Looking for opinions from fellow INGO homeowners.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    As some of you may know, I'm going through a divorce. Once the ball got rolling for the divorce, initially, my 10 yr old son wanted to live w/ me full time and my ex and I both agreed. I began looking for a house for us. Since then (beginning of August) I have successfully found and am purchasing (close on Tuesday, finally) a house (very happy that this process is over).. however, SINCE this all began, and I already had an offer at the time to purchase this house, we worked out a split custody arrangement for my 4 children. They stay w/ me for a week at a time. My ex and I alternate weeks.

That was the background information as to why I'm purchasing 'this' house. I know I need additional bedrooms, and altered configurations, but this house has the potential to have plenty of room and be great. My dilemma is:

1) I currently only have 2 bedrooms on the main floor. (although there are 2 full bathrooms)
    2) there isn't a dining room (wasn't a big big deal since it was going to by my son and I all the time, w/ the rest of the kids visiting occasionally)
    3) I'm currently staying in (and moving out of) a large efficiency apt that has dining space and we all eat at a table and I really enjoy this 'family' time with them.

The house has a finished family room and full bath in the basement. My intentions were to maybe use TV trays in the living room and let the kids have the family room downstairs as their play area. I'm also considering using the current "living room" as the dining area and putting the TV and living room 'stuff' in the basement (family room)..

Here's a link to the property listing: 609 W 8th St, Mishawaka, IN 46544 - HomePath.com

I love love this house and there's lots of potential. I can remove a couple walls and re-configure the kitchen/living room and the back room/entry way into an eat-in kitchen, but given the limitations I currently have, what suggestions can INGO come up with ?

Thanks for the constructive insight. (Please refrain from the typical "why would you buy a house while getting a divorce" crap and other associated nonsense that I already have a grasp on. I am not soliciting armchair legal advice at this time :) )

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That place looks like it's really been well cared for. Looks like a good deal.

Seems to me if you knock out the kitchen/living room wall, you'll lose a bunch of storage space. Would it be a consideration to use the down stairs as a bedroom/playroom for all the kids and use one of the bedrooms as a dining area?

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    That place looks like it's really been well cared for. Looks like a good deal.

Seems to me if you knock out the kitchen/living room wall, you'll lose a bunch of storage space. Would it be a consideration to use the down stairs as a bedroom/playroom for all the kids and use one of the bedrooms as a dining area?

I don't want the kids sleeping downstairs until I can put in an egress window (fire safety)..

And, if I ditch the wall between living room and kitchen, I would move the counter tops into a "U" shape incorporating the wall w/ the window, but remove all the upper cabinets so as to have a "bar" that we can sit at and eat.. (hope that makes sense)

But for now, I'll have to make due.. (I hadn't considered using a bedroom as a dining area.. I could use the smaller bedroom for that, living room as a living room, larger bedroom for the kids, and I could sleep downstairs I suppose..)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yeah, I didn't catch that there was no basement escape.

I see what you're saying with the kitchen and the bar. That might be the easiest/cheapest way to get a spot for everyone to eat together.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Yeah, I didn't catch that there was no basement escape.

I see what you're saying with the kitchen and the bar. That might be the easiest/cheapest way to get a spot for everyone to eat together.

From the living room, looking thru the kitchen (dumb idea/design, I know) There's a "back porch" kinda area where the bathroom is, yet it's separated by the wall where the sink/stove is located. I can remove that wall, remove the top half between kitchen/living room, and re-configure the kitchen to almost have an eat-in kitchen...

But for now, I'm wondering what the most efficient use of space would be until I can get the time/money together to gut the house and make it mine :)

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Knocking out walls seems to be the best long term solution.

Short term, have you considered going japanese style? Might be kinda fun and memorable. Get a short table that will accommodate 5 and get some sitting mats. Pull it out for dinner and put it away when your done. It could be as routine as doing dishes.

Folding chairs and and folding banquet table could be an option.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Just be careful. That wall between you kitchen and the back porch/bathroom has to support the roof of the back porch. I would guess, just by the way your roof is oriented, the wall between the kitchen and living room is not load bearing.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I don't want the kids sleeping downstairs until I can put in an egress window (fire safety)..

VERY good idea!
    A "PROPER" egress either window or door is required by state fire code for ALL basement bedrooms.
    "Family room/den" is fine, but ZERO "sleeping quarters" unless there is a proper egress.

Please note too that a single egress window is good for only one basement bedroom. EACH sleeping room MUST have their own egress accessible from the bedroom itself.
    A window or door between two rooms is INSUFFICIENT!

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Just be careful. That wall between you kitchen and the back porch/bathroom has to support the roof of the back porch. I would guess, just by the way your roof is oriented, the wall between the kitchen and living room is not load bearing.

I am aware of which walls are load bearing and would have a contractor install a support beam and reinforce the structure as required :)

VERY good idea!
    A "PROPER" egress either window or door is required by state fire code for ALL basement bedrooms.
    "Family room/den" is fine, but ZERO "sleeping quarters" unless there is a proper egress.

Please note too that a single egress window is good for only one basement bedroom. EACH sleeping room MUST have their own egress accessible from the bedroom itself.
    A window or door between two rooms is INSUFFICIENT!

I agree 100% and wouldn't think of having the bare minimum.. in fact, shoveling the roof off and adding bedrooms upstairs might be more fun (longer term solution) :D

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Short term, have you considered going japanese style? Might be kinda fun and memorable. Get a short table that will accommodate 5 and get some sitting mats. Pull it out for dinner and put it away when your done. It could be as routine as doing dishes.

That's what I was thinking as well. Heck a long coffee table or a good sized round one could even work for the Japanese style dining and wouldn't have to be pulled out/put away every time.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Knocking out walls seems to be the best long term solution.

I was thinking along those lines as well. Throw a nice tablecloth on it and it can feel more formal, plus you could take it outside if the weather is nice to eat around as well. Gives you more flexibility while retaining the ability to eat around the table together as a family.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom