• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reno_Morris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    My main store I visit is Orion Arms but recently the prices are just getting out of hand. I have been to 1 or 2 other places locally but they were so small and the selections there aren't even worth the trip to look. Any one have any experience with any nice places within about 30-40 min drive from the Sellersburg area?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I don't buy as much stuff as I used to, but I have been doing business with HiTek and ESR Electronics. I have no complaints about their service or prices. These are pretty small stores, however. Whittakers in West Louisville, KY (near Owensboro, KY) has a good selection and reasonable prices. It is a little longer drive than you said and any handguns purchased would have to be shipped to an Indiana Dealer, but it might be worth the drive.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    How about Bite-the-Bullet or Acme Sports in Seymour? I'm not sure how far they are from Sellersburg.

If you're into used stuff, indiucky's shop in Clarksville is always worth checking out...The company's always worth a stop.

Reno_Morris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I don't buy as much stuff as I used to, but I have been doing business with HiTek and ESR Electronics. I have no complaints about their service or prices. These are pretty small stores, however. Whittakers in West Louisville, KY (near Owensboro, KY) has a good selection and reasonable prices. It is a little longer drive than you said and any handguns purchased would have to be shipped to an Indiana Dealer, but it might be worth the drive.

I have been to hitek. Nice place but not much there. Whittakers is nice but way too far. I wish there was another large store like Orion's near by.

papa6x

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I go to Dave's Guns in Holland. I can't remember how far it is to Sellersburg from this area, but they're not to bad on prices. They have a website, davesgunshopinc.com

papa6x

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Try 256 Sport & Garden outside of Austin. He's got a good selection for the size of the shop, and Dale is a hoot.

I used to really like Orion's when they were still Keisler's. I've been less and less impressed with them, and since Chris left the LE desk I doubt I find myself back there again.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've made purchases on the internet from Shooter's Supply in Louisville. The guy who does their internet sales is awesome, but the gunsmith that I spoke with on the phone is a real jerk. I've never been to the brick and mortar store, but they look like they have a great selection. I used to go down to Knob Creek on occasion. They had a pretty nice selection, but I haven't been in a long time. My suggestion is to car pool with some buddies and hit one of the farther away shops.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've made purchases on the internet from Shooter's Supply in Louisville. The guy who does their internet sales is awesome, but the gunsmith that I spoke with on the phone is a real jerk. I've never been to the brick and mortar store, but they look like they have a great selection. I used to go down to Knob Creek on occasion. They had a pretty nice selection, but I haven't been in a long time. My suggestion is to car pool with some buddies and hit one of the farther away shops.

Their actual store is nice, lot's of stuff there I'd only seen on the internet, but never seen in person, prices were a bit high, but not crazy. I found the sales staff to be helpful and friendly, but almost used car salesman ish', sorta high pressure. All in all, it's well worth the trip over there.

As far as Orions, yeah, I haven't been in there since they doubled the price of 9mm after Newtown. I liked most of the employees there, too. It's a shame.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    You aren't the first person I have heard say that about Orion. I am not spending much money on gun purchase right now, so I haven't been to Orion in several months. I am curious to see how the prices are next time I go.

Reno_Morris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Their actual store is nice, lot's of stuff there I'd only seen on the internet, but never seen in person, prices were a bit high, but not crazy. I found the sales staff to be helpful and friendly, but almost used car salesman ish', sorta high pressure. All in all, it's well worth the trip over there.

As far as Orions, yeah, I haven't been in there since they doubled the price of 9mm after Newtown. I liked most of the employees there, too. It's a shame.

Yeah I got the same vibe from shooters supply when I visited there before. I was looking for a new holster for my sub compact xd and the guy told me I needed to buy a new gun because I wouldn't be able to conceal one of those. Don't think I have been back since.

Yeah I always liked the people at Orion's. Sounds like ownership is the problem

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I am going to second Dave's Guns near Holland Indiana. I have always been treated fairly there. Great selection. It's about 1 hour 15 minutes from Sellersburg though.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I bought my bow from Gun world in Corydon a while back. They were the only place that had one in stock, and not only in stock, $75 cheaper than anyone up here in Indy would quote me.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    If you can wait, Knob Creek is coming up the second weekend of April. It is still the best place to buy, if you buy in bulk and can live with the some-what limited selection available these days. At the show, I recommend Pat's Reloading. The prices are reasonable and the people who run Pat's are great folks.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Shooters Supply has a huge inventory and lots of specialized things you won't see anywhere else. They also support the local shooting sports.
    Gun World in Corydon new store is huge compared to the old one. Still lots of long guns and a lot more handguns than before. Nice archery range and good selection of bows and accessories.
    Price wise they both seemed in line with what I see at other shops.
    Shooters Supply has sales going on every couple of weeks and have some prices that are as good as online pricing if not better.

Top Bottom