• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I've been thinking about your neck problem, Gary. A rifle designed for Silhouette shooting from the get go may be part of your answer. Stock cut a bit different, designed to be shot from a more upright position. They don't fit my use for my rimfires but I did own a Kimber set up like that for a while.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If you guys get a date set and wouldn't mind a third, I'd be interested in meeting up. PM, text or call.

Hey gm! We never did get together this summer: you have been busy.
    Sounds like you put the Shadow 2 down and picked up your .22LR distance shooting.
    I used to read of your adventures, but not so much lately.

I've been thinking about your neck problem, Gary. A rifle designed for Silhouette shooting from the get go may be part of your answer. Stock cut a bit different, designed to be shot from a more upright position. They don't fit my use for my rimfires but I did own a Kimber set up like that for a while.

I googled it to learn more.
    I have to leave now to sell my Shield 2.0, but maybe when I get back I can check into it.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Listen, if *I* can hit a steel IPSC target at 211 yards with a 5" .22lr pistol topped with a Burris Fast Fire II, SURELY you can hit a 200 yard steel target with a scoped .22lr rifle. :D

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Listen, if *I* can hit a steel IPSC target at 211 yards with a 5" .22lr pistol topped with a Burris Fast Fire II, SURELY you can hit a 200 yard steel target with a scoped .22lr rifle. :D

He probably can, but don't call him Shirley (surely). :)

I just can't ever resist that joke!:):

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've only had 1 person interested in buying the Henry, but they didn't need a scope.
    Since I'm not much of a salesman, I told him he could buy a Henry for $300 +/-; I did over a year ago, but sold it b/c I couldn't see anything with it.
    It never occurred to to me that I needed a scope. :laugh:
    I dialed it in for my 50' range and enjoyed myself with it.
    Actually, it was sheer torture b/c nothing fits, but it is more accurate than me anyway.
    I only shot for 1/2 hour and it felt like 2 hours b/c of everything my neck has to go through to see through the scope.
    Since I don't care for the lever action anyway I'm not going to spend the money for higher rails and rings.
    I have the comfort of my Ruger 10/22 & Ruger Precision Rifle.
    Someday, maybe a CZ 455 or 457: I'm in no hurry.

Only 50'. I got it dialed in on the bottom 6 targets. Just shooting a little high and had to bring the elevation down some for 50'.
    KgXAr80.jpg

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Hey gm! We never did get together this summer: you have been busy.
    Sounds like you put the Shadow 2 down and picked up your .22LR distance shooting.
    I used to read of your adventures, but not so much lately..

I didn't put down the Shadow 2 but added an AR9 and the .22LR. By late in the summer I was shooting 3 Steel challenge matches a month with the Shadow 2 and AR9 (PCC category) and NRL22 with the .22 rifle. We have an NRL22 match in the morning. Going to be a chilly start.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I've only had 1 person interested in buying the Henry, but they didn't need a scope.
    Since I'm not much of a salesman, I told him he could buy a Henry for $300 +/-; I did over a year ago, but sold it b/c I couldn't see anything with it.
    It never occurred to to me that I needed a scope.

8< 8< 8< SNIP 8< 8< 8<
    You do realize that scopes are not permanently attached to the rifle? If you want best results, you should be putting the best scope you own on the rifle you are wanting to keep and/or are fiddling around with. That Leupold scope may be the best of what you currently own.

I think that you didn't complete the sale of the Henry because subconsciously you want to fiddle around with it some more to make it work. Else, you'd have stripped off whatever the potential buyer didn't want and sold the extras items separately.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You do realize that scopes are not permanently attached to the rifle? If you want best results, you should be putting the best scope you own on the rifle you are wanting to keep and/or are fiddling around with. That Leupold scope may be the best of what you currently own.
    I think that you didn't complete the sale of the Henry because subconsciously you want to fiddle around with it some more to make it work. Else, you'd have stripped off whatever the potential buyer didn't want and sold the extras items separately.

Great point! :thumbsup:
    I had another member mention that to me in a private text.
    But, for whatever reason, I find it nearly impossible to get a full sight pic with the Leupold scope, where the Nikon seems to do better.
    Remember, I'm having difficulty adjusting to full magnification and still be able to see the crosshairs. :wallbash:
    Perhaps this Friday when I am meeting a member at Point Blank range in Greenwood, who is more experienced with scopes can show me what I'm doing wrong to not benefit from a superior scope with my poor adjustments.:ugh:
    It could be as simple as it needs to be higher & further back like my other 2 scopes.
    But, I have tried to turn the rifle on its side and manipulate my eye & scope independent of that to get a full sight pic, but it eludes me. :dunno:
    Very frustrating. Probably shooting with someone with the experience of a 10 yr. old would be able to point out what I'm doing wrong with the focus.
    I'm not against moving around the scopes to my best advantage of my old trifocal eyes if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Great point! :thumbsup:
    I had another member mention that to me in a private text.
    But, for whatever reason, I find it nearly impossible to get a full sight pic with the Leupold scope, where the Nikon seems to do better.
    Remember, I'm having difficulty adjusting to full magnification and still be able to see the crosshairs. :wallbash:
    Perhaps this Friday when I am meeting a member at Point Blank range in Greenwood, who is more experienced with scopes can show me what I'm doing wrong to not benefit from a superior scope with my poor adjustments.:ugh:
    It could be as simple as it needs to be higher & further back like my other 2 scopes.
    But, I have tried to turn the rifle on its side and manipulate my eye & scope independent of that to get a full sight pic, but it eludes me. :dunno:
    Very frustrating. Probably shooting with someone with the experience of a 10 yr. old would be able to point out what I'm doing wrong with the focus.
    I'm not against moving around the scopes to my best advantage of my old trifocal eyes if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    Diopter adjustment. First thing you should perform with any scope new to YOU. Everyone's eyes are different. The scope was adjusted to my eyesight and not yours. Get the instruction manual out of the Leupold box that I gave you and read it. Adjust the scope the way the instructions tell you to. This should fix your issue. Apologies I didn't mention this sooner.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Diopter adjustment. First thing you should perform with any scope new to YOU. Everyone's eyes are different. The scope was adjusted to my eyesight and not yours. Get the instruction manual out of the Leupold box that I gave you and read it. Adjust the scope the way the instructions tell you to. This should fix your issue. Apologies I didn't mention this sooner.

Hey T-Dogg! :thumbsup: Good to hear from you!
    You would think I'd look up the directions 1st thing, but, I thought I was smart enough to adjust a scope. :coffee:
    How did that work out for me? :ugh:

I did take it to the range to give it another chance, and I just didn't see it coming that I don't prefer a lever action on a rest.
    When I had my other Henry about 2 yrs. ago I wasn't using a scope so there was no issue (other than I couldn't see :laugh:), and I don't think the arthritis was as bad then.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Last time at the range with the Henry Golden Boy that I bought off a member here.
    I was so glad to get this with its Leupold scope & cheek rest.
    But, it just didn't fit with my neck issues: scope needed to be higher & back toward my eye more, which was fixable, but I found I didn't prefer a lever action for the range.
    It's to be sold in West Lafayette Friday from someone who is really glad to get it with its present setup.

50' (-17 yards) using CCI SV in the head, torso, and top line of bottom rows of targets, but tried Remington Golden Bullets HV on the last line of targets (shot high with them).
    I had to compensate by learning to shoot lower since I didn't want to change the dialing-in I had done with the CCI/SV.
    The torso/heart shots, after shooting the 4 other targets with CCI was my 1st time getting 1 ragged hole, but nothing to brag about at 50' (-17 yards).
    5Vrevk5.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range day testing out my original Ruger Precision Rifle (bolt action) that I bought to have a different flavor from my Ruger 10/22 Mannlicher semi-automatic that I bought from a member here months ago with a Nikon ProStaff Rimfire scope.
    I picked up another RPR with "Green Mountain" barrel & a better scope (Hawke).

This is today's shooting before I sell my original RPR, which was not bought from a member here.
    25 yards / 75 feet.
    Head & last row is with the Green Mountain barrel with Hawke scope.
    Torso & next to last bottom row is the stock RPR with the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire scope.
    AW4MKDG.jpg

Pics of my three .22LR rifles.
    Top is the Ruger semi-automatic with the Nikon ProStaff Rimfire scope.
    Middle is the Ruger Precision Rifle I bought originally with the Nikon Buckmasters scope.
    Bottom is the Ruger Precision rifle I just picked up with the Hawke scope.
    You'll notice that all have high rails and rings & come back quite toward the eye that I need b/c of neck issues.
    XBrj7X6.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    An adjustable objective scope is pretty nice to have on a rimfire.
    Most rimfire scopes not adjustable, are set for 50 yards.
    Big game scopes set for 150 can work, but usually at 25 yards 4X is about all the mag you can use.

Rimfire adjustable objective scopes may adjust down to 10 yards. Depending on model.

Have seen adj objective varmint scopes that go as short as 50 yards. Some go down to 25 yuards.
    Leupold used to make an adapter for their old AO scopes, for 50 ft.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ran a 2-7X on my old 1022 SPC, max was 4x at 25 yards and 6X at 50 yards.
    Did .75" at 50 w CCI Blazer. W orig bbl.
    Proly shoulda kept it. But it was an SPC
    and only around 540 of them made, so somebody else really wanted it :)

Trying to decide on what to slap on my 70 SP.
    The newer rimfire 4X is too stubby (had one on birch mannlicher 10/22).
    Think a reg M8 4X is what I'll get.

Note: for 25 bucks plus shipping Leupold will change parallax on a scope.

Top Bottom