• DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It is a nice looking rifle though.

My only experience with Mossbergs has been of the shotgun variety.
    My first shotgun as a kid was a Mossberg .410 bolt action. I still think about getting one whenever I see them at shows, but haven't brought myself to do it yet. First .22 rifle was a Mossberg 44 U.S. bolt action too after using one in Boy Scouts to get my rifle and shotgun merit badge.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Here in Indiana, squirrel and racoons are game animals with hunting seasons. Out of season shooting will carry a hefty fine unless you first obtain a predation license. In Missouri, I dunno.
    Is this true? You can catch and kill them on your property without a permit. Does that mean you could shoot them as well or is it only catch and kill?

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    That's a question you should ask a conservation officer. Just a phone call away. I live in town, we can trap nuisance critters in a Havahart live trap (not a leghold) and relocate to rural areas. Check with DNR before you pull the trigger. If a neighbor is feeding wildlife and you're shooting the game animals that she is feeding (including opposum), expect her to turn you in. Remember, game animals are property of the state and have specific hunting seasons. Call DNR. Just my opinion.

carry205

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2017
    Florissant
    That's a question you should ask a conservation officer. Just a phone call away. I live in town, we can trap nuisance critters in a Havahart live trap (not a leghold) and relocate to rural areas. Check with DNR before you pull the trigger. If a neighbor is feeding wildlife and you're shooting the game animals that she is feeding (including opposum), expect her to turn you in. Remember, game animals are property of the state and have specific hunting seasons. Call DNR. Just my opinion.
    Thanks, Hawkeye. I want to stay on the right side of the law!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks for the tips…I live in Missouri, and I don’t intend to shoot the deer, just the smaller game.
    Dont take this wrong, but you should probably be more clear on your location in your profile. There are a LOT of small towns in Indiana, and many of us probably assumed yours was one of those small Indiana towns we have never heard of. (This IS an Indiana site after all)

But welcome anyway! Glad to have ya!

And good luck with the crazy neighbor. Hope she doesnt go full Karen on you.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Long barrel .22 bolt action with a good scope and subsonic hollow points.Shorts and cb caps just aren't accurate enough.The last thing you want is a crippled kitty running home.PCP air gun would be better,but a bit pricey.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

My dad got one of these on sale at RK for 99.99 + Governor's fee. It is accurate and so far very reliable. He bought it for a beater to coon hunt with so we don't tear up our nice rifles. Works great has nice iron sights and you can mount a scope on it if you want.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Is this true? You can catch and kill them on your property without a permit. Does that mean you could shoot them as well or is it only catch and kill?
    Definitely ask a conservative officer. Every situation is different. Also if in city you probably are not allowed to discharge a firearm. Not saying the OP is in city of course.
    If a coyote is getting my chickens, goats, cat or dogs he'll get shot, same with the coon. I had a conservative officer tell me if you shoot a coyote or coon with distemper or possibly rabies to call them so they can get it and record that information in case it gets bad or is bad in your area.

Don't we have a conversation officer as a member here? That would be great to answer all kinds of our questions.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Definitely ask a conservative officer. Every situation is different. Also if in city you probably are not allowed to discharge a firearm. Not saying the OP is in city of course.
    If a coyote is getting my chickens, goats, cat or dogs he'll get shot, same with the coon. I had a conservative officer tell me if you shoot a coyote or coon with distemper or possibly rabies to call them so they can get it and record that information in case it gets bad or is bad in your area.

Don't we have a conversation officer as a member here? That would be great to answer all kinds of our questions.
    I know you can shoot coyotes. Thankfully my dogs keep them at a distance though.

I would think you could raccoons too. I wouldn't put it past the .gov to make it legal to catch and drown one, yet illegal to shoot one though.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I know you can shoot coyotes. Thankfully my dogs keep them at a distance though.

I would think you could raccoons too. I wouldn't put it past the .gov to make it legal to catch and drown one, yet illegal to shoot one though.
    Varmints, and wild hogs you can dispatch if they are killing your animals or fowl, or stealing feed, and tearing up property.

Deer are a different story. I did find this.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Talk with DNR 1st. Once you have clearance from them, go with a good bolt action .22 rifle. An older Mossberg, Savage, or Remington will do the job nicely and you should be able to find one at a good price. With a little practice, you will become quite deadly with it and word will quickly spread thruout the woodland creatures that a "sniper" is in a certain area and to avoid it or else pay the price. "I told Uncle Joe not to go over there. But would he listen? Of course not! And now he's the main course for that guys' dinner!"

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Talk with DNR 1st. Once you have clearance from them, go with a good bolt action .22 rifle. An older Mossberg, Savage, or Remington will do the job nicely and you should be able to find one at a good price. With a little practice, you will become quite deadly with it and word will quickly spread thruout the woodland creatures that a "sniper" is in a certain area and to avoid it or else pay the price. "I told Uncle Joe not to go over there. But would he listen? Of course not! And now he's the main course for that guys' dinner!"
    I do a lot of shooting on my property. That doesn't stop the coyotes, coon, Deer from coming around. They get use to that. But you drop a coyote or two they learn fast to stay away. Coon and deer not so much. I've even seen a few deer watch me shoot on the hill beside my range I have set up.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I’m going to endorse the Marlin 795. I’ve rid myself of many, many raccoons with it. It is cheap, semi-auto, reliable, and extremely accurate. I use a suppressor, but that’s up to you.

Top Bottom