Looking for a computer geek to help work on Concealed Carry rights site.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NightOwl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    North of the Corn!
    I have been toying with the idea to start a website called "No Carry, No Cash" for quite some time. You enter your zip code and any business that does not allow concealed carry or has expressed anti-gun sentiments would be listed. Maybe we would list them by catagories also: restaurants, bars/nightclubs, retail stores, etc. And then, the consumers can decide wether or not they want to spend their money at a particular business. The site could also give kudos to any business that is pro-gun!:): I have some computer competency, but I think I would need an actual geek to help me run the site. I don't see any profit here, just a service to all Americans who want to stand-up for their 2nd Amendment rights!:patriot:
    Any computer geeks interested?

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    find a web hosting service that will pre-install Joomla or Wordpress for you. From that point on you don't really need much skill to create/run the site unless you want to start doing fancy things.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Having a database would be required. Many people have been requesting such a database. But you know, then you have to basically use MySql, and wire your website into it. Plus you'd probably need a management interface so you could add companies to the list. Actually, it isn't that hard, since the database would require only a few fields, the company name, address, policy, etc. Pretty basic stuff for a real web developer. I don't have time though, I'm too busy writing mobile apps now. But let me know if you make the database, and I can maybe write a mobile app to go along with it by tapping into the existing database. I think someone may have already done this though, but I doubt they did it properly with a database. Any idiot can make a website or app with a list in it, but to be able to sort, filter, and query (find), you need it to be data driven.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    If there are places that only prohibit concealed carry, why not just carry openly there?

Such a place wouldn't really be anti-gun, just anti-concealment, right?

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Having a database would be required. Many people have been requesting such a database. But you know, then you have to basically use MySql, and wire your website into it. Plus you'd probably need a management interface so you could add companies to the list. Actually, it isn't that hard, since the database would require only a few fields, the company name, address, policy, etc. Pretty basic stuff for a real web developer. I don't have time though, I'm too busy writing mobile apps now. But let me know if you make the database, and I can maybe write a mobile app to go along with it by tapping into the existing database. I think someone may have already done this though, but I doubt they did it properly with a database. Any idiot can make a website or app with a list in it, but to be able to sort, filter, and query (find), you need it to be data driven.

Pretty much this. It's not too hard, but there are some development skills required. MySQL for the databasing, perhaps a bit of Ruby on Rails for the web interface... What you really need to think about is upkeep and maintenance. Who is going to enter all of the information (you, users, power users?)? Who is going to check for erroneous entries? If you decide to do this, post your progress. Good luck!

NightOwl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    North of the Corn!
    If there are places that only prohibit concealed carry, why not just carry openly there?

Such a place wouldn't really be anti-gun, just anti-concealment, right?

I believe it is State Law that if a business has a "No Weapons" sign up you are in violation of your permit if you take a gun in there! If you would like to be the first test case give it a try and post your findings.:patriot:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    K.I.S.S; use Google Docs are the platform. Simple spreadsheet with a few Cols (Name, Type of Business, Address, Zip Code). User can just filter on the col(s) they want.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I believe it is State Law that if a business has a "No Weapons" sign up you are in violation of your permit if you take a gun in there! If you would like to be the first test case give it a try and post your findings.:patriot:

Well, many test this every day and I've not heard of any negative results. Can you cite where it's a violation of our license to carry a gun into a business with a "No Weapons" sign? I'm certainly not saying it doesn't exist, but as much exchange of information about this topic on INGO, I'm sure someone would have posted the IC by now.

NightOwl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    North of the Corn!
    Thanks netsecurity and searpinski for the info- I am willing to commit some grunt time to upkeeping the site. I am NOT trained in IT! I was thinking that site users would submit anti-gun businesses and there would be a type of "thumbs-up/thumbs-down" rating system that would allow a one time vote from each IP address so people could agree or not that this is an anti-gun establishment. One vote would help assure people are not able to "sway the numbers" pro or con. Places like Starbucks and Helsburg Jewelers would be easy as they have stated a public policy against Right To Carry- and this would be listed on the site. Maybe this is too big a project to do part-time, but I really think we as gun owners need to start fighting back against anti-gun hysteria and Libtard stupidity. They do EVERYTHING they can to take our rights AWAY from US!

"No Carry, No Cash"...hit 'em where it hurts!

:patriot::xmad:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    OP, the laws about concealed carry vary from state to state. In Indiana, the No Weapons signs do not carry the force of law in private businesses. In Wisconsin, they do.

Edit, BTW Love your Avatar.

NightOwl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    North of the Corn!
    Well, many test this every day and I've not heard of any negative results. Can you cite where it's a violation of our license to carry a gun into a business with a "No Weapons" sign? I'm certainly not saying it doesn't exist, but as much exchange of information about this topic on INGO, I'm sure someone would have posted the IC by now.

I also lived in Florida a few years ago, so that may be where I heard about the "no guns" signs. Anyway here is some info I found on CCW at Lighthouse Outlet Mall in Michigan City, IN- **************************************************************************

"Hey I live in Indiana and have been to the outlet mall in Mich. City several times.
    Lighthouse Outlet mall is owned by Simon Malls. Simon has a no firearm policy on their properties. However, in Indiana posting a "No Firearms" sign carries no weight. You can CC or OC there all you want (In. is a carry state so you can OC or CC here. Whichever you're more comfortable with). If someone from the mall security or one of the managers of a store asks you to leave then you have to leave. If no one says anything then you're good to go. I've OC and CC at a local Simon mall and never had anyone say anything to me. Just don't put up a fight when they ask you to leave. I know a lot of firearm owners boycott Simon Malls but that's your choice. I don't because it's the only local mall. I think most of the local managment and security know that In. is a carry state and usually they just go with state laws. You get the occasional a-hole though that wants to be a hardass and asks you to leave. *coughHomeDepotcough*"

"Interesting. I came across a statement of the policy of Simon Malls on the site, Second Amendment Check (Boycott Simon Malls | Second Amendment Check):

“Possession of any weapon at Simon malls, whether concealed or displayed openly, is in violation of mall policy. This policy is intended first and foremost to maintain a safe, secure and comfortable environment at our malls, which has always been our top priority, and to avoid any situation that could potentially place at risk the safety of our shoppers and employees.

Simon malls are private property, and like virtually every other facility in the community that is accessible by the public, ownership/management has the right to prohibit the possession of weapons, both displayed or concealed, other than licensed weapons carried by law enforcement personnel.

Julie Rigby – Longview Mall Manager”
    So, maybe this site, Second Amendment Check, is already doing what I have proposed- I'll check it out.

EDIT----------

It appears this site "Second Amendment Check" only targets Simon Malls properties.

NightOwl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    North of the Corn!
    OP, the laws about concealed carry vary from state to state. In Indiana, the No Weapons signs do not carry the force of law in private businesses. In Wisconsin, they do.

Edit, BTW Love your Avatar.

Agreed about the laws being different, but even still, if my gun's not welcome than neither is my money!!!:ar15:

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    almost all places have competition. If Walmart didn't allow you to carry you could always go to meijer or Kroger or something. I know Walmart allows.guns though.

The only time you need to violate the sign directions are when the place have no competition . Like movie theaters. Then you CC in and open carry out. You can boycott the theater if you want. But I'd rather watch the movie cause it ain't worth driving halfway across the world to find a pro gun theater. What can they do? Ask you to leave? So far nobody has even said a word though...

BUT I did hear a woman say WHAT THE ****? As I was taking my jacket off leaving the auditorium. Don't know if it was towards me or not though

It is so cold in those rooms I usually wear the jacket even during.the movie.

NightOwl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    North of the Corn!
    almost all places have competition. If Walmart didn't allow you to carry you could always go to meijer or Kroger or something. I know Walmart allows.guns though.

The only time you need to violate the sign directions are when the place have no competition . Like movie theaters. Then you CC in and open carry out. You can boycott the theater if you want. But I'd rather watch the movie cause it ain't worth driving halfway across the world to find a pro gun theater. What can they do? Ask you to leave? So far nobody has even said a word though...

BUT I did hear a woman say WHAT THE ****? As I was taking my jacket off leaving the auditorium. Don't know if it was towards me or not though

It is so cold in those rooms I usually wear the jacket even during.the movie.

Yeh 10-4 all that, I agree to a certain extent, but I think gun owners need to start "coming out of the closet" so to speak and standing up for our rights. Hell, a bunch of breastfeeding moms shut-down a pizza place here in Mishawaka because a women that was breastfeeding was asked to "take it outside" a few days before. They had a rally there- there were boobies and babies all over the place!!!:popcorn:...

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Hopefully you get it rolling. I have tried the mobile app for android, but it was pretty empty, and even said one of our local buildings didn't allow guns. Which was not true it is public property. I think user vandalism is going to be a big problem. Just like that app that reported pro gun businesses and allowed you to report your gun owning neighbors. It was vandalized by pro gun people reporting everyone and.everything. which was good, but still it could easily work the other way around.

Top Bottom