Looking for FN Scar 17s info and advice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Papabeargsh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Anderson
    What is your preferred ammo and bullet weight ?

What kind of optic do you use?

Did you replace the trigger? Was it worth it?

Did you replace the lower? Is it worth it now that factory mags are readily available?

Any other upgrades you may have made.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The SCAR 17 is my dream rifle. One day I will be able to justify owning one. It will wear a RZR 1-6, with a Geissele super scar trigger.

IMO that combination would be the best battle rifle on the market right now.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    The SCAR 17 is my dream rifle. One day I will be able to justify owning one. It will wear a RZR 1-6, with a Geissele super scar trigger.

Hmm….Ive been THINKING about a scar 17 recently, and this seems like a winner setup!!! :laugh:

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    Best friend owns one, wears an ACOG 3.5x, loads 168 grainers, smk or amaxes, seems to like them. Gonna try 175 smk next outing. His suppressor just came in, it knocks the crack down, the thing sounds like artillery, almost need double hearing protection. Magazines are pricey, but the total package is nice...his dad actually bought the 16 after handing the 17.

The trigger is nice from the factory, but I do not fire it all of the time...can't help there.
    i don't think you'll regret buying it, as long as you can afford to buy or load the ammo.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis

Why do you consider this the best battle rifle? I'm curious because I've eyed this rifle quite a few times...

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Why do you consider this the best battle rifle? I'm curious because I've eyed this rifle quite a few times...

In no particular order

I think its more accurate than any of the light maneuverable options on the market right now, giving you the option of clearing houses, or being in a DMR type role with 1 rifle.

The recoil is the same as your average 556 so anyone can shoot it, and your second shot comes much faster.

Piston driven so it runs cleaner.

I think 308 is a better "battle" caliber when the recoil is tamed like it is on a SCAR.

The platform is "transformable" to fit anyone (ambidextrous controls and charging handle, adjustable stock etc)

With the Razor 1-6 durability is not a concern, and in 1/10th of a second you can go from 1x and kicking in doors, to 6x and clearing a street. The 308 caliber really gives you that extended range to take advantage of the extra 2x zoom the 6x erector offers over the standard 4x zoom ranges that are more common.

I know quite a few contractor groups are using this rifle with this scope in a BOBRO mount. They are working with the 1-6 on the rifle and keeping a higher zoom scope in their pack so if they are out on patrol they can swap scopes and basically switch to a sniper role with a moments notice.

The down side is the rifle with a 1-6 would run me right at 5 grand after I was done with it, and to date I cant justify that, but I've been talking myself out of it for 3-4 years, and I know I will eventually fail and drop the coin on the package. If I was told I had 1 rifle to last me the rest of my life this setup is what it would be.

These are my thought to be taken with a grain of salt.

shootamc58

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    noblesville
    I have a scar 16 and have shot the 17. I did not replace the trigger. For the price it doesn't matter that much to me. I have a Leupold 1x4 scope with illumination. I think the scar shoots as well as an LWRC repr for about a thousand less. It runs super clean with almost no recoil in either model. My 8 year old can shoot the 16 accurately. The thing I like the most is how light weight it is. It almost feels like something is missing when you first pick it up(this is a good thing). It is by far the nicest rifle for the money imho. For reference I have a 20 lwrc repr ordered and can't wait to get it, but I feels almost like carrying two guns compared to the scar. I wish I would have got mine in .308, but the 5.56 is cheaper to shoot regularly.

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    But with the SCAR you have to make sure the 4 bolts holding the barrel into the receiver are tight (and FN recommends you checking them every 500 rounds which on a full auto battle rifle would come up pretty quick, or at least I'd think).

I know a gunsmith who's had 3 SCARs where the bolts work loose and the owner kept shooting, and in every instance a new barrel was needed afterwards.

I had to work on one a couple years ago. The magazine started to chip out (dropped? Bad heat treat?) and when the mag finally gave a big chunk in the back, the bolt caused it to ride right into the little groove where the bolt would rotate and lock into battery. Locked the rifle up like a SOB.

Personally, for the price, and a piston AR, I think POF's Gen 4 wins, but that's just me.

Heard many a good things about the SCAR, but to me, ehh.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Lots of info in this video.

[video=youtube;_vhjl0pZAbA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vhjl0pZAbA[/video]

Also contains opinions so if other people's opinions offend you then don't watch it. :rolleyes:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Save your cabbage and buy a gen2 recon especially if you're right handed. Who cares about ambi controls if the gun is already set up for you. An ar10 is plenty modular. Just my opinion

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    But with the SCAR you have to make sure the 4 bolts holding the barrel into the receiver are tight (and FN recommends you checking them every 500 rounds which on a full auto battle rifle would come up pretty quick, or at least I'd think).

I know a gunsmith who's had 3 SCARs where the bolts work loose and the owner kept shooting, and in every instance a new barrel was needed afterwards.

I had to work on one a couple years ago. The magazine started to chip out (dropped? Bad heat treat?) and when the mag finally gave a big chunk in the back, the bolt caused it to ride right into the little groove where the bolt would rotate and lock into battery. Locked the rifle up like a SOB.

Personally, for the price, and a piston AR, I think POF's Gen 4 wins, but that's just me.

Heard many a good things about the SCAR, but to me, ehh.

Haven't had any of these issues. Even after several thousands of rounds, adding a 10" barrel, a suppressor, a timney trigger pack, and reloaded ammo ran through it. I love mine! I bought it for $2300 over 5 years ago. Great rifle, lightweight, recoil is like being slapped with a pillow case, ergonomics are excellent. I cannot complain. One day I will add the 17 to my collection!

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I have 2 scar 16's one FDE one black. The FDE one has the Super Scar Trigger, the black one is standard. Get the Super Scar Trigger, night and day difference.

AKMSU

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jan 4, 2014
    Westfield
    Only thing I have been able to get out and shoot through mine is surplus 147 South African, shot decent for what it was, do not have any optics yet, and kept the factory lower and picked up a bunch of factory mags from Copes dist. last thanksgiving @ $29, and would like to get a new trigger eventually, feels like someone dumped sand in mine...

Top Bottom