Looking for a semi auto .22 Magnum - Ideas please!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I have decided that at the pond I want to be able to reach out and touch my lovely muskrats (and maybe a groundhog) with something that has a bit more lethality than a normal .22 but won't fly five (5) miles if I miss.

I like the idea of a .22 magnum. All of my military rifles are bolt action. Since I am left handed this can cause "issues" with trying to fire quickly.

I would like to spend about $100 - $350 for a nice used rifle.

Question #1) Is this reasonable or no?

Question #2) If NO, what would be a reasonable price range?

I would like a reasonable scope to put on it. If you can, please tell me a good combination. I can wait for the scope, so what price range would I be looking at there?

The maximum range I would be operating at is about 150 yards. Beyond that my terrain is too hilly and I can't see. The average range I will be operating at is 50 - 75 yards. That would be right across the pond.

I am in NO HURRY for this! If it takes me a year or two to find one that is fine with me. I just have no idea of where/what model to even begin thinking about. At least with some input from you fine folks I'll know what to start looking for in the WTS area along w/ Gunboards, Gun Broker, Etc.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,

Doug

PS - Please feel free to kibitz on this. The more pro's & con's I hear the more I'll learn.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    Muskrats out to 150? .22 Magnum would be ok power-wise (barely). Range estimation would be a bit more critical at 150+ with a .22 Magnum since it drops off pretty fast at 150.

For groundhogs at 150 I'd use at least a .22 Hornet or above. The .223 is even better but noisier. .222 Remington is great too, but I like the availability of the .223 military round.

Marlin makes some accurate and affordable .22 Magnums. Not sure about an affordable Hornet or .223 in your price range.

3x9 or 4x10 scope w a one inch tube should work fine. I always had good luck with Bushnell, Nikon, and Leupold. Leopold is more expensive.

At 70-80 yards the .22 Magnum is fine for groundhogs, as is the .22LR with good placement.

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    CZ makes the 452/455 models in .22 magnum AND left hended. They are around $350. cz also will be selling their semi-auto rimfire model 512 in .22 magnum in the USA soon. You can not beat the accuracy.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I just got a CZ 452 in 22 magnum and it's a great rifle! If it ever stops raining long enough I'll do a range report on it. CZ makes a rifle called the Ultra Lux with a 28" bbl that you can get in 22mag and left handed. KS&E on Pendleton Pike handles CZ around here.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    Savage makes some very accurate and affordable left-handed bolt actions.

You might also consider a .17 HMR, with a ballistic tip you dont have to worry about a ricochet and I have found my .17 to be very effective on muskrats.

The Gavman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    I have a .17 hmr for ground hogs and it does the job at around 150 yds but the wind really effects the bullet thats why I am getting a .223 Stevens 200. Ammo is just about the same price between the 2 anyways so you get more bang for your buck with .223.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I only know of 5 Semi-auto .22 mag rifles that ever saw any numbers produced, and 3 are long out of production:

* Remington 597 - $500 NIB
    * Ruger 10/22 - $700 used
    * Magnum Research Magnum lite (10/22 clone) - $700 NIB
    * BRNO 611 - $900 used
    * HK 300 - $1,900 used

A few other have been made, but they are so sparce as not to be note worthy.

The cheapest way, and most common way, to shoot 22mag in a semi-auto is to buy a Remington 597. If you look around, you can probably find one for about $450 NIB... But you wont find anything for $350.

If you have problems with a bolt gun, try the Henry pump-action (H003TM) - it is ambidextrous, and can far outstrip a bolt gun for rate of fire:
    Henry Repeating Arms | Fine Rifles Made in America and Priced Right

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I do not know anything about this company. Accelerator Rifle

From what I have seen, unless you luck out. I have never seen a .22 magnum semi-auto for the price you listed (OP). You would probably be better off getting a Savage bolt action. You can get the heavy barreled model for under $350. I have one in .22LR and love it.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    For 100 yard work, the .22 Mag is a great choice for a multitude of critters. For your purposes and price range it sounds like it's just the ticket. I'll second the recommendations for a Savage or Marlin. Savage probably makes a left-handed one. Or an H&R Single Shot will fit into your price range.

As for other cartridges I wouldn't hesitate to use... .17 HMR and .22 Hornet if you're a reloader. The Hornet is quite a bit more potent and can be reloaded for near the cost of .22 WMR ammo. A .223 would work. A model 25 Savage in .22 Hornet or .223 would cost a bit more than what you want though.

Good varmint bullets in 20 and 22 caliber are designed to disintegrate on impact and I wouldn't worry too much about the ricochet. They will do the same when they hit dirt. Just make sure you can see dirt beyond your target and not sky.

I have a couple 6-24x44mm BSA scopes that I got in the $70-$80 price range on sale and I like them A LOT for the price.

bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    17 HMR

I would go with a 17 HMR in a single shot. With a decent scope, you could still be in your price range. One good accurate shot will negate the need for a follow up....especially on pesky muskrats!

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    IF you do move into the bolt action (in know your looking for semi) but stay far away from marlin my 925m was a complete waste of money. very good shooter when it shoots! they often have poor machining on the bolt and the (firing pin/bar) binds up do to burr's. There Warrantly dept refused to fix this problem saying it was ammo not the rifle so if you buy one your one your own to fix it. Mine required a extensive cleaning up and polishing on the bolt to get to work smoothly. alot of plastic on it ( all of the trigger group and trigger its self) and trigger break is terrible it binds up as well. plus i noticed the receiver moved alot in the stock. after i fixed all this i could hit penny's at 100yards no problem. But plus one of the henry levels but pricey at $400 for a varmint gun.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    The .22 mag was not intended to be shot in a semi-auto platform... I know, I know, neither was the .22lr, but over the years the LR has evolved into a multipurpose cartridge whereas the .22 Mag has not. The .22 Mag is much more sensitive to ambient temperature, and you can see wild variations in pressure. There have been a half dozen manufacturers who have tried a semi-auto .22 mag rifle and most if not all have been removed from the market for reliability and safety concerns. KelTec came up with a pretty ingenious hybrid lockwork to make the PMR30 run reliably, but that handgun is tuned specifically for CCI ammo. I suspect their upcoming rumor-rifle will be of the same vein.

For all the grief and cost you're going incurr trying to get a semi-auto .22 mag, you could probably get into an AR or other semi-auto .223. If you reload you can create some very mild loads - all you need is enough powder to cycle the action reliably and you can shoot accurately to 150.

Lots of other good cartridges, too. I'd probably be looking at a bolt gun in .22 K-hornet for that specific purpose.

Top Bottom