Long Range Newbie looking for.....anything helpful.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    New to the game. Sort of a blank slate you could say. I've been intrigued with the idea of a LR shot for awhile now. Well, it looks like it's coming together. Maybe, heck, it may fly apart, who knows. Ok, so I inherited my fathers Remington 700 chambered in 270 with a Leupold VX-6 to set on top. It's not mounted on it now. The gun is a 1971 ADL w/ wood stock and NO recoil pad at all. I would like to have the ability to take down a deer at 800-1000 yds. My thoughts are to upgrade the stock(found some on Ebay) to a synthetic one w/ recoil pad, maybe two sling studs up front, one for a bipod. Mount the scope and get it on paper. Once on the paper, I don't care if it's zeroed yet, stuff various brands of ammo down range to figure out what it likes by the grouping. I'm thinking 100 yards should be a pretty good indication on grouping. Once that is determined, zero the scope with the proper ammo. My questions are; 1. 20MOA base or zero cant base? 2. What ammo to try during the testing. Manufacture, grain etc. 3. Should I do anything with the new stock to improve or hold accuracy? Best case practices. 4. Recommendations on bipod. Manufacture, adjustment Heights. 5. I feel like I should record the data on the ammo and elements while performing the test but I'm not sure what information to record or what format/layout would work the best. I'm sure I missed a lot, but this is a start. Any and all information is valuable to me. Thanks

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Not sure where you're hunting, but that's a heckuva long shot on a deer in Indiana (assuming the DNR proposal flys). I don't know enough about the scope you're talking about to offer specifics. but at 500yds you'll have over 50" of drop.

Lots of guys who are way better than me will chime in with better advice for you. But my advice would be to go get some marksmanship training, if you haven't already, and wear out a 22LR barrel working on technique.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    1. You gotta have a 20 MOA base for 1000 yards.

2. Remington 130's

3. Be sure to do the dollar bill test.

4. Harris.

5. Use paper and pencil. Record hits and misses. And why.

Post pics of your 1K yard deer.

Last edited:

dennymac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    La Grange, KY
    Good morning. Unless you are loading your own ammo, there is nothing available commercially that will shoot 1000 yards in a .270 and stay supersonic to 1000 yards. Even if you are loading your own, that is still a big step. Hunt closer to home, and shoot closer than 1000 yards. Irresponsible shooters injure more game animals than you can imagine. With all of that being said, bring your firearm and whatever ammo you have to our long range practice day at the Southern Indiana Rifle & Pistol Club. We will help you shoot 500 yards before you go for broke at the big 1000. We shoot the first Saturday of most months. The cost is $5. DennyMac

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    Thanks for the offer DennyMac. I may take you up on that. I haven't taken a deer in 17 yrs and will not with this build. Guess I should have said "man size predator". This is a because I can build. I think it would be a rush to reach out that far and score a hit. I've had the AR out to 300 and done fine. I'm just wanting to step it up. Its all about pushing myself and gear. After all, how many people can really say they can hit at that distance.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    270 is not the round for that.
    Great idea, and a great gun, just not together. Keep the gun and get it out to 600-800, and that's still a great shot on a .270.
    Get something more powerful (or at least with better ballistic coefficient).

Why do you want to shoot a deer at 1000 yds? (I don't intend to tell others what to do, as long as they are being safe and humane -- so the answer "because I want to" is sufficient, but it's more of a rhetorical question) In general, the 500-800 yd range is still a dang long shot on a deer

For what you want to do, get a different gun, OR, adjust your parameters to be closer to a 750 yd shot.
    you can punch paper at 1000 with a 243, but not enough energy for a deer and a clean kill.
    the 7mm-08, or the 260 Rem, or the .308 is your friend if you don't want the big belted magnums.

be safe, and it's certainly possible. Just more possible with a better cartridge

Glennster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    You will need this, once you get a load that groups good, put in the numbers and go.... Test loads at 200 or 300 yards.
    The .270 will go 1,000 yards for target shooting. You need to be sure that the bullet is still traveling at least 1,200 feet per second at 1,000 yards.
    JBM - Calculations - Trajectory

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    It can be done and has been done, but like others have said, the .270win is not usually a recommended "long range" gun. Don't get me wrong, I've got a Savage .270win that I have set up as a "long range" rifle for deer hunting, I rifle hunt in VA by the way. It all comes down to equipment and like someone else above mentioned, in order to get that kind of range with the .270win you must have a 20moa base. A recipe for a 1,000yrd capable round that I have wrote down in one of my reloading manuals in; 165gr Matrix bullets with 58.5gr of H1000 loaded into Winchester casings with CCI BR-2 primers seated @ .020". Not this this will work in any and every rifle but it's something I saw in a magazine or hunting forum or something along those lines. Best of luck in your pursuit.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    With all of that being said, bring your firearm and whatever ammo you have to our long range practice day at the Southern Indiana Rifle & Pistol Club. We will help you shoot 500 yards before you go for broke at the big 1000. We shoot the first Saturday of most months. The cost is $5. DennyMac

This is really cool and a great service to the shooting community. I am really considering this even though I'm in NWI about 4h away. They only other spot to shoot that far would be Youngs, and thats about 2h away, and from the things I've heard about that crowd, I'm not sure if I want to visit.

Thanks for the link, you might see me down there at some point next year!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    In Texas, a good number of people hunt deer with the .270. They like the low recoil and the flatter shooting of that round. Since things are so open there, a 250-300 yard shot in pretty typical. 450 yards is not terribly uncommon. THe .270 is considered pretty light on bullet energy past 300 or so yards. Even if you could hit a deer sized target at 1000, I think you would want something heavier for a humane hunt.

DarkElite220

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2014
    Bloomington
    i would start with a bell & carlson or HS precision stock, one with a full lenth bedding block, a good trigger is going to be a must, in comparison to a rifle basix or Timney triggers, 95 % of factory triggers suck IMO. 20 MOA ONE PIECE scope base will be a must, and probably 1000$ minimum dropped on an optic with enough magnification for a shot like that (24 power most likely) and clear enough glass to see clearly at that distance, that will be a good start....you can do 1000 yards with that rifle target shooting, heck guys do it with 45-70s traveling at 1500 fps at the muzzle and 400 grain bullet, probably wouldnt try it on a live target though.

rem338um

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    lafayette,IN
    WRONG caliber!!! Dont let the FREE gun suck you in...the only thing useable for your needs is the action...throw all else away....or just start with a better "suited for your needs" gun...it will be cheaper in the long run.Buy a good heavy barreled magnum and start from their..7mm or 300 mag.... This is just my 25 years of experience...

Top Bottom