• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • standeford

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I like persimmons. Persimmon pudding really. So to further my goal of eating persimmon pudding I planted some 5' suckers in one of my pastures last fall. They were doing well. Budbreak this spring and had some new shoots and all that good stuff.

Just a couple of days ago I was down there and they were all fine.

So this morning, walking out of the woods after the morning hunt, I find this:

persimmondestroyed.jpg

Obviously not a healthy situation for a tree, it is 100% horizontal. I don't remember hitting it while mowing, no other trees had fallen on it, it isn't like the ground is soft enough for the roots to pull out. For seemingly no reason it had laid over.

Luckily there was a trail cam near it which I checked for evidence:

PICT0014.jpg

So that is the tree in question, and it looks to me like that buck is sizing it up. He looks like he is thinking "I wonder if I could knock this tree over?". Turns out he did more than just wonder, I think he actually went ahead and knocked it over, because that is the only plausible explanation. Showing off for that doe, no doubt.

Also a couple of the other trees had some branches bashed off of them and I'm pretty sure he did that too.

So it looks like if there is going to be persimmon pudding it'll be served with bacon wrapped backstraps.

Last edited:

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    The trees are loaded with persimmons this year. Just starting to drop down south.
    Might try spraying them or hanging tin cans or put a fence ,like around a tomato plant.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    The trees are loaded with persimmons this year. Just starting to drop down south.
    Might try spraying them or hanging tin cans or put a fence ,like around a tomato plant.

I pick up rolls of junk fence when ever I see it. Just cut off a few feet and roll it around the tree a couple times. If you just jiggle it a time or two during the year to keep the bark from growing in to it and you can keep every thing off that damages trees with it.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    It's really too bad the deer took out your tree, but on the other hand..... it's usually tough to convince a deer to bypass a free, easy meal.

standeford

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Indianapolis

I think I'm going to try a Magnus Buzzcut, through the heart.

He came out of the woods this evening but didn't wander close enough for me to try a shot with all the wind. I'm sure there are 50 more just like him that want to destroy my trees, but this is going to be a symbolic victory.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    My tripod on the farm is right over a persimmon tree, and there usually is a busy trail around it. It's so buggy and hot when the persimmons are ready, I never am able to take advantage of them. Now, when the stands are ready and surprisingly, most of the crops are in, not a thing is on the tree. I'd be a millionaire though, if walnuts were a dollar a piece out there.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    evolevo
    Top Bottom