• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have been working up some competition loads for my SIG P320 X5, and I have to say I am a big fan of Alliant Sport Pistol powder. Really great stuff!

First off, it meters extremely well through my Dillon powder drop. I love this feature! I worked up a bunch of different loads using 124 gr and 147 gr bullets, and verified each load (so much work... UGH). I was amazed at how well it metered compared to some of the other powders I use frequently.

Secondly, it burns really clean. In the loads I tested, no residual powder could be seen, and the gun was surprisingly clean at the end of the range session after about 250 rounds.

One of things I test for is to make sure I am making the appropriate Power Factor for USPSA shooting (Minor PF of 125 in this case). But once I find 2-3 loads that will work, I focus in on accuracy. This powder gave me fits because I really could not say that any of the qualifying loads were more or less accurate. How cool is that?

Perceived recoil is really a subjective thing, and you can argue against whether or not you can tell the difference between different powders with all other factors being the same, but Sport Pistol "felt" a bit softer to me than my standard Titegroup loads, and as mentioned, burned a LOT cleaner.

Overall, I am sold. This is really a home run for Alliant, and I am a convert for sure. And to be clear, I don't really buy into the "powder du jour" crowd that like to switch it up a lot. I have tested a bunch of the popular new powders, and have never felt that there is anything out there worth switching for. Until now.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Have you used power pistol? Chronographed?

Id like the find a less flashy powder than power pistol and really like alliant products....

Please and thank you
    Shred

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Yes, I have used Power Pistol. Not a fan. Lots of flash and smoke IMHO.

My goal is to make USPSA Minor Power Factor (>125 PF). These numbers come from my SIG P320 X5 (5" barrel).

Chronograph is my Labradar, readings taken at a temp of 56 F Degrees, %RH of 47%, and wind of 3 MPH.

I ran several loads in each bullet weight, but I am only going to show the ones that showed promise and meet my PF criteria.

124 gr loads: Both of these 2 loads met my PF criteria, but the 4.3 gr loads were more accurate. Actually, they were the best loads that I tested all day from an accuracy perspective.

Bullet Type: RMR JHP
    Bullet Weight: 124
    Powder: SP
    Weight: 4.2
    COAL: 1.08"
    Primer: CCI 500
    Case: Mixed

Stats - Average 1089.57 fps
    Stats - Highest 1104.00 fps
    Stats - Lowest 1064.00 fps
    Stats - Ext. Spread 40.00 fps
    Stats - Std. Dev 12.55 fps
    Avg Power Factor 132.57

---

Bullet Type: RMR JHP
    Bullet Weight: 124
    Weight: 4.3
    COAL: 1.08"

Stats - Average 1101.80 fps
    Stats - Highest 1129.00 fps
    Stats - Lowest 1086.00 fps
    Stats - Ext. Spread 43.00 fps
    Stats - Std. Dev 11.20 fps
    Avg Power Factor 133.91
    Notes: Very Accurate
    ---

147 gr. loads: Both of these loads met my PF criteria, but the 3.6 gr loads were more accurate.

Bullet Type: RMR FP
    Bullet Weight: 147
    Weight: 3.5
    COAL: 1.10"

Stats - Average 901.75 fps
    Stats - Highest 930.00 fps
    Stats - Lowest 885.00 fps
    Stats - Ext. Spread 45.00 fps
    Stats - Std. Dev 10.70 fps
    Avg Power Factor 130.62

---

Bullet Type: RMR FP
    Bullet Weight: 147
    Weight: 3.6
    COAL: 1.10"

Stats - Average 914.82 fps
    Stats - Highest 934.00 fps
    Stats - Lowest 895.00 fps
    Stats - Ext. Spread 39.00 fps
    Stats - Std. Dev 12.09 fps
    Avg Power Factor 132.83
    Notes: Very Accurate

---

Hopefully that is helpful information.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    I have used VV 320 for my 45 acp and 9 mm for a very long time. Tried sport pistol and am very happy with it and will not go back to VV. And the price is a whole lot better on sport pistol and is just as clean and meters great.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Hmmm... I like what I am reading about with this powder. I am currently shopping for a new powder for 124 and 147gr bullets. Price is excellent too!
    I haven’t been able to find it on a burn rate chart, but Alliant describes it as medium-fast so I’m guessing ballpark of HP-38 and VV N320?

Thanks for posting!

cakelly1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Columbus
    This powder is what SNS recommends for their coated 45acp bullets. I've loaded some 45acp and I am very happy with this powder.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Haven't tried SP, but having excellent results with BE-86. Low flash and smoke, easily enough oomph to push Major in 9mm if you want to push it that hard.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom