Looking for a 22/410 combo for hunting, which ones are good?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Oh the savage model 24 c (camper) is one of the good ones. With case and the shell holder in the but stock.
    So is the 24dlx (deluxe) two tone with the fake engraving in 22 mag over 20. With high comb stock.

The savage or Stevens is top dog over them all. I have a few of the versions before they got expensive when the were discontinued.
    the two above are both 22 or 22 mag over 20 gauge which I like because 410 are expensive shells.

The camper a near perfect starter tree rat gun and the deluxe a near perfect fox gun. One all around hunting combo.

the weird one I have is a 357 mag over 20 gauge which is not legal to deer hunt with even with both being legal rounds. A small error in the hunting laws which state combo shotgun rifles are not permitted. Savage sold very few of these. So for the lost part they do not exist in the numbers to gain an outcry of support for the deer hunting community. They also made a 30/30 over 20 even more rare for a couple years.

The model 42 I would leave at the gun shop.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I actually held a new savage 42 yesterday at Dicks. It was $350 and I wanted another chance to look it over. It's no M6 scout, but it got me thinking that is this day and age where gun nuts feel like we have to modify everything that there'd be some aftermarket products out there to replace the plastic sights. With sights made of plastic it doesn't dazzle me, but if there were some steel after market sights that could replace them then we might have something.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I just looked at a pic of the gun, both the front and rear are plastic? If it were me I would buy an extra front sight assembly, bring it to work and model one in metal as a prototype. Is it one piece and it pressure fits by tightening the screw in the middle? Makes me think of Keltec Sub2K sights.

I would look at having a set of Tech sights modified and put on it or try something from XS like one of their specialty sights. Tech would give you better precision for the rifle, XS would give you something that could be more of a trade off sight. This is also similar to the Keltec Sub 2000 in that now you are quickly turning a $350 gun into a $500 one or even more. It's OK if this is something you really want but now you can start to make the argument for buying a $600 bolt gun

IMHO buying a used one from the 50's or 60's is best. I saw 4 or 5 at the last gun show up here in June. All the old guys that owned them are dying and they turn up for sale. They are much better then the new Russian made versions of the last decade.

Did you ever consider something like a Rossi single shot combo set?

Tech-SIGHTS Precision Shooting Accessories

https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8198

red dot on one

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've got tech sights on a 10-22 and I really like them. I have no complaints about them at all especially since I can't stand regular 10-22 sights.

You're right though, if I'm going to dump another hundred or more into it I'd easily be over $400 into the gun when a springfield m6 scout would be within reason at that point.

I grew up with a single shot 410 and I liked it. It's still at the parents house and here lately I've been thinking of "borrowing" it and trying out a 410, 22lr adapter. The adapters are only $30 or so on amazon, so it'd be worth a try at least.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    When I was 8, my first survival kit was the one my Dad had kept strapped to his leg in Vietnam. I am partial to USAF stuff and the M6 was the only combo gun I ever wanted but never bought it. True regret there, the original SBR versions are cool. That, and the original Marbles game getter. Cutting down an M6 to make something like that would be cool. I shot my Dad's old one was a I very young. I wish he had kept it. Hmmmmmm.........................

and then there is this, which in .223 would be awesome
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_Survival_Rifle

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Then he should buy a .410 shotgun, I used a Winchester Model 42 and a .22lr wheel gun in Indiana in 1977 and killed enough game to feed as many people as I wanted. For variety I would swap out the M42 for a .44mag Contender with hotshot shells and carry a Marlin 39a. Both, very heavy guns.Then in the early 80's I upgraded to a Ruger MKII Target with bull barrel, open sights on squirrel to 25, with a B-Square mount and scope to 50. I could carry the scope and mount if needed as it was a return to zero mount.Today if I wanted multi-species in one hunt and the lightest guns possible I would carry an 18" 20 gauge with vent rib and a Ruger 22/45 Lite with a can in my pack.Nobody learns to shoot anything better with a compromise gun that is overly heavy and underly capable. Same applies to a .410. Lots of us learned on one, but I never teach a new shooter on one now, I know better.Another light weight option is a Chipmunk rifle. May not be macho, but stuffs easily in a day pack and gives you a full 16" barrel and you can mount optics on it. I keep one by the back door to cover my garden and have been known to toss it in my pack when carrying a shotgun. Whe you think about it, it is basically a 2.5lb handgun with shoulder stock. There are lots of ways to go, I own all of the above, and other light weight options that kill too. NO way in hell I would want .410 in a serious combo, even though I have killed plenty of game with one. Just me and my hands on experience. There is also nothing wrong with a light weight 12 gauge because you can adjust performance of the gun with ammo, same way I can run 1 1/4 oz loads in 20 gauge.

Show me a kid that can hit a can at 50 yds with a red rider and ill show you a kid that can ping 8" steel at 800. The arguement that a wider margin for error makes a better shot holds no water. Id say you are to far out of pulling the trigger on a gun for the first time, and I'd wager you didnt become a good shot by having an advantage. While I fully agree the 12ga is probably the best you can get for indiana though I enjoy shooting a 16 ga more its hard to look away from lead in the air as a game getter. Regardless of my preference for gauge 410 is fun to shoot 12 ga protects my castle and I just took inventory I need more ammo for both...

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    http://www.mcace.com/shotguninserts.htmUOTE=teddy12b;5398788]I've got tech sigha 10-22 and I really like them. I have no complaints about them at all especially since I can't stand regular 10-22 sights.

You're right though, if I'm going to dump another hundred or more into it I'd easily be over $400 into the gun when a springfield m6 scout would be within reason at that point.

I grew up with a single shot 410 and I liked it. It's still at the parents house and here lately I've been thinking of "borrowing" it and trying out a 410, 22lr adapter. The adapters are only $30 or so on amazon, so it'd be worth a try at least.[/QUOTE]

They make up to an 18" 22 adapter from an alaskan machine ahop but they are salty and excessive they also made a 9 " version ill see if I can track them down.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oh the savage model 24 c (camper) is one of the good ones. With case and the shell holder in the but stock.
    So is the 24dlx (deluxe) two tone with the fake engraving in 22 mag over 20. With high comb stock.

The savage or Stevens is top dog over them all. I have a few of the versions before they got expensive when the were discontinued.
    the two above are both 22 or 22 mag over 20 gauge which I like because 410 are expensive shells.

The camper a near perfect starter tree rat gun and the deluxe a near perfect fox gun. One all around hunting combo.

the weird one I have is a 357 mag over 20 gauge which is not legal to deer hunt with even with both being legal rounds. A small error in the hunting laws which state combo shotgun rifles are not permitted. Savage sold very few of these. So for the lost part they do not exist in the numbers to gain an outcry of support for the deer hunting community. They also made a 30/30 over 20 even more rare for a couple years.

The model 42 I would leave at the gun shop.

I have one of the .357 Magnums over 20 gauge as well...They are rare birds and fetch good prices on gunbroker...Both Game wardens I asked told me I could deer hunt with it and then when I told them I couldn't and showed them the regulations they both thought that was "pretty darn dumb.."

Top Bottom