• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kmaroman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    North Vernon
    As the title states what's a good sling for a walnut stock m1a scout. I have a vtac for my ar10 and I love how I can secure the rifle tightly against me in case I had to maneuver around but could loosen it in a second to bring the rifle to shoulder and that's kind of what I'm looking for in a sling for the m1a. Any suggestions?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Honestly, a good GI websling is ideal for the M1a, and is what the rifle was designed for. That said, many of the 3-point slings for an AR 15 will work just fine with an M1a since the original configurations for the AR15 had similar sling attachments points for a standard GI websling.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Honestly, a good GI websling is ideal for the M1a, and is what the rifle was designed for. That said, many of the 3-point slings for an AR 15 will work just fine with an M1a since the original configurations for the AR15 had similar sling attachments points for a standard GI websling.

Agreed, they work great and look nice to boot!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'll have to make a different type of suggestion here - http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Compan...d=1464934657&sr=8-1&keywords=quick+fire+sling
    I have two rifles so equipped, and this sling is just the best.
    You can adjust its length simply pulling on the strap either above or below the sliding buckle; no need to unbuckle it or adjust a frog hook once it's in place.
    I even put up a video review of it there, if you'd care to watch my poor effort to explain how to use it.
    It's even made in USA.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Cameramonkey and others above have hit the nail on the head ... get a GI style sling and don't look back.

However, if I were outfitting my personal M1A, I'd be looking to use a quality leather GI sling rather than the more common GI cotton web style ... Sling, Leather, M1907, GI-Type, Brass Hardware, Tan

A GI leather sling is super easy to use in the Hasty style. After you've learned your marks, the Loop version is just as easy to use.

Keep in mind that an M1A is more of a long range surgical tool, than a close to the chest door kicking in spray and pray type of tool. You need to outfit that rifle with a sling that will allow you to realize the full potential of an M1A.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    +1 more for the USGI websling.

Might I also suggest "African" or "Ugandan" carry? I see folks all the time who want to be tactical operators with their 32 point slings hooked to carabiners and QD this, Keymod that. The real COD MFers carry it single point under their strong side armpit. It's funny to watch them get hit in the nutz with their own rifle!

More often than not, that tactical BS leaves you less ready on both fronts. Your rifle is in the way when using your hands and your hands are in the way when you need your rifle.

Try slinging it upside down on your offhand side. With practice, you'll be able to bring it up quickly and you'll find your rifle absent when needing your hands. You can also quickly throw it over your head to go cross-body and that sucker won't come off for nothin.

Tyler13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2013
    Wanamaker
    If you haven't checked out Urban E.R.T slings I would highly recommend them. Owned by a police officer out of Plainfield, IN. He has been making them for quite some time and produces high quality work. Elmore's firearms in Greenwood stocks them, Fort Liberty in Avon stocks them. I think he has a few other locations around the Indianapolis area as well.

He's at every Indy 1500 if you ever make it out to the show. Or you can check his site out at Urban ERT Slings Single point and Two point slings for FNH PS90, Tavor, AR15 style rifles, shotguns, and any other weapon available.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I would say a deciding factor is how you are going to be using the rifle a majority of the time.

If most of the use of the rifle is going to be shooting at the range more or less statically, I'd say the GI or Turner sling is the way to go, as with some education, you can use it to help stabilize your shooting position and improve accuracy.

If you are going to be moving a lot, patrolling, etc., then maybe a more modern sling could be a bit more convenient for having the rifle at the low ready across your chest. Otherwise, the GI or Turner slings are also quite handy for carrying the rifle around as well.

Kmaroman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    North Vernon
    I actually just remembered the other day I had some
    old leather gi slings on some hand me down squirrel rifles from grandpa and sure enough one looks to be a brass and leather gi sling. I watched a tutorial on how to use it as a loop sling and just to carry the rifle and gotta say I'll probably stick with this leather gi. Thanks for all the input

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      124.5 KB · Views: 4

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I actually just remembered the other day I had some
    old leather gi slings on some hand me down squirrel rifles from grandpa and sure enough one looks to be a brass and leather gi sling. I watched a tutorial on how to use it as a loop sling and just to carry the rifle and gotta say I'll probably stick with this leather gi. Thanks for all the input

Awesome, and what is even cooler is the ties to your grandpa. Thanks for the update!

Top Bottom