• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ADT knights

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Hendricks County
    I know this is a "gun owners" website but with deer season coming soon I'm looking to get a bow so I can spend more time in the woods. Any suggestions on some good bows? I've heard that Mission has good stuff, made by Mathews but not as costly.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    With the price of bows these days it can also depend on how much you want to spend. I think bows have come along way this past decade an all should be pretty good, I've always heard good things about Mathews...lots to know about getting the right bow, if your a novice in knowledge I highly recommend seeing a dealer who can tell you what draw length to have, what poundage you think you will shoot which is crucial in getting the right arrow to match....good luck an good hunting!!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Pick something used that you can shoot comfortably and stick to your range. Over the years I don't think I have ever taken a shot more than 25 yards.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I know this is a "gun owners" website but with deer season coming soon I'm looking to get a bow so I can spend more time in the woods. Any suggestions on some good bows? I've heard that Mission has good stuff, made by Mathews but not as costly.

Looks good ,go for it. And I shoot a Hoyt.

JDubb

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Frankfort IN
    They sell the Mission brand for around 329 decked out except for the dead end sting stop. I shoot a Martin from dick's sporting goods.

rookie0014

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    kokomo
    I looked at gettin a new bow this year figured it was time to up grade from my old bear brown bear bow. I shot a pse brute force and a matt, they r nice bows fast and quiet. I wound yp gettin a martin threshold I shoots good I got it half dozen gold tip arrows the quiver that come with it and changed the rest to a whisker biscut and out the door ready to shoot with the sights was only 345. Been shootin it a lot and I like it it is not super fast only 305 ibo but it will work lot faster and quieter than what I had, plus less than half what the pse or matt was gonna cost me.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    To the OP. I'd also check out the Bowtech brand. with bowtech you are not buying the name, you are buying a great bow at a great price. they are as reliable as the big name bows too.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I bought mine used,but it was like new,someone put a lot of money into it ,I'd say 1200.00 if I would have bought all the acc. that was on it. I got it from the local archery shop, that I do most of my business at. I think I pd. 500.00. Some people have to have the newest and best,and the resale value of bows is around 50 percent. Good way to capitolize on a good deal. If you know your draw lenth, I've saw some excellent deals on Ebay. Mathews,Hoyt,ect.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Go to a pro shop and shoot some bows in your price range and then "let the bow pick you". All MFG's make good bows, getting one that fits you is the most important step in becoming a good shot.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Are you thinking of only buying a compound bow, or are you thinking of getting a real longbow?

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I started with a PSE nova a couple of years ago. I didn't want to spend a ton on money on something I wasn't sure I'd like. I fell in love with it instantly and have since gone exclusively to bowhunting even for small game. I've upgraded but I like to stick with what works for me so I stayed in the PSE family and bought the Brute LT. Love it!!

Point being that the bow mfg doesn't matter much these days. They're all fast, most are relatively quiet. I shot the Mathews Z7 this year and honestly couldn't tell a difference in groupings or noise versus my Brute. The only difference was the price tag.

Much of bow hunting is about confidence. I'm confident that if an animal presents me a shot within 50 yards, they're going to be dinner. My advice for what it's worth is to not spend a ton of jack on a new bow, sight it in, and get out in the field with it. If you love it (which I'm sure you will) then look at upgrading your rig for next season.

You can find a good used bow for less than $200. You'll have to get it tuned and fitted for you which will cost you another $50-$85.

Good luck this season. Hope you fill your freezer!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Go to Ebay and type "Handcrafted longbow". Items like this Handcrafted longbow. 58" hickory 50# @ 26" - eBay (item 250571895648 end time Sep-26-10 15:03:50 PDT) will pop up.

I bought one of these years ago in 70# and it's a fine bow. I just bought another one today in 50# because this thread made me think of it.

When I think of bows and bow hunting, I don't think of compound bows with fiber optic sights and all that other stuff. If I get enough practice in with my new bow I may go out during bow season this year.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I've heard good things about the Archery store in Noblesville. I think they have weird hours though so you might want to call them before you head out. I don't know if they have a website or not.

Backyard Archery Inc
    1111 Westfield Road
    Noblesville, IN 46062-9277
    (317) 776-9498

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I shoot an older PSE Baby-G, handed down after my dad got his new Matthews Legacy, he says the Matthews is a lot easier and more forgiving to shoot, but was also more expensive.
    We've always shot PSE until his new Matthews.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Go to Ebay and type "Handcrafted longbow". Items like this Handcrafted longbow. 58" hickory 50# @ 26" - eBay (item 250571895648 end time Sep-26-10 15:03:50 PDT) will pop up.

I bought one of these years ago in 70# and it's a fine bow. I just bought another one today in 50# because this thread made me think of it.

When I think of bows and bow hunting, I don't think of compound bows with fiber optic sights and all that other stuff. If I get enough practice in with my new bow I may go out during bow season this year.

Good to hear!!! Although I do shoot a compound bow, it's still the same Jennings Sidekick I bought almost thirty years ago...no sights or counterweights and stuff! There's no bigger adrenaline rush than deer stalking. :cheers:

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Go to a pro shop and shoot some bows in your price range and then "let the bow pick you". All MFG's make good bows, getting one that fits you is the most important step in becoming a good shot.

This. Get measured and try as many bows set up correctly for you as you can.

Top Bottom