• ...and so much more!
  • andyoz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    North Central
    .357 or .44 mag options/suggestions

Looking at getting my youth son a rifle for deer ( not this season). I want him to be
    comfortable handling and be proficient at shooting, so next year is even undecided.
    My original thought was a .357 rifle so that he can practice with .38 specials then move to the .357 mag. However I have thought of just jumping up to the .44 mag rifle and having low recoil loads to practice with then he can move up and use the gun for several years.

Anyone done anything similar or different for their youngster?
    How reduced of a recoil can be accomplished with a low recoil .44?

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    muzzleloader is also good

Can start with 1 50gr pellet and increase as they get older.

The plus to that is, you get more hunting season.

stlaser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    I'd get him a nice older 44mag marlin lever & build some lighter hand loads and it would be a rifle he could grow into eventually.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My 8 yr. old shoots a .44 handi-rifle. I load it down for him with 9 gr. Unique under a 200 gr. Nosler JHP. It is light enough recoiling that he can PRACTICE with it and he has now taken two deer with it. He had pass throughs on both and the deer didn't go far. The handi rifle he shoots is a cut down laminated pallet wood stock, so it is a heavy rifle (also helps with recoil and steadiness.) With his load there is only about 4 lbs. of recoil energy as opposed to about 16 lbs. with a full house .44 load. Felt recoil has alot to do with gun fit, many make the mistake of having youngsters shoot guns with too long a LOP, which amplifies the felt recoil for them. A good recoil pad makes a big difference too. I've got nothing against the .357, it will get the job done as well. But the .44 can be loaded down to or up to whatever you want it to be. If you don't reload then you can have him shoot .44 specials.

Last edited:

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    I dont know what they cost, but the new AAC handi rifle in 300 blk is a cool little gun. Enough power in the 300blk to take a deer, but not to rough on the shoulder. Suppresses very well.
    IMG_4357-1.jpg

jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    I put together a Handi-Rifle for my son that started as a .357 mag 22" bbl. that I sent to Mike Bellm and had rechambered to .357 MAX, cut to 18", and re-crowned. It's about as ideal a youth rifle as it gets in my opinion-

andyoz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    North Central
    There can only be one choice--a Bailey Bradshaw.:D

Small bore double rifle

If you don't want to drop that kind of coin, how about a Ruger 77/357?

Do you have a price range for us to play with? I have all kinds of ideas!:laugh:

Around 500-600 for a gun that will last, and around 300 for a gun that he may outgrow.

Ruger 77/357 has been considered but if I spend that much I'd rather jump to the Ruger 77/44 and lighten the loads, then it's a caliber he doesn't outgrow......and I like the 3-position safety factor with the bolt action Ruger.

LOP is another thing I need to consider, will start searching for a youth/collapsible stock for what sounds like the ruger 77 and the handi.

The 357 Max, is something that I'm not familiar with...gives me something else to consider, how much extra cost is involved?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Cool little rifle, but wouldn't be legal in Indiana. Bullet diam. is too small out of a rifle (.357 minimum.);)

Legal for what?

Would be a great squirrel gun... coyote... Rabbit...

It IS deer legal; Just not regular-season deer. It's legal under the depredation permit.

-J-

cfgunworks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Clinton Co.
    I put together a Handi-Rifle for my son that started as a .357 mag 22" bbl. that I sent to Mike Bellm and had rechambered to .357 MAX, cut to 18", and re-crowned. It's about as ideal a youth rifle as it gets in my opinion-

I like the .357 Max for a youth deer rifle. Lighter bullets at higher velocities offer very manageable recoil with good accuracy and effective performance. My good friend chambered a contender carbine in .357 Max for his then 13 year old daughter. She's taken a buck with it every year for the last 6 with clean one shot kills.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If I were inclined...

I'd look into a .44Mag handi rifle. Either do light loads or .44 Spcl - then work up to standard loads. Then up to the hot rods.

Then YOU would have an excuse to buy yourself a .44Mag revolver....ahem.

-J-

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I'm facing the same dilemma, and my son isn't quite there yet, but here are some options I'm mulling over....

A muzzleloader.
    Single shots (interchangeable barrels can make it more versatile).
    Download my rifle to .35 Rem/.357 Max territory.

If my choices were .357 Mag or .44 Mag in a lever action, I'd go with the .45 Colt.

If my choices were .357 Mag or .44 Mag in a single shot I'd go with .357 Mag and then ream it to .357 Max, like jsn_mooney did, when he's ready and able to go past 100 yards.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LOP is another thing I need to consider, will start searching for a youth/collapsible stock for what sounds like the ruger 77 and the handi.

The 357 Max, is something that I'm not familiar with...gives me something else to consider, how much extra cost is involved?

You won't find a youth stock for the 77/44 or 77/.357. The inletting for these is different than the standard 77's.

You will find youth stocks for the handi rifle.

The .357 maxi is a fabulous deer round, and it only takes about 20 minutes of work with the reamer to rework a .357 chamber. Many on here and around the state have done it with great success.

andyoz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    North Central
    Muzzleloader is a good thought, can manipulate the bullet and powder and gradually increase until lethal enough for deer.......hmmm

I have had smoke rolling from my laptop searching for a youth stock for the Ruger 77/357 or 44 without luck...and that would make a great youth rifle too! IMO :dunno:

Talked to my LGS owner and he was talking about setting a few youth rifles up for prototypes in the off season, including a. 357 max. I might to wait on the rifle and see how those turn out and who knows, maybe a better option will come out before.

Decisions, decisions. I'll just take one of everything!!! :rockwoot:

Top Bottom