• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    might want to think about putting more of a radius on the bottom hand stop. it looks like after some use it would work your pinky up pretty good. did you radius the back side of the handle, where it sits in your hand?

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    I decided to go with more of a refined bowie shape with the blunted prying tip instead.

Cubby: I did radius the pinky finger groove more as well as open up all of the finger grooves and will continue to do so until it fits just right.

Im gonna slim the handle down some so I can add the micarta grips...was thinking about wrapping it in paracord, but I wanted the excuse to make some cool grips.

Lemme know what y'all think.

picture.php

God bless
    -Shred

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    i like that blade shape better!

i asked about the radius because if you slab handle it, you will create a gap there that will probly irritate your hand and trap a bunch of crap in there...... with the finger grooves, paracord is going to be... a chore. you will probly NEVER get it evened out for comfort...... you will create lumps in places that you don't want them....... probly.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Thanks for the offer Cubby, I might take you up on that if my micarta doesnt turn out as planned....spent the first half of the day making it...now Im just wainting for it to harden....still planning out fasteners too...Im thinking copper.

As for a finish on the blade....Im torn between polishing it or having it powder coated.
    I can get the powdercoat done for free to little cost, but polished looks cool...unfortunately its more up keep as well...and I'll have to put hours more work into making the blade super smooth....

We'll see.

God bless
    -Shred

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Sounds like the knife you want is a ESEE 5 but out of your price range. A Tops OUTPOST COMMAND would be what you are looking for also. Knife Lady carries these as well (Tops Knives) but they don't have the warranty that ESEE has. I handled a Outpost Command and that is a nice heavy, thick blade in 1095. I really liked the Outpost.
    Those two are high quality knives.

If you are looking for less expensive knives that are made here in Indiana try a Jeff White Custom LongHunter. Not as thick as you are looking for but good knives.

Specs:

HIGH CARBON STEEL 7 1/2 INCH BLADE, 1 1/4 INCH WIDE, 3/32 INCH THICK

The only place I know of to buy them is eBay.

Good Luck and remember Knife Lady carries a lot of different brands, if you find something you like give her a PM she might be able to get it for you.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    off topic, but i really liked the Kershaw Outcast when those were around........

To continue off topic, I have an Outcast and its great. I got if from Knife Lady at one of the shows. Kershaw in general is my favorite knife brand.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Hello all,

I got the micarta handles roughed out and to shape...dont know if I like the green and yellow color scheme though...might redo them in just green.

Also got the blade shined up with 60 then 150 grit paper, now I just need to get another wheel for my grinder so I can put a smoother finish on it and get the swirl marks out.

Im going to have the blade dura-coated in OD green after I get the heat treat done.

Cant find my camera this morning or I would have pictures up...I will once i find out where my wife hid the camera.

God bless
    -Shred

PS: Knife Lady, I meant to say BK2...That BK5 is hideous...dont know what I was thinking.
    The BK2 is what I will be looking for at the next 1500.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Soooo....IM gonna be doing the heat treat on my own.

Called my "heat treat guy" and he quoted me $150 for one stinkin blade.

Eff that....

God bless
    -Shred

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Anyone(Cubby) have any problems with blades warping after quenching?

I normalized the steel (1095 I think) three times and beat it straight....heated to a dull red.

I know Im gonna have to get the blade to orange to temper and quench in mineral/veggie oil....whats the best way to do that?

Dont have a forge...maybe find a friend with an O/A torch or would MAPP/propane work?

Please and thank you
    God bless
    -Shred

PS: This does take a bit of work...no way Id sell this knife for my earlier dollar figure of $120...lots of time/blood/sweat/tears.

You bladesmiths have a definite trade skill.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Anyone(Cubby) have any problems with blades warping after quenching?

I normalized the steel (1095 I think) three times and beat it straight....heated to a dull red.

I know Im gonna have to get the blade to orange to temper and quench in mineral/veggie oil....whats the best way to do that?

Dont have a forge...maybe find a friend with an O/A torch or would MAPP/propane work?

Please and thank you
    God bless
    -Shred

PS: This does take a bit of work...no way Id sell this knife for my earlier dollar figure of $120...lots of time/blood/sweat/tears.

You bladesmiths have a definite trade skill.

thank you, sir.

are you using quench plates (large flat plates that will absorb the heat and keep the blade flat while cooling)?

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    and WEAR A MASK while you shape the handles. wear a mask the whole time, actually, but you will REGRET breathing in the phelonics from the micarta. i remeber my first time shape it. i couldn't breathe correctly for a month, and that is not an exaggeration. i was in severe pain each breath.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Well there is a guy selling D2 blanks in the classifieds, you should buy a few and make a knife. I keep kicking the idea around, but the whole heat treating part is what holding me back.

Last edited:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    and WEAR A MASK while you shape the handles. wear a mask the whole time, actually, but you will REGRET breathing in the phelonics from the micarta. i remeber my first time shape it. i couldn't breathe correctly for a month, and that is not an exaggeration. i was in severe pain each breath.

I found that out the first time I was grinding carbon fiber. I had black boogers forever.

Top Bottom