• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    First, do you want this weapon for a nightstand gun, carry gun, for both? Most major firearm makers make very fine weapons, that are more than adequate for whatever purpose you desire the weapon for. But to ideally suit YOU, you need to handle as many makes and brands as you possible can. Some will "feel" better in your hand, will fit better. Will probably point more naturally for you. Most of us have our favorite handguns, and for various reasons, but you have to determine what works best for you.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Take a look at the CZ P07 as well. Other than that, try to at least handle, if not shoot each of those. When you find the right one for you, you will know it pretty quickly

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Shoot a bunch and then decide. Really, none of our opinions should mean **** until YOU actually try out what you're interested in.

I had it set in my head that I wanted a Sig 229 for my first pistol. Had I gone out and blindly bought one or bought one because some random internet guy told me they were "best" (because that's what he had), my firearms interest might have been fairly short lived. To this day I cannot stand Sigs. They are awkward and top-heavy and just feel wrong to me. Some people love them though. YOU have to determine what YOU prefer.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    +Sniper! So many Glocks, so little time. G17, Gen 4, would be my choice. You can conceal 17rds, full size, just like a 12 rd(Sig 229), although the Sig is a bit smaller.
    CZs have a great history, H&K sorta pricey. How about a S&W MP 9mm? Again a lot of others, go to the gun show, and look them over.
    If size is really your thing, Shields (S&W) come in 9mm, 40cal, or 45acp. Thinner grip, single stack capacity, or mini Glocks.
    Good luck.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Spend a day at a local shop with a range that has rentals. Try before you buy so you don't regret your purchase. I have owned glocks, sigs, berettas, hk, and revolvers too. I currently have 1911s, revolvers, and my do all beretta 92fs. There are lots of great pistols out there. It's all about what fits your needs, and your hand.

Jeffforpresident

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Nov 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Figure out what job this gun is gonna do first, then find a gun to fit that role not the other way around. A lot of people fall in love with a gun and then try and fit a square peg in a round hole and try and make the gun fill a job it was never designed to do.

7.62asprin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    As far as your list goes, I can only speak for the G17 and the H&K USP. Both are wonderful weapons and great shooters. The glock will have more aftermarket parts though, but you'll be well off with either.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Same as the title. I am looking for a good handgun for myself. I have several chooses Sig P229, HK UPS, CZ 75, or Glock 17 Gen 4. Please give some suggestions! Thanks!

I presently carry a Sig P229 in .357 Sig with Underwood 124 grain HP at 1475 fps.
    Also got the Sig .40S&W barrel as the mags work for both and it needs just a barrel swap.

I really like it, and figure if it's good enough for the Secret Service it's good enough for me.

creekside

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    Anyone have experience with FNS 9 compact or Barretta PX4 Storm compact models? I'm looking at picking one of these up. Anything that I should be aware of before purchasing?

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2016
    Camby
    Another vote for the P229 in .357 Sig; one of my carry guns is the P229 Legion in .357 Sig and it's ridiculously good. I run the same Underwood 124gr that edporch mentioned above (though we aren't quite getting the advertised 1475 fps out of the 3.9" barrel). When I'm not carrying that, I'm carrying a P250 in .357 Sig, a Glock 30 Gen4 (Winchester Ranger T 230gr +P) or a Glock 29SF (Buffalo Bore 10mm 180gr JHP). All the guns you listed are great, but it's hard to go wrong with a P229. As far as the HK goes, instead of a USP have you considered the VP series for 9/40 or an HK45c?

TKDMaster10

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2015
    Avon, IN
    Go to a gun shop and look over each one. They are all fantastic guns and any one of them would be a great choice, it just depends on which feels best to YOU.

Pinger5560

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Columbia City
    I agree with other statements, find a gun that feels go to you, try out several at a range you can rent them at or ask to shoot other shooter pistols at your local range but bring some ammo. I have had several people ask me the same question at my local range, they are just down there to watch the ones they can tell have experience in firearms. I have let several get some ammo & shoot my PPQ M1 Walther. Some liked it some didn't. But I would have to say most came back with either the Walther or a Canik, I have seen a lot go for the Ruger SR9E pistols as well.

blakeelee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Brownsburg
    Really depends if you like hammers or not. I don't like hammers so I'd go with the glock. Pick what suits you. All of those are good options

Top Bottom