• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wkpjci

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Morgan county
    I bet its already been asked but ill ask anyway, im looking for some opinions on loads for 9mm. Ive been loading silhouette and am pleased with the results using 125gr lead RN. But I would like to hear about others and compare notes. But since available powder is hit and miss here lately I figured id get some ideas.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I run 124g CMJ and JHP with 4.1g Titegroup. You get power with velocities around 1100fps but it will still knock steel down if it isn't calibrated to heavy. If it runs too soft for you , bump it up 0.1 or so grains

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    Excuse my ignorance, but: Do you have a target power factor? What do you want the load to do? Do you want a faster powder that might be snappier? Do you want a much slower powder?
    You can go anywhere from Bullseye to LoudShout, but skip TiteGroup for lead bullets.
    231/HP38 is about the most versatile, but it may be too fast or too slow for whatever your goal is.
    Power Pistol is about the most accurate powder I have found for 9x19, with Silhouette being a close second.
    For lead bullets and a fast powder, I like Solo 1000. Single-base and flake, so it burns cool and is easy to ignite, but doesn't meter well (and that is its only negative that I am aware of).
    If you can't find Silhouette and need something, you have the whole range of non-magnum pistol and shotgun powders at your disposal. They'll all work, but you need some goal to determine if they are working for you.
    You can go to Brian Enos' forums for all discussions of action pistol shooting and loads.

wkpjci

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Morgan county
    Excuse my ignorance, but: Do you have a target power factor? What do you want the load to do? Do you want a faster powder that might be snappier? Do you want a much slower powder?
    You can go anywhere from Bullseye to LoudShout, but skip TiteGroup for lead bullets.
    231/HP38 is about the most versatile, but it may be too fast or too slow for whatever your goal is.
    Power Pistol is about the most accurate powder I have found for 9x19, with Silhouette being a close second.
    For lead bullets and a fast powder, I like Solo 1000. Single-base and flake, so it burns cool and is easy to ignite, but doesn't meter well (and that is its only negative that I am aware of).
    If you can't find Silhouette and need something, you have the whole range of non-magnum pistol and shotgun powders at your disposal. They'll all work, but you need some goal to determine if they are working for you.
    You can go to Brian Enos' forums for all discussions of action pistol shooting and loads.
    Thanks for the clarification questions ill try to answer.
    1. Im shooting for a power factor min 125. Will br running production or limited minor. (New to the sport of run and gun but I have shot in bullseye matches loosely based.)
    2. I would like to get a load as accurate as possible while producing the needed velocity.
    3. As previously stated I am new to the sport. So worrying about cycle speed is irrelevant. At this point in time it isnt going to hurt or benefit me.
    4. If you have no issue finding different kinds of powder to try out tell me we where you are shopping cause the local stores here have a wide range of rifle powders but pistol powder and shotgun powders are still scarce.

Top Bottom