• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    even more so this year than most, but now I have choice to make that wasn't there last year.

I have a new (to me) deer rifle this year. A Puma lever .454 Casull/.45Colt. I've been using my Marlin 1894 in .44mag with great success, but this is something different.

I also have a new (to me) handgun suitable for deer. A Desert Eagle in .44mag. I've been using my Taurus Raging Bull, with great success, but this is different.

I've also acquired another handgun that wants to go hunting. I found a Savage Stryker in .308 Winchester with a 14" barrel. I took it to the range today and put 3 rounds in a pattern about 5" wide at 100 yards! I realize a 5" group is awfully big, but this was my first outing with this gun further than 25 yards.

I'm also suppose to be receiving a replacement upper for my P.O.S. Safir Arms .410ga AR15, so I will also have a need to satisfy that penchant as well. I got tired of waiting for Safir Arms, or American Tactical Imports (importer) to replace my P.O.S., so I went and bought a Saiga .410, so now that's in the safe too.

I'm at a place that I'm not use to. I have more firearms to hunt with than I can carry.

The property that I have permission to hunt rarely gives me a shot longer than about 50 yards. Most are under 25 yards, and a couple have been shot at 15'!

So, given the choices above, which would you prefer to hunt white-tail with?

I'm just curious. I'll probably try them all at one point or another.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    At 15 feet i would use a large rock:laugh:

But seriously the puma in 454 sounds sweet, i would love to have one myself.

The first deer I ever shot, a 9 point buck, some 30 odd years ago now, was at 15'. I was in a tree stand and he walked out from under me.

I did NOT get my Mossberg 500 12ga. securely in my shoulder, and I knew about it for DAYS later. A huge bruise, and a good bit of "ouch".

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    My first deer came in from about 150 yards and was headed straight for me but i couldn't stand it any longer so at about 50 yards i took a horrible shot at him right in the chest and luckily he went down quick but if i would've had some patience he would have been right under me and had a great shot.:):
    I have learned a lot since then:)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I've been using my Marlin 1894 in .44mag with great success.

If that is the case I would continue to do so. At least opening morning,

Switch to the 308 pistol for field hunting in the PM. If you have no fields then use the desert eagle if you must. I mean it is a cool concept pistol just will not fit in my hands.

Watch out for the pistol in 308 as it can cause flinching. I would think a 5 inch group at 100 yards has more to do with the trigger puller than the pistol. They are loud, fire breathing, and heavy.

I do not know how far corn rows are planted apart. My close shot on a deer measured 2 corn rows away with the old 12 guage. So 6 feet or so. I could have harvested it with a spear.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    When you trade up to hunting bigger types...

John_Deere_6620_PREMIUM_tractor.jpg

...I recommend either a Barrett .50 caliber or else an RPG 7.

Top Bottom