• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    So my father in law has a 500 acre hunting lease that has some corn fields and good long sight lines.

The rifle I currently have is a .300 blk that really is more of a 100-150ish yard brush gun/hog rifle I built while I was down in Texas.

I'm currently looking to buy or build a rifle to take deer out of a tree stand at 300-400 yards.

I have done 3 gun and shot 3 position rifle in college and shoot service rifle in CMP marches but with modern long range rifles i'm a bit foggy.

First question is bolt gun or to do a 6mm ARC AR. Does the 6mm Arc have the ability to put a deer down at 400?

The second question is for a bolt gun I'm looking at a 6.5 creedmoor but what would be something that could he had for not unreasonable money? My father in law has a savage axis but those seem a little basic.

Has anyone had any experience with the savage m110s? Is there any other sub $750 bolt guns that I should consider? I personally want a threaded barrel as I would like a suppressor.

And also is there any mid range glass that would be recommended at that distance? Again I don't have much experience with long range optics as I have a fixed 3 power prism and a 1-4x LPvO and have shot ACOGs a bit

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    The groups determine how "basic" a rifle is, don't forget.

If a rifle can shoot 1 MOA in bad conditions, and at your target range deliver a good bullet with 800+ pounds of energy, and 1,800 fps, then it is a killer for sure. If you can get that up to 1,000 lbs and 2,000+ fps, you have a rifle that can deal with less ideal shots.

A rifle that can do 1MOA/1,000 lb/2,000 fps at 1/4 mile is a rifle that is beyond the understanding of any deer, and most hunters.

If you're looking for a place to start spending, it is barrel, sighting system, trigger, loads. That's in order of importance unless anything is required to satisfy the "bad conditions" comment above.

Last edited:

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I am sure there are others that would work, but this caught my eye tonight and I would think it would work nicely.

Add a primary arms 4-16x or similar for around $300

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If ya like long actions a .25-06 would be nice.
    Being silly my next rifle will be a .257 weatherby mag. Just because

Vanguards have a 3 shot MOA guarantee. But im not familiar w Howa stuff.

Cerakote and camo on synth stocks ups the price. Some are threaded for a brake, some come w brake.

Last edited:

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    The groups determine how "basic" a rifle is, don't forget.

If a rifle can shoot 1 MOA in bad conditions, and at your target range deliver a good bullet with 800+ pounds of energy, and 1,800 fps, then it is a killer for sure. If you can get that up to 1,000 lbs and 2,000+ fps, you have a rifle that can deal with less ideal shots.

A rifle that can do 1MOA/1,000 lb/2,000 fps at 1/4 mile is a rifle that is beyond the understanding of any deer, and most hunters.

If you're looking for a place to start spending, it is barrel, sighting system, trigger, loads. That's in order of importance unless anything is required to satisfy the "bad conditions" comment above.
    Well i was looking and 140 grain 6.5 creedmoor ammo just barely makes 2000 fps and 1200 ft ibs at 440 yards

Would be a good place to start and i handload

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I am sure there are others that would work, but this caught my eye tonight and I would think it would work nicely.

Add a primary arms 4-16x or similar for around $300
    Old caliber with a stellar history. You could do much worse.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    So my father in law has a 500 acre hunting lease that has some corn fields and good long sight lines.

The rifle I currently have is a .300 blk that really is more of a 100-150ish yard brush gun/hog rifle I built while I was down in Texas.

I'm currently looking to buy or build a rifle to take deer out of a tree stand at 300-400 yards.

I have done 3 gun and shot 3 position rifle in college and shoot service rifle in CMP marches but with modern long range rifles i'm a bit foggy.

First question is bolt gun or to do a 6mm ARC AR. Does the 6mm Arc have the ability to put a deer down at 400?

The second question is for a bolt gun I'm looking at a 6.5 creedmoor but what would be something that could he had for not unreasonable money? My father in law has a savage axis but those seem a little basic.

Has anyone had any experience with the savage m110s? Is there any other sub $750 bolt guns that I should consider? I personally want a threaded barrel as I would like a suppressor.

And also is there any mid range glass that would be recommended at that distance? Again I don't have much experience with long range optics as I have a fixed 3 power prism and a 1-4x LPvO and have shot ACOGs a bit
    Define "unreasonable" money.

carsgunsandgirls

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2023
    Terre Haute
    6.5 creedmoor is my go to. I have a Bergara B-14 HMR that I run 143 ELD-X in and it is an amazing rifle. I am a big believer in shot placement and shooting accurately. My dad would kill deer a long time ago with a 22lr and always taught me that placement is the most important thing in hunting. The only disadvantage to my Bergara is that it's heavy so if it's a long way to your stand I'd get a lighter rifle and honestly the Springfield Model 2020 Waypoint looks nice on paper, I just can't find one anywhere.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Well i was looking and 140 grain 6.5 creedmoor ammo just barely makes 2000 fps and 1200 ft ibs at 440 yards

Would be a good place to start and i handload
    Good! :) Now, make sure it's a bolt gun of repute, and load 'er up.

140 Partition, or equal+ quality. Don't want a failure on bone when your 400 yard deer is only standing at 40.

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

bgarman47

File Jockey
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 8, 2023
    Ossian
    I'd nudge you towards the Tikka T3X family of rifles. Excellent action, trigger, and stock.

One of the few rifles under $800 that the stock or trigger doesn't need immediately upgraded, IMO.

The stock is quite rigid and has interchangeable palm swells. It doesn't touch the barrel when applying sling or bag pressure, either. The trigger is crisp, adjustable, an doesn't have a goofy dongle on it's face.

Begara B14 would be another good place to start.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Lots of great choices in your range. If you’re looking for best bang for the buck, Savage Axis, used or new model 10, Ruger American, I’m sure one of the mossberg will shoot well too. Calibers? I’d sway towards .308, just because it will easily do the job you want, ammo is ’cheap’ and plentiful, I think I saw you post you reload, so there are a myriad of bullets, brass is everywhere, etc. but a 6.5 Creedmoor will do the job, as will 270, 243, 7-08 and probably a dozen or more other calibers. While the distances you speak of are relatively long range for Indiana, folk have been shooting deer and deer sized critters at those distances for decades, so you’re right in the sweet spot of having a lot of experience and knowledge to draw upon.

Top Bottom