• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    With a warrant for the perp does that mean he cannot possess a firearm ? Does being arrested but not yet convicted result in illegal possession of a firearm.

Likely, yes.

1. Remember the last time you filled out a 4473? Remember when it asked you if you were under indictment or charging information?

2. Possession of firearms is usually a violation of a condition of bond while a case is pending.

If the police set the meeting place for the transaction, which ended up being within 500 ft. Of a school, have the police intentionally set him up ?

You betcha.

But were is this 500 feet stuff coming from? Is this just the media misreporting what the polllleeeece told them?

Wonder if anyone has questioned whether the police had a search warrant to view the contents of the peeps phone ? I think I recently saw a court case finding a search warrant is required.

1. I don't if there was a search warrant or not.

2. Yes, Indiana courts have long required a search warrant to search an individual's phone.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I don't get why people are so eager to put pistols in toddlers' hands or put kids behind big guns. Learning to kill and defend oneself is a part of human existence -- a gruesome part, but still a part. You can pretend your gun is just a remote paper punch and "have fun at the range" in your Nerf life, but it's still an instrument of death. Legend has it that Mongol warriors made their kids play with severed heads to "toughen them up." I don't know how true this is, but this legend can perhaps provide us with something to think about -- would you let you kid play with a gun before he is old enough to play with the severed head of his dad's enemy? Would you let your kid pose with the severed head for Facebook?

Alright, my comparison is a bit over the top, and the antis who find my post will have a field day. Point is: guns aren't toys, they are weapons deserving of respect as instruments of death.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    1. The parents are stupid.

2. Fortunately...or not..., stupidity isn't a crime or everyone would have been in jail at least once in our lives.

3. The mom's obviously a liar (the gun was OBVIOUSLY not a pellet gun).

4. Lying isn't a crime. See #2 above.

5. I never saw them encouraging the kid to put the gun in his mouth & pull the trigger. But I never saw them DIScourage it either. See #1. All I saw was them telling him to pretend he was firing it while not teaching good muzzle discipline. Again see #1. Maybe there was more than what was shown in the video but I never really saw the kid put the gun in his mouth. I saw him start to but he never actually did it. At that age the kid has no idea of the difference between a toy gun and a real gun. So, IMHO, there really isn't any difference between what they did and giving the kid a lego gun and doing the same thing. Both will teach the kid that "playing" with guns is OK. Teaching kids to play with guns (real or imaginary) probably isn't the best thing to start at such an early age. Then people wonder why we have young kids that are completely desensitized to violence.

6. OTOH, it's a fine line that we walk when the parents get arrested for something like this. If we arrest parents for letting their kids do stuff that might end up getting them injured then, again, we're ALL in trouble. Every time I put my kids or grandkids in my car to take them to McDonalds I am putting them at risk. Every time i let them fly in an airplane...or walk by themselves to and from the bus stop/school every day...or go to the park and climb on the monkey bars or jump out of a swing...or ride their bike...something COULD happen. Bloomberg thinks Big Gulps are dangerous. If the gun was, in fact, loaded then I agree that's over the line. But the government should have the burden of proof that it was in order to take the HUGE step of taking someone's kids away. They shouldn't be able to do it on a suspicion that something bad MIGHT have MAYBE COULD have happened. If not then it's a matter of time before we all have the possibility of that happening.

7. He was initially arrested for the outstanding warrant.

8. Then they figured out he was carrying the gun, loaded, without a LTCH. I don't think the private sale was ever an issue.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Seems to me BBJ is making the case that what the parents of the toddler did might be in poor taste it shouldn't be considered a criminal act. No different than letting the toddler climb all over a huge, cute cuddly fuzzy stuffed dog.

Poor taste, stupid, ill-advised; pick your description, and it shouldn't be considered a crime because it isn't a crime.

(And I once knew a man who miss-handled a stuffed animal once............and it wasn't a pretty sight)

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Poor taste, stupid, ill-advised; pick your description, and it shouldn't be considered a crime because it isn't a crime

I prefer the description "deserving of drawing and quartering by an enthusiastic INGO posse." After this INGO posse carries out its duty, no doubt our constitutional scholars in the politics forum will find reasons to justify or condemn the execution.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I would consider putting a firearm in the hands of a toddler and instructing that toddler to put the barrel of that firearm in his mouth to be both neglect and abuse of that child.

It is neglect, because it violates all four Cardinal Rules. It is abuse, because it is conditioning a toddler to have the barrel of a gun in his mouth - emotional abuse for the amusement of a sick parent.

As for the arrest: Kirk confirmed my suspicions above. The male sperm donor was not in lawful possession of the handgun in the first place.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    The kid was not being supervised, she was being taught to commit suicide. Not just a matter of semantics of the words used but of intent.

As for the kids playing with toy guns and having a kid put a gun her mouth to kill herself. If you truly don't see a difference then there is no way I am going to enlighten you on a forum. Good luck with that.
    They're sociopaths and there's a lot of them out there.

Squander

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    South Bend
    I would consider putting a firearm in the hands of a toddler and instructing that toddler to put the barrel of that firearm in his mouth to be both neglect and abuse of that child.

It is neglect, because it violates all four Cardinal Rules. It is abuse, because it is conditioning a toddler to have the barrel of a gun in his mouth - emotional abuse for the amusement of a sick parent.

As for the arrest: Kirk confirmed my suspicions above. The male sperm donor was not in lawful possession of the handgun in the first place.

There is a similarity to putting the child behind the wheel of a car and letting him play with the controls, press the gas pedal, turn the key and laughing and encouraging this behavior. This is positive reinforcement for encouraging the child to get behind the steering wheel of any car and play with the controls, whether the engine is running or not. The child does not know how unsafe this is and the parents share responsibility if something terrible happens in this circumstance. Remember that we cannot watch our children 100% of the time day and night, and we sometimes leave our children with sitters or other family members who do not know how the child has been "trained".

The parents are laughing while the child points the gun at himself and others. The child could easily interpret this as positive reinforcement for pointing the gun at himself. The child one day finds himself left alone for a moment and finds a loaded gun on the street or under a bed at a friend's house and points it at himself thinking that everyone will laugh and approve. I vote for child endangerment.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Now that you all are done knee jerking like the antis do, what is against the law if the gun was unloaded?
    Understand first that I would personally beat the guy to a pulp and slap the mom silly for letting the kid play like that but still-

What law is on the books against this if the gun was unloaded in the privacy of their own house. :dunno:

UPDATE - Mom gets probation in toddler gun case - Courier Press
    Other than the DA and the Judge with the standard emotional knee jerk reaction.
    I realize what she was charged with - "neglect of a dependent and criminal recklessness" - but how is that possible.
    And no knee jerk answers please - this thread is already completely full of them.

Top Bottom