• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    ...at Roush. Model 1991 Series 80 Colt Commander 1911. I have no clue where it went - I brought the gun back down to obtain a sight picture after shooting and the sight was just gone. I assume it went somewhere behind me during the recoil phase. I was clear down on the right end of the pistol stations by the wall. I grabbed the magnet roller and scoured the grass behind and the dirt in front of the stall and the adjacent stall. No trace of it.

GAH!!!! :xmad::xmad::xmad:

So I'm either going to go to McDonald's on Tuesday to talk with Jeff about replacing it, or pay for shipping back to Colt so they can replace it. I've not dealt with the Colt CS before as the firearm has always functioned flawlessly. I don't know whether I'd be further ahead to have Jeff put one in for me or to go ahead and ship it back to Colt. It's a fixed and pinned front sight and it looks like the pin just sheared off....

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    Everyone knows that front sight shooting is just a fad anyways. Just spray and pray my friend, spray and pray.:D

Just kidding, sorry to hear about your problem, but Colt has excellent customer service. Just send it back to them and they'll take care of you.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    You are supposed to keep your eye on the front sight! You must of flinched or blinked, allowing it to get away from you. I always thought that keeping the eye on the front sight was for proper sight picture. I didn't know that it was because they couldn't be trusted.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    You are supposed to keep your eye on the front sight! You must of flinched or blinked, allowing it to get away from you. I always thought that keeping the eye on the front sight was for proper sight picture. I didn't know that it was because they couldn't be trusted.

HA! Believe it! They can not be trusted....

To be honest, I did shoot a mag through it after the sight flew off - just to see. It wasn't quite as hard as one might imagine to hit a humanoid target....

Birdman002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    South Bend
    Sorry to hear about that hopefully Colt CS gets your front sight replaced and what not.

Not sure how the warranty is for that, so hopefully its free or quite cheap.

Best of luck man

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    Just got off the phone with Colt CS. They are mailing a shipping label to send it back. Estimated turn around is 30 days though. I don't really want to be without my firearm for that long as it is my primary SD weapon.

So, I'm either looking at paying for the repair myself, or waiting a month and saving the cash. I have a secondary firearm I can use in lieu of my 1911 as a home defense tool but I think I will still check locally to see how much I'd be out to get it taken care of without having to potentially wait a month...

To Colt's credit - they asked for the serial and were more than happy to help from that moment. The guy said they try to put simple repairs like this in the fast lane and that the 30 day quote would most likely be a "worst case" time frame.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Just got off the phone with Colt CS. They are mailing a shipping label to send it back. Estimated turn around is 30 days though. I don't really want to be without my firearm for that long as it is my primary SD weapon.

So, I'm either looking at paying for the repair myself, or waiting a month and saving the cash. I have a secondary firearm I can use in lieu of my 1911 as a home defense tool but I think I will still check locally to see how much I'd be out to get it taken care of without having to potentially wait a month...

To Colt's credit - they asked for the serial and were more than happy to help from that moment. The guy said they try to put simple repairs like this in the fast lane and that the 30 day quote would most likely be a "worst case" time frame.

I think I might have asked for a part to be sent and then tried to find a gun smith to handle this.

I can't see it costing too much, but then I'm not a 1911 smith.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    I think I might have asked for a part to be sent and then tried to find a gun smith to handle this.
    I can't see it costing too much, but then I'm not a 1911 smith.

Colt will not do the "part to be sent " deal under warranty and I doubt most other manufacturers would either.

Top Bottom