Looking at buying a Honda NC750x DCT ... why not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Any solid reasons to avoid a Honda NC750x with the DCT transmission?

I know there are naysayers who say if it doesn't have a manual transmission then its just a scooter. That is NOT a solid reason to skip this bike. In fact the rheumatoid arthritis in my left wrist is one of the reasons I'm looking at the DCT transmission. Same DCT transmission is used on smaller and larger bikes and seems to be reliable. Also used on 4 wheelers.

I know its not a hard core adventure bike. It also is not the fastest.

It does seem to be a very capable commuter that can run rural highways too. The DCT has been around for over a half dozen years in daily use and seems to be bulletproof. I'm looking for an easy going bike that is capable of long trips, carrying side panniers, and, with proper tires and a few upgrades, managing easy trails/gravel roads/farm tracks.

Anyone have any other bike to recommend that is similar? Or experience with the earlier NC700x model?

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    There exists a group of mature gentlemen in Albany who call themselves "The Albany Retreads" in sort of a tongue in cheek manner. They enjoy long group rides, as far south as the Ohio, and many of them run Honda scooters. They like 'em.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Looking at buying a Honda NC750x DCT ... why not?

Harley Davidson
    Because if you're going out, you might as well go out in style. (I mean this both ways)

If it's an AUTO trans you're going for, Harley might have them. I don't know. But, you could get an Automatic on a Harley trike. You always could put anything in one of those. A V8 if you wanted to.
    Growing up when the biker gangs were pumping in the 70s and 80s, there was always at least one big guy on a trike in the huge stream of choppers cruising in the back of the pack. Every single time.

Yep, you could be that one goofy fat guy on a tricycle coming up the rear....... in style of course. :):

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Harley Davidson
    Because if you're going out, you might as well go out in style. ...

Pretty hard to take a Harley on off road/gravel road conditions for wilderness camping in fairly remote areas. I'm not planning to use this as a hard core adventure bike but it will going places where a "cruiser" style bike is simply not well suited. Not maneuverable enough, too low, too heavy.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    As a teenager I had a Honda 90 trail bike that was an auto. It was a blast to ride. Could do 50 mph if needed. If I were to get another bike it would be it's big brother.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    As a teenager I had a Honda 90 trail bike that was an auto. It was a blast to ride. Could do 50 mph if needed. If I were to get another bike it would be it's big brother.

This would be a 750cc bigger brother. The little 90 likely had a simple CVT transmission, which is common in small motorbikes and scooters. This uses the Dual Clutch Transmission, which has multiple modes, torque, traction settings to allow the rider to adjust the bike's transmission to the terrain.

This is pretty much what I'm looking at, but I'd probably NOT get the top box for the back. I'd strap a smaller duffle with a tent across the back. I will be getting side boxes, probably the same boxes shown in this photo. Tires would be upgraded to something a little more (not a lot) aggressive.
    maxresdefault.jpg

Top Bottom