• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    A Bersa 45UC can be had for around $400 used. Those are great guns that are compact and easy to use and take down for cleaning. They are very popular and folks that buy them tend to like them a lot. It's probably the easiest gun to disassemble for cleaning that I've owned. Much easier than a Glock, CZ or 1911. It has a decocker, so condition 1 carry is not possible but for most folks, that's a good thing.

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    The cheap 1911's are ammo picky and will not live if you run any plus-P through them. Try and find a nice, used Mil-spec GI from Para or Springfield.

I have yet to find any ammo that my RIA will not eat up. Steel case, brass case, fmj, hp from any manufacturer Sellior and Bellot, Blazer, remington, Winchester, Federal, Tula you name it, it eats it all. Also (and not flaming) why is there hypehypehype for +P ammo these days? 230gr FMJ or 185gr HP that is .45 in diameter should be enough to obliterate any target without the need for tacking on an additional few fps. For that matter does ANY manufacturer rec running +P ammo in their weapons? I know my SD9 specifically said not to and so did my Glock if I remember right.

I have a standing challenge at my range to put ANY Kimber, Wilson Combat, or Colt NM up against my RIA in either an accuracy or stress test an have yet to find any takers to that challenge. I wouldn't argue that those other guns are prettier, they certainly are. It isn't even a comparison. But @ $500 otd this is damn hard to beat for a 1911.

rocktt.jpg

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    If he wants to stay closer to the $400 range than the $500 he may have to be patient. I follow used and new gun prices online pretty closely and, while I admit I definitely miss a few, I don't very often see a dependable .45 at the $400 price point. I am also ex-Navy and can relate to his wanting to carry a .45 due to familiarity. I got over it. Hopefully, he will too. There are a lot of high quality firearms around $400. Most of them are not .45acp. I would advise him to do some research on modern defensive ammunition and maybe that will convince him that he doesn't need a .45. Not that there's anything wrong with that caliber, it's just that his options will greatly increase if he broadens his search parameters. Wish him good luck for me.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Kahr CW45

I will second the Kahr CW45. I have had mine for a couple weeks and several hundred rounds and have been very satisfied. I was worried about it after reading all of the horror stories about magazines falling out, but I think they have headed that off at the factory now.

Top Bottom