• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm looking to start planning my first AR. Currently the proud owner of an H&K USP 40c, but I feel something bigger will accompany it nicely.

But...I don't know the first thing there is to know about AR's. Do they need a different license? Do you buy them premade, or always buy the parts separate? Are all parts interchangable/compatible? What should I consider when I look to getting one? Where is a good place to get on, or the parts for one?

I understand there are "uppers" and "lowers". What else? What does "flat top" mean? Is a stock part of a lower typically?

Any AR-newbie advice would be very appreciated. I can't wait to be a proud AR owner as I see some of you are.

Thanks!

Last edited:

mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    check out this link as well. It may answer some of your questions.

So you want to buy an AR-15, huh?

I just bought my first ar, and I am extremely happy with it. You also may want to shoot a few if you have any friends with them or you might live near some forum members that can help you out.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I'm looking to start planning my first AR. Currently the proud owner of an H&K USP 40c, but I feel something bigger will accompany it nicely.

But...I don't know the first thing there is to know about AR's. Do they need a different license? Do you buy them premade, or always buy the parts separate? Are all parts interchangable/compatible? What should I consider when I look to getting one? Where is a good place to get on, or the parts for one?

I understand there are "uppers" and "lowers". What else? What does "flat top" mean? Is a stock part of a lower typically?

Any AR-newbie advice would be very appreciated. I can't wait to be a proud AR owner as I see some of you are.

Thanks!

1) guns can be bought whole. they can be bought as complete uppers and lowers. they can be bought piece by piece. for a first AR, I strongly recommend buying a factory gun. this way you can get used to all the ins and outs of the platform.

2) most parts will be interchangeable. there are some exceptions, such as mil-spec and commercial buffers, colt large pins, etc but dont fret about that stuff.

3) there are tons of local and internet dealers for parts and whole rifles. I purchased this rifle as a complete lower from DS Arms and a complete upper from PK Firearms. When all was said and done, I paid $775 for an M16A4 clone. BCM charges about $1100 for an equivalent whole rifle.
    20110411115947.jpg

4)a flattop refers to the lack of a permanent carry handle. instead there is a rail that can be used to mount BUIS, optics, detachable carry handle etc. I recommend getting a flattop with a carry handle. here is an example of a flattop. mounted on the rail is an ACOG and MBUS.

20110409085413.jpg

5) a stock will be included if you buy a complete lower or a kit. it all depends on what you want to buy

in terms of things to consider when shopping, I would look at barrel length, .223 vs 5.56 chamber, chrome-lining, fixed vs adjustable buttstock and barrel profile (government vs HBAR for example. when comparing M4 style ARs, the Colt 6920 is the gold standard. And while most ARs will be just fine for the average shooter, keep in mind that not all ARs are created equal.

hope this helps.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    ROCK RIVER ARMS . com to buy. My sons and I have a few - cant go wrong. BUT with all brands you have SO many Choices. Keep asking these questions!

piercedjp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    All of the above information is very good, but let me try to sell the idea of building your own. There are really three main reasons that I think you should consider the self-build option.

1) You get to know the gun. Assembly is really not too difficult, and building it yourself forces you to learn all about the parts and how they work. I believe it will also help you down the line if you have problems with it, because you are more likely to understand what the problem might be.

2) Cost. It really isnt all that much cheaper to build it yourself, but you can spread the cost out over time. You can buy a stripped lower for under $100 easily and then go from there, part by part. When its all said and done you may easily spend as much as you would have if you bought it premade, but to me it was easier to spread the cost out over six months than it was to come up with it all at once.

3) You get what you want...exactly what you want. When you build it, you get to make every choice and change/upgrade any parts that are of your liking. You could, of course, buy a premade and modify it later, but I really think its easier to do it all on your own build.

Ultimately, its up to you. To me, half the fun was learning and researching all the parts. I also felt a certain level of pride in myself the first time I fired it and everything worked. Its not the best AR ever built, but its my first one and I will keep it forever for that reason.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    All of the above information is very good, but let me try to sell the idea of building your own. There are really three main reasons that I think you should consider the self-build option.

1) You get to know the gun. Assembly is really not too difficult, and building it yourself forces you to learn all about the parts and how they work. I believe it will also help you down the line if you have problems with it, because you are more likely to understand what the problem might be.

2) Cost. It really isnt all that much cheaper to build it yourself, but you can spread the cost out over time. You can buy a stripped lower for under $100 easily and then go from there, part by part. When its all said and done you may easily spend as much as you would have if you bought it premade, but to me it was easier to spread the cost out over six months than it was to come up with it all at once.

3) You get what you want...exactly what you want. When you build it, you get to make every choice and change/upgrade any parts that are of your liking. You could, of course, buy a premade and modify it later, but I really think its easier to do it all on your own build.

Ultimately, its up to you. To me, half the fun was learning and researching all the parts. I also felt a certain level of pride in myself the first time I fired it and everything worked. Its not the best AR ever built, but its my first one and I will keep it forever for that reason.

some good stuff here. one thing i might add though is that if you find out the AR platform isnt for you (HA!), a factory gun may have better resale value, esp a brand like Colt. I personally would be wary of a buying a frankengun that was built completely from the ground up. Maybe I'm just too cautious. :dunno:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Great information here so far, and I really do appreciate it.

To LPman - I'm the kind of person that won't purchase "off-brand", so I'll likely end up getting a pretty reputable brand. As an IT guy and lifetime computer builder, I'm very aware of compatibility issues... so making sure every part works together is something I'll have to do extensive research on.

Style is something I'm trying to figure out... I check the "Show us your AR" thread and see lots that I love, and lots that I really dislike (multi-colored ones? The all-black look is what I want.) Some styles really jump out, but I can't say 'what' they are and how to look for them.

What's the most common AR length/ammo? I want to be somewhat modern in that respect, if there is one moreso than the other.

I think a flat-top would be beneficial, as I would like to have a scope or red-dot option in the future... but I definitely want to have iron sights

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    the most common is the 16 inch carbine M4 style chambered in 5.56 NATO.

I wanted a Colt for several reasons, so I bought a 6920. Besides the extra 1.5 inches of barrel and the FCG, the 6920 is the same gun as the M4. They are made from the exact same parts otherwise and complies with the M4 TDP. What this gets you is tighter quality control than a lot of other manufacturers. Now don't get me wrong, being "mil-spec" does not equal "the best." BUT....mil-spec is A standard. And many companies do not build to any standard- they cut a lot of corners and it often shows.

Colt does charge a bit of a premium for their name, but 6920s have been going for $1000-1100 lately.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there

Thanks!

I bought an AR off of someone at work for a really good price. It was my first one and I fell in love with it after shooting it awhile. I am in the process of building one like I want it to look (that's the beauty of the rifle) and received lots of opinions, advice and links to info from everyone on this site. Read all the opinions and advice here, look at all the websites and read everything you can digest. From a newbie I would say buy a factory rifle first, but beware once you start throwing lead downrange you will have to build one just the way you want it. Go see the guys at Bradis too!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Style is something I'm trying to figure out... I check the "Show us your AR" thread and see lots that I love, and lots that I really dislike (multi-colored ones? The all-black look is what I want.)

Can you show us some examples here in this thread? It will help to see which direction you're looking at, and if the "style" is compatible to your overall goals.

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    i would suggest not doing a build your own because nobody wants to buy someone's Frankenstein later down the road. Its not difficult to understand an AR and theres loads of info online about them. Buy something that you can shoot out of the box...then build on it to whatever floats your boat. I suggest an S&W M&P police AR.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    i would suggest not doing a build your own because nobody wants to buy someone's Frankenstein later down the road. Its not difficult to understand an AR and theres loads of info online about them. Buy something that you can shoot out of the box...then build on it to whatever floats your boat. I suggest an S&W M&P police AR.

I just picked up an S&W M&P Sport as an entry level AR. It does not have a dust cover or a forward assist, but was an inexpensive way to enter the AR field, with a factory gun and an outstanding service policy that I know will be backed. There are also S&W models that are a bit more but have the forward assist/dust cover, etc. S&W ran some great rebates a bit back as well.

I had considered the Spikes, but by the time I was ready to purchase Spikes delivery times had extended significantly. Esrice has an excellent review of the Spikes here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...view_spikes_tactical_st_15_m4_le_carbine.html

Had I acted sooner I could have gotten in on some excellent deals that were going on with Spikes, but so far I am very happy with the S&W, form/function/price.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Those two are actually quite different, although they do look similar overall.

I don't know who they belong to, so its not my intention to offend anyone with my summary below.

This one looks like a bone stock M4 configuration. Therefore its got a carbine-length gas system, standard handguards, standard adjustable stock, and standard grip. Just about any gun shop in Indiana will carry something in that configuration.

It also appears to have a cheap ACOG knockoff optic. Normally these only look like ACOGs on the outside (which are normally magnified), but the guts are that of a simple Chinese red dot sight.

This one is first different because it has a mid-length gas system. As the name suggests, the gas system is about 2" longer, giving you a slightly longer handguard/rail, and longer sight radius. Middys are also said to be less abusive on the internal parts, and have a softer recoil impulse.

This gun has several upgraded parts, like a rail system, Magpul CTR stock, Magpul MIAD grip, Magpul AFG (angled foregrip), Aimpoint in a QRP mount, back-up iron sight, PMAG magazine, and QD sling mounts.

Of the two, the second one would be more expensive to build/buy. But it would also be more user-friendly and mission-adaptable with the enhancements. Either one would most likely be used for shooting 0-100 yards, mostly offhand.

HTH!

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    I wish I would have asked the questions that you asked before I got my first ar15 because all the advice on here is good. I have many pistols, but had never shot or held an ar15 and just decided one day that I wanted one. I didn't really look around too hard and ended up buying one at the Indy 1500 Gun Show...it was a very basic DPMS...had an A1 upper handle, but at the time, I had no idea what else was out there. It shoots good, but it is was very basic and plain jane, kinda similar to the first ar15 that you showed in the pics, but again, it had the A1 handle/rear sight.

My next ar was also a DPMS...an Oracle flat top. They are solid rifles for those of us not on the front lines in Afghanistan or in police work. I'm not saying they couldn't handle that kind of abuse, but there are better ones out there. DPMS is quite affordable, probably at the lower end, but not at the bottom of ar's.

I've had fun researching what I can do to "jazz it up", but trying to do it from the get go without any comparisons other than pictures to look at would be rather daunting. I understand the rationale of building your first carbine, but I agree with the others to purchase a stock rifle and then see what you might like later on.

I have spent way, way too much time researching and reading about ar's, but at least I've been able to go out and shoot mine as I'm developing a knowledge base. Picking up parts over a period of time would have probably forced me into making some less than optimal decisions. Of course, I made the error of buying my first one with an A1 handle. It wasn't a terrible decision, but it was certainly less than optimal. I guess what I'm saying is that you will make misjudgments along the way, regardless of the route you take. What you have already done is great and just keep asking questions. I want to build an ar, but it would not have been ideal for me without first handling/shooting one. Good luck on your quest. You will have fun either way.

Top Bottom