• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bruno1371

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    in the middle
    So my mind is made up to attend an Appleseed event. Now my dad is willing to "give it a shot" also. My question is if you could only attend 1 in the next year, which 1 (range) do you enjoy the most. I'm not opposed to only shooting the 100yd ranges, but I shoot on a 150 yd range almost weekly. I am not opposed to camping or motels, and I don't mind driving either. So really is there 1 that stands out from the rest as your favorite. I'm sure they are all great, I just want this one with my dad to be special. So if some of you Appleseed vets could help me plan this I would be very grateful. I'm sure you have enjoyed some more than others. Thanks

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    From my experience working in Appleseed, it's really the Cadre that makes the difference. The range itself is kind of secondary for me. In Indiana, we are blessed with a ton of great Shoot Bosses, Instructors, and IIT's so, I would say that you just cannot go wrong with any of them.

Now, if you want a memorable experience to move to the level of 'I'll never get that guy out of my mind', I would suggest that you find one that our own lovable ATM is working (usually Cloverdale or Crawdfordsville) You haven't been to an Appleseed until you've listened to ATM's melodious voice, singing the sweet sweet strains of War Pigs when clearing the line! :D

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    What Stschil said. I have been to 3 Appleseeds in Indiana and they were all very good. They were each held on a 25 yd range, which is the standard for Appleseed training. Once you are in the prone position, those targets look the same no matter what range you attend. And, yes, you need to experience the full ATM treatment.:)

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I've been to 4 (3 were full distance shoots.) Personally I love the full distance shoots but the regular ones are awesome also. The regular ones have advantages of not having to lug gear around all day (at least the ones at Atturberry the targets don't move, you do), and being able to shoot .22 (cheaper). Depending on how 'sorted out' you are already that allows for less clutter in the day.

I really haven't had shot bosses, line bosses, or any staff I wouldn't highly recommend.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    So my mind is made up to attend an Appleseed event. Now my dad is willing to "give it a shot" also. My question is if you could only attend 1 in the next year, which 1 (range) do you enjoy the most. I'm not opposed to only shooting the 100yd ranges, but I shoot on a 150 yd range almost weekly. I am not opposed to camping or motels, and I don't mind driving either. So really is there 1 that stands out from the rest as your favorite. I'm sure they are all great, I just want this one with my dad to be special. So if some of you Appleseed vets could help me plan this I would be very grateful. I'm sure you have enjoyed some more than others. Thanks
    As others have stated, the range doesn't matter, the targets will look the same at 25 yards no matter where you are. There will be no difference between a 100 yd range and a 150 yd range as they will all be set at 25 yds unless it's a full distance shoot on a 400+ yd range.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I would check out the known distance shoot at Camp Atterbury. You get to shoot from 100-400 yards and really test your abilities. It's a great time!

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    I attended my first Appleseed in Nappanee this weekend with ATM being the shoot boss. I will say I had a great time and learned a bit of new material along with my group sizes improving. I was 13 points away from Riflemen so I am planning on going back in the Spring.

Last edited:

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Appleseed follows a uniform curriculum, so there are no differences there between locations. One range is little different from the next for the two-day events. After attending a particular shoot location once or twice you get might to know some of the "regulars" a bit, and that is perhaps the biggest variable.

I can't tell whether the OP knows that the Appleseed shoot is a class with a regimented syllabus. There is a particular way they want you to shoot, and there are specific exercises you do in the class. It's not a "freeform" event. There are also equipment requirements as well. How long the range is mostly irrelevant to the event.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I have been to 2 at Cloverdale and have enjoyed it. Dave D puts on a good shoot and one of those had ATM as the line boss. Day 2 has included known distance training and shooting. It was a big confidence booster to consistently ring 8" steel at 100yds with a .22

I earned my patch a couple of Februaries ago at Atlanta. That was a nice range too. Something about that gravel produces Riflemen :)

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    There really is no wrong answer here. Different shoot bosses have a different style some are all business and no fun others are more fluid and easy going. Yes even some sing so I hear. I just had more slots added to the Nov 9-10 event at Red Brush Range near Evansville today to the sold out event because we got a larger bay. There were only 4 left just a bit ago. If ya want any of those ya better move quick they go pretty fast.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I can't imagine how anything could beat the Known Distance event at Atterbury. You can learn the fundamentals at any distance, but the KD shoot adds in the issues of figuring out your sight comeups at different distances, battle-sight zero (a very useful concept for field shooting), and maybe even a little wind-reading if the weather cooperates. It gets you learning how to use your rifle and scope _together_. I never really trusted my scopes much until I did that exercise. I was a set-it-and-leave-it type of shooter, but after the 'seed weekend of immersion training, now I have a rifle-scope combination with data to match and I know with good position, anything stationary and of reasonable size out to 400 yds. is "daid Huck, daid"...and look ma, no bipod! That seems like nothing to the 1,000 yard guys, but for someone who's not primarily a rifle shooter, being able to score across the range out to 400 using only field positions and a sling, it's a real confidence-builder.

I've taken the DCM Highpower clinic at Camp Perry years ago, but it did not come close to matching the value of training you get at a KD shoot. $80 is a steal for two days like that, and if Wolf Ammo ever does the sponsorship with free ammo again, that should be on anybody's bucket list.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    The KD shoots are awesome but I suppose that depends on how good of shape your father is in. On average at a KD shoot a person will walk about 4 miles with their gear and rifle. My pops wouldn't want to do that anymore lol. However he enjoys the 25 yard shoots and hearing the history. So just something to think about there.

Old_grunt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Bloomington
    I would check out the known distance shoot at Camp Atterbury. You get to shoot from 100-400 yards and really test your abilities. It's a great time!

Firing berms aren't set in yards, but meters. I've shot KD ranges at Atterbury, while in the Guard, in the Indiana Adjutant General's matches. Firers started on the 100m line, fired 10 rounds, standing free-hand, moved back to the 200m line, seated supported.......

We used M16A1, since that's what we had in the arms room. I'd like to shoot the KD range using my M1 Garand and see how I do :)

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Range 5 at Atterbury was in yards according to a borrowed range finder, a 4MOA front post, and google earth. I could be and am willing to be wrong, just saying.

Avoid Atterbury first time out, particularly if your father is a mature gentleman or has trouble getting around or if you don't get regular exercise or spend time afield with gear. too many sensory inputs to manage efficiently.

Bedford moves slow and is more geared towards a cookout than a focused marksmanship event. Ossian and Cloverdale are the most comfortable ranges to shoot at. MCFG feels compressed (because it is) but is centrally located. Nashville is deceptively nice.

ATM is the most entertaining SB, Yellowhousejake is the most experienced, Mudcat is the most grounded, SPQR is most arrogant and you will learn more if you catch him as an instructor instead of a SB, and Auntiebellum and DaveD are the calmest and most reassuring. Mudcat and Auntiebellum if you want to work on scope shooting. YHJ and SPQR if you want to work on irons. That makes up the majority of their veteran staff. They have several newer SBs who are very good as well (Brown, Spitfire51, etc.).

They pretty much all suck and you should probably go to Gunsite.

YHJ, SPQR, Mudcat and AB conduct most of their known distance shoots but they are probably all going to tell you that if you can't hold 4moa at 25yards with a sling for your only support you need to go to a 25yard shoot before going to Atterbury.

Avoid TBE, the guy is an @$$hat. Avoid SPQR, he ain't far behind.

Top Bottom