• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    if you use a pistol grip the thumb saftey is tough to reach for me. i preffer the saftey placement of the winchester over all three big names. trigger finger in front of the trigger for quick off and to the trigger. winchester 1300 just does not get the recognition but i feel is worth a good feel up before you buy. i think the action is just smoother and as for parts..... you can get anything you really need. it is just a little harder to turn it into a zombie gun but still can be done. i just decked out my deffender with all kinds of crap only to take it all off and put on a 12" standard style houge stock with a surfire forearm with light. simple functional and still light enough to lug around and manover easily.

i also have two mossbergs 500 and 590 as well as a remington police and a maveric basic pistol grig. remington has a better finish and seems more sturdy than all three, but i have over 10k rounds through my hunting 1300 and only broke one side of the slide and it still functioned fine. i don't know how long it was like this, i found it doing a full strip and clean (first time i did that in 20 years of owning it. maveric same as mossberg really and winchester my favorit.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Remington is selling a factory "tactical" 20ga. 870, 18", park'd, with the Knoxx recoil reducing stock (which should reduce 20ga to a plinker)

I considered buying one I saw at Bradis for around $400, but never got around to it.

or get with gungho at Tactical Shotgunner, he was working up a totally custom tricked out 20ga. HD 870, that he was hoping to be able to offer for around $600, if he hasn't been able to cut the costs down some. I know he would work with you to try to put together your custom specs at as close to your budget as possible.

ETA: if you still want to go 20, TSG does have some decent 20ga tactical loads. if you go 12 though, and recoil is a concern, definitely consider the Knoxx stock.

Last edited:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    i have over 10k rounds through my hunting 1300 and only broke one side of the slide and it still functioned fine. i don't know how long it was like this, i found it doing a full strip and clean (first time i did that in 20 years of owning it. maveric same as mossberg really and winchester my favorit.

That's why I don't own & never recommend Winchester 1200/1300's, the slide's action arms have a very bad habit of breaking.

slottech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2008
    N.W. IN
    I'll be watching this thread as I am looking too. I am currently interested in the NEF 20ga Pump at walmart for $165. Doing some research at the present time. I want something the wife could handle as well.

driver4562

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    West side of Indy
    I'll be watching this thread as I am looking too. I am currently interested in the NEF 20ga Pump at walmart for $165. Doing some research at the present time. I want something the wife could handle as well.
    I looked at that one too. it was not quite what I wanted. no real accessories for it. so if you just want a simple shot gun you are good. but if you want to low recoil stock or change your sight options you are in for a tough hunt.

Travis Daniel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    I truely prefer the 12ga over the 20ga and I highly recommend either the mossberg 500 or the remington 870. They are some of the best cheaper shotguns out there. There are also a lot of accessories that you can buy for them to do whatever you want with them later on. I have always owned an 870 and my dad had always had the 500 until I converted him to the 870 recently. They are by far my shotgun of choice. good luck with your decision.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Do some research on the NEF pumps. I believe they're made by Norico, a clone of an 870.
    I've worked on a couple of Norico's and was not impressed
    Remember your life could depend on this gun...:@ya:....Duce<><

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Basically the same question, but in looking at shotgun for a smaller, lighter woman...

She has tried my 12g w/ knoxx recoil reducing stock and could handle it, but the gun is just too heavy loaded for her to really shoulder for more than a second, or at least so without the shakes coming in.

Thoughts? I'm interested in a lightweight 20g with recoil reducing stock, but understand that idea of increasing the recoil because lighter.

its also crossed my mind that the LEO 12" stock for mossbergs may help matters by bringing the weight back to her shoulder instead of out in front, but not so sure that would make the difference.

Suggestions for a smaller woman's shotgun?

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Basically the same question, but in looking at shotgun for a smaller, lighter woman...

She has tried my 12g w/ knoxx recoil reducing stock and could handle it, but the gun is just too heavy loaded for her to really shoulder for more than a second, or at least so without the shakes coming in.

Thoughts? I'm interested in a lightweight 20g with recoil reducing stock, but understand that idea of increasing the recoil because lighter.

its also crossed my mind that the LEO 12" stock for mossbergs may help matters by bringing the weight back to her shoulder instead of out in front, but not so sure that would make the difference.

Suggestions for a smaller woman's shotgun?

Mossberg makes a nice little .410 Home Defender for smaller stature folks.

50359.jpg

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Let the debate begin. The Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 are both good guns. I have heard problems with the newer 870's rusting, but I can not make any personal claims. I have a Mossberg 500A that came with a 28" ported barrel. I then bought a factory 18.5" barrel for $79.99 for HD. Some will say that the 870's are better. That's their opinion, and I trust my 500 100% to protect my life if need be.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'd get a Mosburg 590A1 with ghost ring sights.
    It was a 20" cylinder bore barrel, 9 shot capacity same as a trenchgun.
    Also has a bayonet lug that takes the same bayonet as the M16.

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    That's why I don't own & never recommend Winchester 1200/1300's, the slide's action arms have a very bad habit of breaking.

that was after 10,000 plus rounds and it still worked without a hickup. i only found it after a full cleaning.

i have 7 and they are my favorit shotgun but to each his own. thats why they make so many choices. :yesway:

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    I think the classic side by side 12 ga is the ultimate. Easy to find ammo. Easy to reload. Simple & inexpensive. Also available in a coach version which is really maneuverable. Best knockdown of any hand held weapon.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    that was after 10,000 plus rounds and it still worked without a hickup. i only found it after a full cleaning.

i have 7 and they are my favorit shotgun but to each his own. thats why they make so many choices. :yesway:

I am glad you like your Winchester 1200/1300's however their weak point is where they spot weld the action arms to the slide, the welds are weak & prone to breakage.

driver4562

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    West side of Indy
    NEW thoughts on this...

Looked at putting a pistol grip with a butt stock on the mossberg and reconsidered the safety being on the the top of the shotgun... going to keep an eye out for a winchester 1300. and see what I can find. Winchester has the new SXP that might be an option too but there are no recoil reducing systems for it yet that I have found.

thanks for the all the inputs.

Going to get to try to get to tactical shotgunner this week and see if I can figure something out. looks like I am going to take sometime and make the right choice.

Deldorado

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Remmie 870, lots of accessory options for these, and numerous choices on fodder....hard to beat!

H&SFarms

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Southeastern Indiana
    I would recommend the Rem. 870 in a 12 ga. The reason I recommend the 870 in a 12ga. is first of all there are tons of accessories for them and secondly the 12ga. will deliver a little more punch and If you ever need to use it you wont even notice the kick.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Remington and Mossbergs are in the same Quality Range and come down to a choice in ergonomics...

If you are going to run a Pistol Grip type Stock, then get a Remington.
    If you are going to run a Standard Stock, the get a Mossberg.

I personally prefer an Ithaca though. Works better for firing left or right...

Top Bottom