• ...and so much more!
  • Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    During my recent search to purchase an AK, I found that the shelves seem to be full of ARs, but very few AKs available. This goes for my LGS, classified ads & on-line purchases. Opinions on why?:dunno:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    ARs sell for higher price, with higher margins, and seem to be a bit more popular. Id youve got limited space, the ARs are going to generate more revenue per inventory dollar, plus provide sales after the fact for more accessories. That's my guess.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    AR's are very popular right now, there are many different manufactures and assemblers in USA. The popularity in my opinion is that it closely resembles the US army rifle. The AK is not quite as accurate for range shooting although far more dependable. I personally would prefer to have my AK in my hand in a SHTF situation although I have several rifles. As has been said there are also almost an infinite list of accessory's available for the AR, I'm sure many Gun shops make as much selling accs. as they do with the AR. I have an Lr 308 and a stripped RR lowerfor an AR - thinking about assembling either a Beowulf or Socom upper.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Spank if they dont carry what ya want might i suggest going thru

The Saiga AK-74 Rifle - SGL-31 KVAR

AK74 Rifles Atlantic Firearms

Bulgarian AK-74 5.45x39 Rifle with Original Wood Furniture #AKAGUN-BUL-WD Centerfire Systems

AK74 : Mississippi Auto Arms, Inc ::, Your Source for Saiga, AK47, AR15, Tromix, Glock, and SKS firearms and accessories Mississippi Auto Arms

ARSENAL SAIGA AK74 .410 19" 4RD MAG - Impact Guns

I had to go elsewhere to get my Arsenal, I wasn't gonna settle for an overpriced WASR nor a canted Century Amd-65 thats 600+$
    Also there are Ak's for sale here and there on Ingo.

Last edited:

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Thanks for the links, I'll use them. I did manage to get my hands on an Arsenal Hungarian FEG SAM85 and I love it! Not a huge fan of the polymer "butterscotch" pistol grip so I'm shopping for something else, but, so far, it's the teats!

Brett

Marksman
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    ECI
    Dunham's used to have WASRs on sale on a regular basis. But I have not seen anything for many months! Strange.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    ARs are gaining in popularity so fast, because Americans have finally figured out that they are far more reliable than the errornet would have some folks believe. Also, after about 30 years of continuous improvement and developement, the flat top has perfected the rifle is many ways.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    ARs are gaining in popularity so fast, because Americans have finally figured out that they are far more reliable than the errornet would have some folks believe. Also, after about 30 years of continuous improvement and developement, the flat top has perfected the rifle is many ways.

+1, not to mention that people are realizing that the semi-automatic rifle is here to stay (not new technology) and that the ergonomics and accuracy of the AR are pretty hard to beat.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Dunham's used to have WASRs on sale on a regular basis. But I have not seen anything for many months! Strange.

The wholesale price on WASRs - when they are available - has just taken another increase. Basically we would have to pay for them, what we used to sell them for, so we will most likely not be carrying them in the future. There are far better options available at the ~$600 price point.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Ak's have been scare recently as many have been buying them up. There has been a renewed interest since like '06. Obviously there are tons of factors involved, many listed above, and when you add them all up you get less AK's to choose from.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Allow me to explain this situation. AK's were a great buy at say $300, at the market before the election they were like $600 for a WASR, not such a great deal. And right now they are around 700 for a WASR, that is a poor deal.

The problem is the US dollar has been devalued enough that it is costing importers more to get them, which costs distributers more to buy them, which makes them sell AK's to your LGS's at higher prices, which in turn makes the LSG's charge more for them.

There is a limit to how much people will willingly pay for a WASR ak, and there is just not a lot of profit in AK's anymore. I know my gunshop makes more money selling a cheap Taurus PT111 then they make selling a WASR. So how many LGS's want to have to keep high dollar AK's that people don't want to pay for, or they could stock AR's that fly off the shelves at decent prices.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Where is this new shop? Does it have a storefront? Didn't know of a new gun shop in Carmel. Thanks.

No shop. Rick does FFL services and carries items out of his garage (for now). He always has a few guns on his rack. This time it was the WW AK-74 and a Mosin. I guess he knows the guys in Bluffton, IN. He said his first WW AK-74 sold the day it arrived.

Adobe Premium Firearms

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Anyone know if they are going to have the Waffen Werks rifles in a regular AK47 (7.62) or are they going to keep just offering the AK74 variant? Seems like a quality rifle for the money but I'm not interested in the 5.45.

Sand-Dragon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    LaPorte County
    AK47 is the most popular rifle in the world and ammo for one is bountiful and always useful. Gun sales have gone up in recent years and everyone wants an assault rifle.

Top Bottom