• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Hey everyone,

I'm looking to get something a little easier to conceal carry, my p95 is a little big for the task. I was initially lookind at xd's but found the subcompact to be too small and the compact a little to big with nothing inbetween. I have also been looking at glock's, the g23 in particular and was pretty set on getting one. I tried one out at the range and it fit my hands nicely. I also like the size of it compared to other compacts, recoil was a bit much but i got used to it after a while. The only problem is that noone can seem to get them right now so i'm reconsidering some others. I went to the gun show in vanderburgh county last weekend and liked the feel of the Taurus milleniums. I just also came across the M&P compact which im doin some research on. I was wondering if anyone could provide some pro's/cons on these guns or any other suggestions you might have.

Thanks

Last edited:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    If the 23 was a little rough, I may suggest a Glock 19. They're a little tough to find right now, but not impossible by any means.

Good luck on your quest!

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    I'd look at the G19 and the S&W M&P 9c which is just a tad smaller. You will be give up virtually nothing using modern ammo when going from a .40 to a 9mm (no I am not starting a caliber war) but you will gain quicker follow-up shots (recoil will be easier to handle) and you will save $ buying ammo.

I switched to the M&P line last year in part due to it having the ability to change the back strap on the grip to fit the shooters hand (it comes with three sizes). This also allows for a Crimson Trace Laser that is a much better design than the Glock version.

M&P's have a mag offer going right now too.

See here: Load-Up Offer - Smith & Wesson

Buckaroo

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Thanks for your input. I didn't know the M&P's had the interchangable backstraps, i liked that aspect of the xd's. I'm not really looking to get another 9mm though. Also does anyone know of some gun shops in the bloomington,indy area? All i've realy heard of is don's, im not sure what all they carry.

msmith103

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    Hendricks County
    I second the M&P9c

I just purchased my S&W M&P9c about 2 months ago and it has been a flawless shooter. Can't give it enough praise. Shoots accurately (atleast accurate for me) and will feed everything from 115 gr wolf ammo to 147gr winchester hollow points. just make sure you get a couple of extra finger extension mags if you go that route. They make a world of difference in handling.

bat54r

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Was it the grip that was to small (short) on the XD subcompacts? They do make mag extensions for both the 9 mm and .40 subs.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    Syracuse, In
    I have the G23 and G27 with the Pierce grip extender. I like them both but prefer to carry the G27 in a smart carry holster. also have the internal Lasermax site installed so no holster issues.

Sold all my no .40 cal handguns so I only need to stock one size ammo.

thinking about adding a G22 just for grins!

I do like that I can change the barrels and shoot 9mm or .357 but not really interested in doing so just yet.

My .40 mags do work fine in my sons 9mm Glock though

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    My wife's M&P 9c was a great little gun. I liked it more than she did, and she's since sold it. She thought it was a little "squirmy" when she fired it. It never malfunctioned, I thought the trigger, after some use, was better than her XD9 Tactical's, and it was much more accurate. It was also really nice to carry IWB. It pointed well for both of us.

I'd certainly consider one. I like it waaaay better than the Glock 19, and a little better than the XD9, though purely for subjective reasons in both cases.

Cathy's M&P 9c
    Shooting5-3-08003.jpg

A couple pics to show it's accuracy
    Shooting5-3-08002.jpg

Shooting5-3-08001.jpg

Conceals nice and easy
    Cathywithasurprise006.jpg

Cathywithasurprise005.jpg

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    Have you had a chance to take a look at a Sig 239 available in 9mm or .40 cal. Typical Sig quality in a nice compact all metal package. I have one in 9mm and am pleased with it's accuracy and feel in my hand. Even though it is all metal, it's still not real heavy and it's close in size to others you have mentioned. They seem to pop up on this board regularly.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I've got the M&P .40C and carry it frequently. Pretty much the same size as the 9mm model. Good shooter, accurate and it conceals well.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I have a pt145 and I love it. One thing I would say if you are looking for something with a little better grip and three dot sights, look at the Taurus 24/7 line. The three dots from almost any maker are back ordered for the PT series. But great gun over all. Never had any problems and still carry it every day.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Try the M&P at a range and you will be hooked.

There is a reason that more than 370 LE agencies have made the M&P their "issued sidearm" since it was introduced in 2006. That is more NEW contracts than any other manufacturer. Most of those contracts have come at the expense of Glock and Sig Sauer. We won't count Springfield's XD... It has no "issued sidearm" contracts to lose.

M&P Sweetness:
    mp40cfi5.jpg

The history of Smith & Wesson's M&P line of firearms:
    The Smith & Wesson M&P (Military & Police) has always been a highly respected revolver from its introduction to today. Introduced in 1899, it became the standard by which every other medium-frame double-action revolver would be judged--as well as serving as the launching platform for one of the most influential handgun cartridges in history: the .38 S&W Special. The popularity of the M&P (aka Model 10) revolver grew so quickly that it was the most widely used police revolver in the free world.

The M&P line grew into a new brand of semi-auto handguns in 2006, and has become the biggest product launch in S&W's history. The company has been producing semi-auto handguns for more than 100 years, but it was not until 2006 that Smith & Wesson would roll out a semi-auto worthy of the M&P logo.

The NEW M&P semi-auto really is a worthy heir to the brand's name and reputation.

Top Bottom