• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RAMMAN2002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Getting some money in a couple weeks. The only thing I'm missing is a main battle rifle. I have yet to buy a semi-automatic larger(>.22LR) caliber gun. I know everyone likes the ARs however I want something different. In this market I'm looking for something under 1500 dollars. I will be shooting this gun ALOT!!!. Being how I'm one of the weird ones that actually shoot their guns. Does anyone have any suggestions. I like synthetic stocks. I own alot of polymer handguns.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    So, you're looking for a "main battle rifle" that's not an AR and costs less than $1500 and will be shot a lot. Did you have anything in mind? What do you plan to use it for? Also, what's wrong with an AR?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Battle rifle? Buy a good SKS. You should be able to pick up the rifle, extra mags*, bayonet, and a couple hundred rounds of ammo (7.62x39) all for <$1000.

*-look for one that will take AK mags

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    AR-15 is the obvious choice for a lot of reasons. They are plentiful (or at least were) and have the largest aftermarket of any gun. Also 5.56 (pre-panic) is the most commonly available rifle cartridge making it historically cheaper to shoot than other rifle cartridges. (This panic has created a very skewed market...but I assume it will eventually return to normal)

However, if you aren't interested in an AR-15... I'd recommend you either look for an AK Variant... or step up into a .308 battle rifle.

I personally don't have any experience with AK's... but if you end up going up to .308, you might be able to find an AR-10 for around $1500 (if you can find a seller who isn't gouging prices).

OR....

...if you don't want the AR platform at all...you can be one of the cool kids and step up to an M1A. If you want to stick to a black composite stock, then (pre-panic) you could get a Springfield Armory or a http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=35 for right around your price range.

AND TRUST ME... you will be the envy of the rifle range!!!

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I got out to the range with my M1 Garand today, and trust me! More people like to eyeball and coonfinger my M1, than an M1A it seems! And mine's not even one of the gorgeous ones! I think rarity, historical significance, and appreciation of history, gives it more cool points than an M1A! (The M1A gets all the sexy points in my book though!)

RAMMAN2002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    I got out to the range with my M1 Garand today, and trust me! More people like to eyeball and coonfinger my M1, than an M1A it seems! And mine's not even one of the gorgeous ones! I think rarity, historical significance, and appreciation of history, gives it more cool points than an M1A! (The M1A gets all the sexy points in my book though!)

I was thinking about a M1A going to go to the gunshow tommorow. I want a detachable mag so the garand is out.

Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    I'm looking for something similar to what the OP wants but most of the 'modern' 308 MBR's seem to be in the $2k-$3k MSRP price range (and insanely higher in the private market.)

What I think I'll hold out for is the Colt LE901-16S once they become available, affordable, and truly modular when the little adapter piece goes into production. Having a 308 AR that you can drop a 5.56 upper on and have a completely different purpose weapon in less than a minute is very appealing.

The price is way too high, but a SCAR 17 seems like it might also be worth taking the extra time to save up for if you want something with a little more punch than a typical AR.

bmyers

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    .308 is not designed to be a battle caliber and thus few rifles are "battle". They are great but heavy. Wake up and buy an ar. If you don't want one for some reason, for $1500, buy a stamped ak, some decent furniture, and a case of ammo and roll on.

Edit: .308 is a battle caliber. I just think it may not suit your needs best as a primary battle rifle.

Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    .308 is not designed to be a battle caliber and thus few rifles are "battle". They are great but heavy. Wake up and buy an ar. If you don't want one for some reason, for $1500, buy a stamped ak, some decent furniture, and a case of ammo and roll on.

Edit: .308 is a battle caliber. I just think it may not suit your needs best as a primary battle rifle.

All those millions of FAL's aren't designed for battle?

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In

Thanks, I needed a good laugh tonight.

RAMMAN2002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Just to say. The main reason I don't want a AR is.....I want something different. I want something not everyone goes out and gets. AR-15 is a awesome platform don't get me wrong. But I want something with alittle more punch the .223 round just doesn't impress me. I grew up shooting my dad's 30-06 and loved it. I want something that is tatical but different but still effective. I have been reading up on AK-47s I like them however all these variations scare me. I don't want to pay premiuem for JUNK.

Top Bottom