Looking for advice / input on an affordable 4 handgun range bag.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    I've finally decided to invest in a range bag for my handguns. Up until now, I've just used an old gym back in which I keep all 4 handguns stacked on top of one another in hard or soft cases. Although my current setup does technically work, it really doesn't leave a whole lot of extra room for my eyes, ears, and tools. Let alone ammo or any other supplies.

Here's the current contents of my bag unpacked:

attachment.php

When everything is packed up into the bag, I am not able to even fully zip the bag closed.:):

attachment.php

I am looking for a "middle of the pack" range bag. Don't want to break the bank, but also don't want to end up with a POS bag either. The best looking bag I've found around my price range is the G.P.S. Handgunner Backpack selling for ~$80-$90 from online retailers. For those of you who don't feel like clicking on the link, here's the description from one online retailer:

MidwayUSA said:
    This new “free standing” backpack allows for hands free transportation to and from the range. Our new “Handgunner Backpack” was designed to allow the avid Handgun shooter a way to transport his Handguns, 12 Extra Magazines, Ammo, Shooting Glasses, Ear Protection, Targets, Stapler, Tape, Binoculars, Shooting mats, Cleaning Supplies all in a compact Backpack. By utilizing our Visual ID Storage System we have designed separate pockets that store your most frequently used items for added protection and easy retrieval. The most unique feature is the inside Storage Cradle that slides in and out of the lower compartment. This foam cradle was designed to hold 4 medium to small size handguns in a VERTICAL format. This Vertical format allows for ease of use at the range and added protection from 360 degrees. This Cradle is made of high density foam and is cut with a CNC machine to cradle each pistol by its trigger guard. Just slide out the cradle at the range and keep all 4 pistols organized. After shooting, remove the cradle with the handguns inside for cleaning and then for storage in your gun safe. No need to open and close pistol cases or rugs each time you intend to use. The “Handgunner” backpack also features a waterproof pull out cover to help keep the contents dry in case of a sudden downpour.

The four handguns I would be transporting in the bag are a Ruger 22/45, Glock 19, Beretta 96FS, & Springfield 1911 GI Model. I believe almost all of my handguns should be able to fit into the small to medium storage cradle in the above mentioned G.P.S. bag, with the exception of my Ruger 22/45, due to the RDS I have mounted on it, shown below. Not sure how well it'd fit into the cradle with the optic attached.

attachment.php

So, do any of you have any experience with any G.P.S. range bags? If so, how do you like them? Also, if any of you know of some other 4 handgun range bags which fall into my budget range and that you'd recommend over the G.P.S. bag, please let me know! I'm a complete noob when it comes to range bags, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :ingo:
    -John

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Just a thought--- I prefer two smaller bags. Maybe it's because I have a bad shoulder. I usually carry eyes, ears, ammo, accessories in one bag and pistols in another. Easier to carry, and I can leave the accessory bag in the car and just bring the pistol bag in the house.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Just a thought--- I prefer two smaller bags. Maybe it's because I have a bad shoulder. I usually carry eyes, ears, ammo, accessories in one bag and pistols in another. Easier to carry, and I can leave the accessory bag in the car and just bring the pistol bag in the house.

Not a bad idea. And I'd still probably use my bag pictured in the OP to transport other miscellaneous gear such as my bench bags, spotting scope, and other random items that wouldn't fit in the range bag. But I still have that youthful mentality of "try to carry EVERYTHING in one trip". :): Plus, I really like the idea of a range bag that is also a backpack, like the one mentioned in the OP, so I would still have two open hands to lug all my other gear to the range.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    My load was real similar to yours. I had a four pistol bag by Tac Force I think. It ran me about 80 bucks new. I recently sold it because it was too heavy and hard to carry.

My previous gun club I could park right on the range and the bag went from the tailgate to a bench. Now my new club the pistol range is the end of the rifle range. You want to shoot pistols you have to walk to the end.

I now use a backpack in order to keep my hands free to carry other stuff and pull a wagon. It works out real nice. Like it better than a traditional range bag. I also switched all my fishing gear over to a backpack as well.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    My load was real similar to yours. I had a four pistol bag by Tac Force I think. It ran me about 80 bucks new. I recently sold it because it was too heavy and hard to carry.

My previous gun club I could park right on the range and the bag went from the tailgate to a bench. Now my new club the pistol range is the end of the rifle range. You want to shoot pistols you have to walk to the end.

I now use a backpack in order to keep my hands free to carry other stuff and pull a wagon. It works out real nice. Like it better than a traditional range bag. I also switched all my fishing gear over to a backpack as well.

Yeah. I think a backpack is the way to go. I'm hoping someone chimes in with some input on the quality of the G.P.S. bag. It looks great, but looks can be very deceiving!

Top Bottom