• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • If your child got lost, where would you prefer it happen?

• Total voters

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I was having a discussion with my wife about a coworker of her's who thought she was crazy when my wife expressed she would trust our daughter with LTCH holders more than the average person.

So for those of you with children, if your child got lost, where would you prefer it happen.

railbug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Noblesville
    Legal gun owner stick together and look out for one another, I know there are good non gun owners but I would still trust people like myself. No matter how busy the 1500 gets poeple still seem to have respect for each other in the tight spaces.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Public Park - No. I've seen the creeps who hang out there all day. Too easy to completely disappear.

Circle Center Mall - HELL no.

Castleton Mall - And no again.

Indy 1500 Gun and Knife Show. It would be on the intercom in 2 minutes, tops. She'd be sitting at the front tables with the cops a moment later.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I would love to do a "What Would You Do" hidden camera kind of thing with a crying child at a mall and at the 1500. See which one has more people stop to help the child. I'd put $10 on the 1500.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't have kids. But, IMO, the 1500 is a MUCH safer place than the said places. EVEN with all the weird looking guys and all that ****ty body odor.

Necessary Evil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    I don't trust my children with anyone I don't know, and I am not the typical INGO member, most of you would consider me a left wing dirty comi, I hate violence and guns. That being said, I appreciate organizations like this that promote responsible gun ownership which is the only counter weight we have to crime and anarchy, hence my user name. So while I don't see eye to eye with most of you on most issues, I do think that you guys are generally honest people who would do the right thing, unlike what I might encounter at a mall or park.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Indy 1500 and this is why. It has nothing to do with LTCH holder, but to do with the PA and the main exits have police at them.

Agreed. Not everyone at the gun show has an LTCH, and not everyone at the gun show is on the up-and-up. There's probably a higher percentage of good, honest people at the 1500 than at the mall, but all it takes is one bad guy. I vote 1500 due to the security presence, overhead PA system, and the generally more stringent atmosphere.

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Agreed. Not everyone at the gun show has an LTCH, and not everyone at the gun show is on the up-and-up. There's probably a higher percentage of good, honest people at the 1500 than at the mall, but all it takes is one bad guy. I vote 1500 due to the security presence, overhead PA system, and the generally more stringent atmosphere.

I agree with this. There are certainly some questionable characters at the 1500, but for the most part, good people. Having police on site and the ability to get on the PA and lock the building down would make it potentially safer than a mall or public park. I voted for the 1500.

Still, crime can happen anywhere.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    There are cameras at Castleton mall. I'm not sure I've seen any cameras at the Indy 1500 fairgrounds facilities. If there are any, they are not able to position them specifically for that event. At the mall, the cameras are strategically positioned for the layout, which stays the same.

The reason this is important is because of the odds of seeing where the child went or to get good information on the perpetrator if, God forbid, he or she were taken by someone.

I picked Castleton over Circle Center for no strong reason other than familiarity.

dominicandemon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    St. Augustine, Florida
    E. None of the above.

Having a LTCH doesn't mean anything, at all.

And in fact, I was at a shopping mall years ago and saw a little kid that was lost. I took him straight to the security station and within minutes the kid was back with his family.

This is almost pointless to even discuss this.

Why not throw in a church in the poll? Any church for that matter.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    E. None of the above.

Having a LTCH doesn't mean anything, at all.

And in fact, I was at a shopping mall years ago and saw a little kid that was lost. I took him straight to the security station and within minutes the kid was back with his family.

This is almost pointless to even discuss this.

Why not throw in a church in the poll? Any church for that matter.

Obviously I would choose a church over all of those. The whole purpose was to show that on average, I trust people who legally carry firearms more than your average person to do the right thing and help a lost child out. They are statistically more law abiding, more prepared (obviously), and likely pay more attention to the world around them and more willing to take action to help someone.

The intent was not to evaluate the establishment, but rather the patrons.

I bet >90% of people at the 1500 would help if they saw a lost crying child, while the people at the mall would probably either not notice (absorbed in themselves texting on their phone) or choose to ignore it.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    Public Park - No. I've seen the creeps who hang out there all day. Too easy to completely disappear.

Circle Center Mall - HELL no.

Castleton Mall - And no again.

Indy 1500 Gun and Knife Show. It would be on the intercom in 2 minutes, tops. She'd be sitting at the front tables with the cops a moment later.
    that about sums it up!

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I don't trust my children with anyone I don't know, and I am not the typical INGO member, most of you would consider me a left wing dirty comi, I hate violence and guns. That being said, I appreciate organizations like this that promote responsible gun ownership which is the only counter weight we have to crime and anarchy, hence my user name. So while I don't see eye to eye with most of you on most issues, I do think that you guys are generally honest people who would do the right thing, unlike what I might encounter at a mall or park.

If you stick around a bit, I think you'll find that this is a actually a pretty diverse group. This is the internet after all.

:ingo:

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I would say that the crowd at the gun show is MUCH less likely to contain predators or sex offenders. Maybe some Mall Ninjas but most of them are relatively harmless:)

Top Bottom