• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier 1955

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2021
    Ft Wayne
    Hey everyone,
    I’m asking for suggestions on what you would endorse for a .22lr gun. Part of my property is heavily wooded, with a creek flowing through. We moved here last year, we didn’t have much wildlife problems. This year is a different story. I’m battling raccoons, ground hogs, squirrels, and deer. The deer aren’t much of an issue, they have learned to give me wide berth. The issue is that our next door neighbor’s wife is Wildlife Wendy, she believes in feeding the deer, and other creatures. She puts out corn, which everything eats, puts out bird seed for the birds (squirrels love this), and even puts out dog chow for the raccoons! Then, they had to spend some cash repairing their roof and deck because they came looking for food. She just doesn’t get it. They even had squirrels get into their attic. She is clueless. I even told her old man it’s against wildlife code to feed them: to no avail.
    My solution now is to dispatch them, if they are on my property so I need to find a .22. I’m thinking about a varmint rifle, but don’t know which one. I would like something that isn’t too expensive, but needs to be reliable and easy to shoot, probably semi automatic. I would appreciate any help narrowing the field. Thank you all in advance.
    Ruger 10/22 or even a Ruger 57 pistol which I just bought. Cartridges are expensive but I reload all of mine.

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Love my old Remington 582. My dad bought it new in the ‘70’s for me. My first gun. Can hit a dime at about 80’ freestanding.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    If you can find a marlin with the micro groove barrel they are very accurate. First gun I ever owned was a stainless model 60 with micro groove barrel still have it and this is it's exact use today.

My very first firearm I purchased was a Glenfield 60.

I bought it at K mart with money I had saved from my paper route, lawn mowing, etc.

Dad gave me a ride to the store, I plunked down the cash, and walked out. There was no need to get permission from massa back then as the 2A was more respected than it is today.

Today seems like a whole different world....and it is not better.

Great rifle. Still use it on tree rats and garden invaders.

Bighoss91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2020
    Milton
    My very first firearm I purchased was a Glenfield 60.

I bought it at K mart with money I had saved from my paper route, lawn mowing, etc.

Dad gave me a ride to the store, I plunked down the cash, and walked out. There was no need to get permission from massa back then as the 2A was more respected than it is today.

Today seems like a whole different world....and it is not better.

Great rifle. Still use it on tree rats and garden invaders.
    Mine was bought for as a birthday present when I was 12. Still remember going to the range with my dad and grandfather to sight it in. Then squirrel hunting with both my grandfathers for many years. That gun holds a special place in my heart. It may not be worth much money but I wouldn't sell it for anything. I've owned many many guns but that 1 is worth more than the rest combine to me. If my dad and grandfather only knew the addiction they started back then. I'm sure they would have still done it but with even bigger smiles.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Mine was bought for as a birthday present when I was 12. Still remember going to the range with my dad and grandfather to sight it in. Then squirrel hunting with both my grandfathers for many years. That gun holds a special place in my heart. It may not be worth much money but I wouldn't sell it for anything. I've owned many many guns but that 1 is worth more than the rest combine to me. If my dad and grandfather only knew the addiction they started back then. I'm sure they would have still done it but with even bigger smiles.

Yep.....I know what you mean!

Fine memories right there.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ive had 541 T HB, 581,572,552 and 511.
    Anschutz 184, 64M and 141. Winchester 9422 and about a dozen 1022 ( standard, sporter, deluxe sporter and target build ).

IMHO a 1022 sporter ('66-71 iirc) is the best looking and feeling. Of course some shoot OK and some dont and w the fingergroove stock, bbl swap options are limited.

Id get the new CZ bolt rig....457?
    Shoot subsonic and call it done.

I have the older 455 and it does OK

Top Bottom