• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    I am sure this has been asked before but i can't find a thread so i will ask here. I am on a low budget but also tryign to arm my family in case SHTF. I have been doing a great deal of research and have some thoughts on this but would like some opinions from others. My wife and I both have a sidearm, we have 1 shotgun, and an older compound bow that i need some parts for but nothing major. I am trying to decide on a rifle i need to get for longer range needs. Given the fact i need to be very reasonable on the cost i keep looking at a 91/30 but the rounds are not common among other rifles from what i have seen so in a SHTF situation that might not be smart. I also worry a bit with only 5 rounds loaded at a time. This led me to think either an AR or AK of some variety. Rounds would be easier to come by i would think but the cost worries me a bit in regard to getting one.
    Without the bashing and trolls I would like to get some views from others in regard to a SHTF situation. I am curious to know what direction you would go with this choice and why.

gutpile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Savage axis in 308 at wal mart 277 bucks and has scope bases on it then get cases and a Lee 160 grain 311 dia bullet mold 20 bucks that mold WILL feed ANY 30 caliber rifle 7.62x39 7.62x54r 30-06 303 enfield are some examples start collecting wheel weights and lee ALOX cast bullet lubricant.............you need to read Ed harris Cast bullets in military rifles...and paco kellys small charges in rifle cases get a cheap lee reloading press and dies and a scale you can do all of it with a decent scope for less than 500 bucks

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    The AK and AR are both good choices. If you could, get one (or more) of each! I went with the AK for SHTF, though I do enjoy shooting the AR too!

I chose the AK because I could get more guns, more ammo, and more magazines for my money.

I believe the AK will hold up better to long-term use and neglect in a SHTF situation. Think of a situation where there are no proper cleaning supplies, there's no supply chain to provide tools or products. What you have is all that you have to work with.

If you have to arm a friend with a rifle, an AK is a very easy platform to learn to use.

gutpile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Now with the above you can load cast bullets from plinking kid friendly loads to some serious Deer killing and 600 yard target loads plus you can trade 30 caliber bullets to others for stuff you need in a pinch, using a 32 caliber lee round ball load and 3 to 5 grains of bullseye unique herco or reddot 1 lb of powder will get you 1500 to 2000 loads of quiet small game, plinking and training loads, or buy bulk 32 cal pistol bullets

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    The AK and AR are both good choices. If you could, get one (or more) of each! I went with the AK for SHTF, though I do enjoy shooting the AR too!

I chose the AK because I could get more guns, more ammo, and more magazines for my money.

I believe the AK will hold up better to long-term use and neglect in a SHTF situation. Think of a situation where there are no proper cleaning supplies, there's no supply chain to provide tools or products. What you have is all that you have to work with.

If you have to arm a friend with a rifle, an AK is a very easy platform to learn to use.
    I can;t deny the durability of an AK for sure which is one thing that had me going back to it in my mind. My only concern with it would be the cost. most I see are not much different than the AR's right now. Unless I purchased from someone willing to workout either a long layaway or finance (lol) i don't see it happening.

gutpile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    pound of powder 20 to 35 bucks 2k primers 80 bucks ability to make 2000 rounds and be self sufficient priceless

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    Savage axis in 308 at wal mart 277 bucks and has scope bases on it then get cases and a Lee 160 grain 311 dia bullet mold 20 bucks that mold WILL feed ANY 30 caliber rifle 7.62x39 7.62x54r 30-06 303 enfield are some examples start collecting wheel weights and lee ALOX cast bullet lubricant.............you need to read Ed harris Cast bullets in military rifles...and paco kellys small charges in rifle cases get a cheap lee reloading press and dies and a scale you can do all of it with a decent scope for less than 500 bucks

I would go .270 or .243 just for ease of ammunition selection.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I can;t deny the durability of an AK for sure which is one thing that had me going back to it in my mind. My only concern with it would be the cost. most I see are not much different than the AR's right now. Unless I purchased from someone willing to workout either a long layaway or finance (lol) i don't see it happening.

I totally understand. Demand and prices are up right now. To fully outfit your SHTF stock with 2 AKs, ~3k rounds, 12 mags, would probably run around $2,500.

Why 2 AKs? Well, I figure if we're going to have enough ammo and gear for a particular firearm, there better be a second/backup firearm that can use it too. Plus, you can arm twice as many people with two firearms.

So you're on a budget, and you want a rifle with a good capacity that can reach our further than a shotgun. Please don't be upset when I ask, but do you have a .22lr rifle? .22 rifles are definitely part of my SHTF plan. You could get a couple of Ruger 10/22s and reach out to 100 yards, and they're easy to use and cheap to shoot (relatively).

Just putting some numbers out there: 2x 10/22s for $700 ($350 each), 6 mags for $150 ($25 each), 2,750 rounds for $150 (5x 550 bulk packs at $30 each). Totaling $1,000. Search for used items to try to save.

Whatever you decided to do, you don't have to get it all at once, and you'll have to take your time searching and waiting for firearms, magazines, and ammo to pop up on the market.

If you're not totally settled on something, don't buy anything that you couldn't sell easily. If you pick up an AR, AK, or 10/22 and decided it's not for you, you can sell those items pretty easily and not take a huge hit.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Also, think about what sort of SHTF scenario you're prepping for and what you're going to do. If it's bugging out, you probably won't be able to haul around all the crap I'm talking about anyways, so don't worry about it.

My plan involves probably staying put and probably arming some like-minded friends and family who didn't bother or didn't think to prep to defend themselves.

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    Also, think about what sort of SHTF scenario you're prepping for and what you're going to do. If it's bugging out, you probably won't be able to haul around all the crap I'm talking about anyways, so don't worry about it.

My plan involves probably staying put and probably arming some like-minded friends and family who didn't bother or didn't think to prep to defend themselves.

As much as i would like to stay put i live in a mobile home community and don;t see that as a safe environment. I never really considered a 22lr as an option with thinking of wanting a bit more range than that. The whole mindset of keep whatever at as much distance as possible. But thinking about with a bit of realism, I don't see myself on a wide open situation where that would be an option. A well placed 22 can stop somebody just as well as anything else. My wife has a 22 as her carry choice so stocking ammo for that makes a great deal of sense as well. that way the rifles as well as her pistol uses the same.
    Great idea thanks for the added thought.

just an extra question here. When people talk about a 22lr rifle why is the only one discussed the ruger? Is it just a matter of name recognition or tested and verified reliability?

indyjack

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    just an extra question here. When people talk about a 22lr rifle why is the only one discussed the ruger? Is it just a matter of name recognition or tested and verified reliability?

the 10/22 is well built, very light, accurate, reliable, and easy to maintain. i rarely cleaned mine and could go through thousands of rounds before the action got too dirty to function. the only drawback i can think of is the magazines. most, if not all, are plastic, so you don't want to drop a fully loaded one. they will crack quite easily. the other problem is most hi-cap mags are not cleanable, just meaning you can't take them apart, so when they get real dirty they just stop feeding. hope this helps!

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    the 10/22 is well built, very light, accurate, reliable, and easy to maintain. i rarely cleaned mine and could go through thousands of rounds before the action got too dirty to function. the only drawback i can think of is the magazines. most, if not all, are plastic, so you don't want to drop a fully loaded one. they will crack quite easily. the other problem is most hi-cap mags are not cleanable, just meaning you can't take them apart, so when they get real dirty they just stop feeding. hope this helps!

Helps alot thank you sir. now i just need to find me a couple and possibly trade away my 870 or bow for one.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012

Besides being a great rifle.... the 10/22 has a lot of advantages in the aftermarket department. All of the semi-auto 22s from major companies are comparable. They all shoot reliably and accurately out of the box...

The difference is that the 10/22 has unlimited options. You can configure it to meet your needs. Want a heavy barrel benchrest gun? Build it... Want a super lite squirrel gun? Build it....

When you are talking about a survival rifle... then a few things are important.

1. Reliable
    2. Quiet (if you plan to stay hidden)
    3. Common caliber
    4. Replacement parts (should it break)...

Any .22 semi out fulfills the top 3... but none of them match the Ruger on #4.

I own a Savage Model 64, a Remington 597 and a 10/22 and they all are great, but if I could only own one for SHTF... it would be a no brainer (and I like the other two guns as good as I like my 10/22)

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Helps alot thank you sir. now i just need to find me a couple and possibly trade away my 870 or bow for one.

I believe your first post said that you have one shotgun, and I take that to be the 870. An 870 is a good shotgun model, and unless it's causing you some sort of problem or isn't filling our home defense and/or hunting role (depending on what you're doing), I wouldn't trade it away just to get a 10/22. Likewise, I wouldn't part with a 10/22 to get a shotgun. They're different tools and can be used more effectively by different users for different jobs.

There's no one right tool for everything, and they all have trade offs. Power, weight, range, complexity. I think having options is a good thing.

Home defense: shotgun
    SHTF defense: shotgun/AK (.22 if they can't handle an AK)
    SHTF hunting: shotgun/.22

Of course, in SHTF, just press whatever you have into service.

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    I believe your first post said that you have one shotgun, and I take that to be the 870. An 870 is a good shotgun model, and unless it's causing you some sort of problem or isn't filling our home defense and/or hunting role (depending on what you're doing), I wouldn't trade it away just to get a 10/22. Likewise, I wouldn't part with a 10/22 to get a shotgun. They're different tools and can be used more effectively by different users for different jobs.

There's no one right tool for everything, and they all have trade offs. Power, weight, range, complexity. I think having options is a good thing.

Home defense: shotgun
    SHTF defense: shotgun/AK (.22 if they can't handle an AK)
    SHTF hunting: shotgun/.22

Of course, in SHTF, just press whatever you have into service.
    it is a 20ge 870 yes. currently loaded to be used in a pinch but i am not sure if it is going to be reasonable to think i will be able to lug around so many weapons when the time comes i also have 3 kids to worry about. 8,7,5. so they aren't going to prove to be very good pack mules lol
    It doesn't get used for hunting anymore. It did for one trip but don't bird hunt anymore.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Your 870 in 20ga is not a bad choice! They are well respected, and a great home defense firearm. Adding a 22 lr rifle holds merit as well.

I only owned a bolt action Remington, gifted from an Uncle some 40 yrs ago. Shot on occasion, till I purchased a Ruger 10-22. They are a fine addition. You have young shooters, great to teach basics and marksmanship! Ammo is expensive right now, but I feel that will level out in time.

By your avatar you appear to appreciate marksmanship. A Mosin Nagant 91-30 is a cheaper route if you desire, 7.62 x 54, not a slouch caliber. They have the "spam" cans of ammo available.

I bought my rifle for exactly $100.00. Got a few hundred rounds af ammo, and a piece of pre owned history.(1928 model, Tula manufactored)
    Not new, but will hit a target at 275 yds. My shoulder hurts after 25 rds, so added a shotgun recoil pad( slip on kind, $2.00 yard sale find) and now it's enjoyable!

Note: The blast is awseome, need some hearing protectors/and ear plugs. the shorter carbine models are more so. Some shooters have left during a sight in with my Brother In Law, after 25 rds. Get a spotters scope, and sand bag to help you sight in.
    With kids, it's a task to add/change till things change a little. Keep your Bow!
    Do some camping, prepping, and hiking. All pretty inexpensive, and my two sons learned a lot in a few weekends. Good luck.

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    Your 870 in 20ga is not a bad choice! They are well respected, and a great home defense firearm. Adding a 22 lr rifle holds merit as well.

I only owned a bolt action Remington, gifted from an Uncle some 40 yrs ago. Shot on occasion, till I purchased a Ruger 10-22. They are a fine addition. You have young shooters, great to teach basics and marksmanship! Ammo is expensive right now, but I feel that will level out in time.

By your avatar you appear to appreciate marksmanship. A Mosin Nagant 91-30 is a cheaper route if you desire, 7.62 x 54, not a slouch caliber. They have the "spam" cans of ammo available.

I bought my rifle for exactly $100.00. Got a few hundred rounds af ammo, and a piece of pre owned history.(1928 model, Tula manufactored)
    Not new, but will hit a target at 275 yds. My shoulder hurts after 25 rds, so added a shotgun recoil pad( slip on kind, $2.00 yard sale find) and now it's enjoyable!

Note: The blast is awseome, need some hearing protectors/and ear plugs. the shorter carbine models are more so. Some shooters have left during a sight in with my Brother In Law, after 25 rds. Get a spotters scope, and sand bag to help you sight in.
    With kids, it's a task to add/change till things change a little. Keep your Bow!
    Do some camping, prepping, and hiking. All pretty inexpensive, and my two sons learned a lot in a few weekends. Good luck.

I looked into the Mosin's and decided against them. Even though they are for sure in my price range the rounds for them are limited and i don;t see being as easy to come by if SHTF. The 22lr and one day when money is better perhaps a Rem 700 to go along as well will be a safer bet i am thinking. With practice and decent optics on a 22 a well placed head shot should not be unheard of within 100 meters.

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Just my :twocents: like everyone else, but I would keep the 20g and try to get a .22. Are you a bow hunter or shooter? If not, I would try to maybe clean up the bow and get what you can out of it to get you closer to a 10/22. The 20g you can use rifled slugs and have enough power to knock down deer and larger game out to around 100yrds ( I use a 20g with rifled slugs for deer hunting during shotgun season). I don't think I would get rid of the shotgun to replace with a .22. I think that both of them together will make a good combination.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    OP I think you need to define your rifle needs; especially with respect to probable distances you would be shooting, the rate of fire you think you're going to need, and what you can afford to spend for ammunition and the weapon(s). If you live in a trailer court in an urban or suburban area - or most places in Indiana, for that matter, you probably don't need more than a shotgun for home defense and the sort of hunting you'd be able to do in most places in Indiana. If you're worried about having to defend against multiple attackers across a 500 yard farm field, you'll probably want a .30 cal battle rifle of some sort. If you're living in an urban or suburban area, you can probably get by with a relatively inexpensive pistol-caliber carbine, or, if you can find one, an SKS carbine. If you can wait out the current buying frenzy, the AKMS-type or AR-type rifle will probably do.

My point is, you should probably figure out what your needs are before you decide on what to buy.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    hawkenpicturenewenhancedforweb.jpg

Top Bottom