• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • autoKALASHNIKOV

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    This is my first post here.......Hi!

I'm looking for somewhere to camp North of Indianapolis in central Indiana. I'm not really interested in campgrounds, more interested in some woods I can just go out and camp in by myself and maybe one or two other people.

I don't even know where to start looking for something like this. Thanks for any help!

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Hia Newbie!

What general area are you looking for?? If you could give a couple counties, for example, that would help..

The trouble with the idea is that woods are generally owned by somebody - farmers, campgrounds, etc. Ideally, if you could find a state park or forest that wasn't highly traveled, that would be ideal.. otherwise, you're looking at asking a "buddy" to camp on their land..

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Well I go about an hour or so west. Near a Lil place called Sugar Creek. Theres some Amish land up there. Just cross the wooden bridge and find a spot.... I camp in an alcove surrounded by rock because it used to be an ancient river. I can shoot my guns, Hike, camp and even go down to "devils den" a place where John Dillinger used to hide out and party. Its great! I Take "Burping Bertha" (my heavy Yugo AK47) After a weekend she has enough dirt in her to blow up a black rifle 10 times...lol This ain't black rifle country unless you wanna spend the whole time cleaning your rifle....lol

P.S. If ( ain't ) ain't a word.... why did spell check correct my spelling of it?

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Most of the ground you speak of is private. There are some who will let you camp there if you respect their property. By that I mean should you be granted permission take out all you take in.

Not knowing you raises honest questions that the landowner might consider as well. They might be: why don't you go to a state forest, what is your reason for not using public facilities, and so on.
    Again, not knowing someone is reason for concern nowadays. Once a person gets to know you things can be great. Just my 2 cents worth.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    When I say "near" I mean within 20 miles of Sugar-Creek we pass the Sugar Creek area then it takes about an hour to get there. you need a 4wheeler or a big 4wheel drive truck to get here unless you hike about 10miles through the woods. There is barley a path for a vehicle and often fallen trees block the way. Been going there since I was a child. And my grandparents and family before me.... Have never left more than a few pieces of fire wood behind. This is a place so stunning it deserves the most respect possible. Met the owner once. Nice old man. Just asked that we leave it the way it was. He was fishing down stream. He lives there somewhere.

autoKALASHNIKOV

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Well I live in Tipton county, so I would prefer the land to be within an hour's drive of here.

I understand that landowners may be leery of allowing someone to just camp on their land. I would honestly answer any questions they might have and promise to keep the land just as it was when I entered it.

I don't want to do the campground thing simply because I don't think that it is camping......more like sleeping outside. Which I could do in my yard. :)

Again, thanks for the help!

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    I understand being close to home. Let me know if you decide to go farther south. I might have some connections. Good Luck and Happy Camping.

Top Bottom