• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Just submitted everything for my LTCH today. But before I ever consider carrying I need to become better educated. I'm looking to buy a good 9mm concealed carry gun in the $500 range. I've had my eye on a Ruger SR9c. Any thoughts or suggestions about what I should be looking for?

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I've never shot a Ruger SR9c, but have only heard great things about the SR series. Also, consider the Walther PPQ or the M2 version. My father has a ppq and it shoots great!

Bradis guns seems to be a great place to buy from or even order through.

Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    Get a Glock 19. Very simple to use and clean. Stupid reliable. Great size. Great aftermarket support. The newest models are $550, older 3rd gen stuff is less. All these are things you will want to look for in a gun if you decide against the Glock. I do not own a Glock myself but if I did, it would be a 19 for those reasons. I think the aftermarket support is one of the big sellers, after their reliablity. They are like the iphone of guns. Everywhere you go you see every kind of thing you could desire for the Glock. Get a less common gun and you have to hunt around for stuff longer.

Bradis is a good place to shop indeed. You might also give Elmore's a try. These shops are around Indy in various burbs. Others I have liked are Plainfield Shooting Supply and Beech Grove Firearms.

Last edited:

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Just submitted everything for my LTCH today. But before I ever consider carrying I need to become better educated. I'm looking to buy a good 9mm concealed carry gun in the $500 range. I've had my eye on a Ruger SR9c. Any thoughts or suggestions about what I should be looking for?

I really like my SR9c. It was my first gun back in Dec, 2012. Bought it for its safety features. Feels great in my hand. Versatile for the range or EDC with the 10 round and 17 round mags. Easy to take down and clean. Great trigger. Shoots flawlessly - I've put 400 rounds through it without a single failure. Much more accurate than I am. I added a Crimson Trace Laserguard to it. I really like the targeting that gives me.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Well, my last purchase was an M&P Shield so I'm a bit biased. I did shoot a friend's Nano recently and liked it a lot.

IndyND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Handguns are fairly new to me but I have read a lot and fired a lot the past few years. I wanted to like my Ruger SR9 (regular length), but I just never felt great about the trigger and never shot it as well as several revolvers and 1911's. I am much more accurate with a nice single action hammer fired handgun. I love the 1911's. Have been looking at the sig 239 but haven't fired one. Good luck.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    See if there is an INGO get together in your area. Meet & Shoot, Meet & Greet, Meet & Eat, etc. The best way is to try them out on the range.

You'll get to meet some great people. And maybe learn a little.

Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Walter 9mm

You can't go wrong with the Walter 9mm ether M1 or the M2. It is a little over the 500 dollar mark but well worth it. The only problem it is hard to find a good holster for it. I have two and both are good but don't like ether. Take down is easy and very reliable. I have both the 9 and 40 in the ppq and they feel the same in my hand except for the wt. Trigger pull and reset is great on both guns.

Sonney

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Mid size 9MM??

For ME a mid size 9MM pistol is the perfect carry piece.
    A friend of mine had a SR9, I shot it+NO LOVE here for the gun..

My choice of 9MM Mid size carry is my Glock 19, or my CZ PO-1. Check out those two before you buy+I think you will forget all about the Ruger SR series?...Bill.

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    I bought my wife an SR9C for her first gun. Since I was an idiot and bought it without her input I basically bought myself an SR9c. I carry it about 20% of the time and love it. The gun is super comfortable to shoot, functionally concealable with the two different mag choices, and balanced very well regardless of whether you use the 10 or 17 rd mag. I don't have a single negative thing to say about the Ruger SR9c and would encourage you to go shoot one...and then buy it once you love it. If you're in the South Bend area I'm happy to meet at a range for some quality time.

-Dobber

EDIT: Not quality time with me. Quality time between you and the SR9c. I just wanted to make that clear.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    In that same class (i.e. compact 9mm) you should look at the Beretta Nano. I've had one as my EDC for some time now and it really can't be beat.

Price-wise it's in the $400 range so that will leave you some extra money for magazines and ammo and a good holster.

patricktjms

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Springport, Indiana
    Glock 19 or 26. The smaller being the 26 and is easier to conceal but some like the slightly larger grip on the 19. If you are left handed, look at the Gen 4 models although they are a bit higher priced.

Top Bottom