• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pitbull1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I just picked up a lee classic turret press to reload 45 and 223. I also purchased the Pro auto disk measure and a die set for both caliburs. ( I think the kit came with small and large primer loader) Ill be cleaning with an ultrasonic ( working in dental industry finally paid off!) What else am i missing to start the process as far as equipment? Im assuming i need some type of tool for resizing the 223 but wasnt sure what it was called. (I saw a tool that attaches to a drill but couldnt find the name)

So in terms of equipment only, are there any other items that i should pick up before i start prepping the brass?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    You'll use the sizing die to size your brass. I think what you meant to say is trim, not size. You'll need case trimmer or a case length gage. Most trimmers can be set up so that you can use a drill. If you do not want to trim by hand.

This is the case trimmer I use. It can be set up so that you can use a drill, but you'll have to buy the power trimmer separate. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/269638/forster-original-case-trimmer

Or this
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/107333/lee-case-length-gage-and-shellholder-223-remington
    And this
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/476992/lee-case-trimmer-cutter-and-lock-stud?cm_vc=S014107333

You will also need case lube. You must lube .223 brass when full length resizing, or the brass will stick in the die. I like this kit.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/672826/rcbs-case-lube-kit

I also recommend a primer pocket reamer tool. In case you run into brass that has a Military crimp.

Last edited:

pitbull1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You'll use the sizing die to size your brass. I think what you meant to say is trim, not size. You'll need case trimmer or a case length gage. Most trimmers can be set up so that you can use a drill. If you do not want to trim by hand.

This is the case trimmer I use. It can be set up so that you can use a drill, but you'll have to buy the power trimmer separate. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/269638/forster-original-case-trimmer

Or this
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/107333/lee-case-length-gage-and-shellholder-223-remington
    And this
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/476992/lee-case-trimmer-cutter-and-lock-stud?cm_vc=S014107333

You will also need case lube. You must lube .223 brass when full length resizing, or the brass will stick in the die. I like this kit.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/672826/rcbs-case-lube-kit

I also recommend a primer pocket reamer tool. In case you run into brass that has a Military crimp.

Awesome, thank you for the links! Indeed i meant trim not resize, thanks for picking up on that!

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    The case length gage and shellholder and case trimmer cutter and lock stud that Patriot mentioned is what you'd use if you want to use the drill.

Don't forget to buy a nice Chamfer/Debur tool. The cone shaped one that Lee makes will work but I find the L.E. Wilson and Lyman ones much better. You can find one here...
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/789334/le-wilson-chamfer-and-deburring-tool-17-to-45-caliber

I would recommend just turning it by hand. If you use a drill with that chamfer/debur tool you will cut a lot off.

If you can get the priming system set up right on your Lee then you should be fine. Mine didn't work so well. If you run into problems you can buy a Lee Hand priming system that is great. You'll have to get a shellholder for it as well though.

There are 2 different models. I use the XR version which is here
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/413473/lee-auto-prime-xr-hand-priming-tool

And the Ergo version is here
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/962031/lee-auto-prime-ergo-prime-hand-priming-tool

You can buy a whole set of the shellholders for relatively cheap or buy them seperately. Most shellholders work for multiple calibers, like the .223 will also do .17 Remington, the one for .45 ACP will also do .308 etc. If you think you might reload more calibers in the future, the kit is the cheapest way to go.

It's here...
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/566058/lee-auto-prime-hand-priming-tool-shellholder-package-of-11

pitbull1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Fantastic, i was really hoping to automate as much of the trimming as possible since that seems to be the most tedious part of the process.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Fantastic, i was really hoping to automate as much of the trimming as possible since that seems to be the most tedious part of the process.

Trimming is no problem to do on the drill. In fact I highly recommend it because it's fast. But chamfering and deburring your .223 is a little different.

And as bang-bang mentioned, a good set of calipers is a must to measure your OAL. You should also have a good scale to check your powder drop. :yesway:

You'll get there. It's a lot to take in at first but once you get going you'll realize it's not as difficult as it seems.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Do you have a caliper with which to measure those cases, to determine if they need to be trimmed? :)

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Depending on which .223 die set you got, you will also need a crimp die if you plan on shooting the .223 out of a semi auto. Even the Lee deluxe 4 die set does NOT come with a crimp die.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Depending on which .223 die set you got, you will also need a crimp die if you plan on shooting the .223 out of a semi auto. Even the Lee deluxe 4 die set does NOT come with a crimp die.

Huh?

Correction: The Lee deluxe 4 die set, and damn near every reloading die set that seats a bullet, comes with the means to crimp a bullet in place. It's called a properly adjusted seating die and has worked for bajillions of rounds. ;)

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Where have you seen these special Lee 4 die sets for .223?. I have only seen two three die sets for .223. The deluxe and the pacesetter. The pacesetter comes with a full length sizing die, bullet seating die, and a crimp die. The deluxe set comes with a collet neck sizing die, bullet seating die, and a crimp die. I do not crimp my .223 rounds, and I see no reason to. As I do not flair the case mouth before seating bullets. I have tested for set back by chambering several "dummy" rounds multiple times. I'm not telling anyone not to crimp their .223 rounds. It's not something that I personally do.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Where have you seen these special Lee 4 die sets for .223?. I have only seen two three die sets for .223. The deluxe and the pacesetter. The pacesetter comes with a full length sizing die, bullet seating die, and a crimp die. The deluxe set comes with a collet neck sizing die, bullet seating die, and a crimp die. I do not crimp my .223 rounds, and I see no reason to. As I do not flair the case mouth before seating bullets. I have tested for set back by chambering several "dummy" rounds multiple times. I'm not telling anyone not to crimp their .223 rounds. It's not something that I personally do.

Once again...huh?

How have you tested for "set back"? What method are you using to chamber the round? It is absolutely conventional wisdom to crimp any round going through a semi-auto rifle...and it is NOT just because of set back while chambering.

Applying a slight taper or roll crimp, as part of the seating operation, is incredibly simple and has no downside. For the sake of argument let's say that there is no reason to crimp 223 loads...what possible reason could you have for NOT doing it?

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    Definitely get at least one real, in-your-hands reloading manual. Lee, Lyman, whatever...actually, get two.

Read them cover to cover. Then set up your equipment.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Once again...huh?

How have you tested for "set back"? What method are you using to chamber the round? It is absolutely conventional wisdom to crimp any round going through a semi-auto rifle...and it is NOT just because of set back while chambering.

Applying a slight taper or roll crimp, as part of the seating operation, is incredibly simple and has no downside. For the sake of argument let's say that there is no reason to crimp 223 loads...what possible reason could you have for NOT doing it?

I completely agree. Always apply at the very least a light crimp.

I also have not seen the special 4 die rifle sets from Lee. I've seen the 3 die sets. And every Lee Pacesetter set will come with your Full Length resizing die, Bullet seating die, and crimp die.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Huh?

Correction: The Lee deluxe 4 die set, and damn near every reloading die set that seats a bullet, comes with the means to crimp a bullet in place. It's called a properly adjusted seating die and has worked for bajillions of rounds. ;)

The Lee deluxe 4 die set for .223 that I bought from midway (comes in a yellow square plastic box) came with one neck sizing die, one full length sizing die, a powder die, and a seating die. In the instructions from lee it says that if you would like a crimp, you will have to buy their factory crimp die because this .223 set does not come with a means to crimp.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The Lee deluxe 4 die set for .223 that I bought from midway (comes in a yellow square plastic box) came with one neck sizing die, one full length sizing die, a powder die, and a seating die. In the instructions from lee it says that if you would like a crimp, you will have to buy their factory crimp die because this .223 set does not come with a means to crimp.

I have checked the Lee website, their full catalog, and the Midway website...none of them list a 4-die set for 223. Can you please post a link to where you found this die set? To the best of my knowledge, the type of die set you're describing, from Lee, only comes in pistol calibers...and the 4th die IS a FCD. :dunno:

Furthermore, a Lee seating die has the ability to crimp built right into the die. All you have to do is adjust it properly. If Lee makes a 223 rifle die for seating bullets that does not have this capability, that would be news to me. Their website does not list a single 4-die set for rifle...in ANY caliber.

http://leeprecision.com/reloading-dies/rifle-dies/

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have checked the Lee website, their full catalog, and the Midway website...none of them list a 4-die set for 223. Can you please post a link to where you found this die set? To the best of my knowledge, the type of die set you're describing, from Lee, only comes in pistol calibers...and the 4th die IS a FCD. :dunno:

Furthermore, a Lee seating die has the ability to crimp built right into the die. All you have to do is adjust it properly. If Lee makes a 223 rifle die for seating bullets that does not have this capability, that would be news to me. Their website does not list a single 4-die set for rifle...in ANY caliber.

Rifle Dies - Lee Precision

Please tell me how the seating die can be set up to crimp? If so, what's the point of them including a crimp die in the delux and pacesetter die sets?

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.

Rifle Dies - Lee Precision

I'll find the link and post a pic of the set, if my phone will get clear enough, I'll post a pic of the Lee instructions stating that it doesn't include a way to crimp.

Top Bottom