• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sjstill

Master
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Low Light Hostage Shoot!!

Come have some fun in a low light environment to test your shooting skills.

· When: Wed, October 29th
    · Start Time: 6:30pm
    · Cost: $20 per person
    · Prize: Gift Cards
    The shoot will consist of 50 rounds, 5 shots at 10 different targets. They will vary in distance and the shooting will be timed. 5 points for a head shot, 2 points for a body shot, shoot a hostage lose all points for that target. We will pay out the top three places in gift cards. The amounts will be determined by the total number of participants.

**Contact the Range for additional information**

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Will the low light be so low that flashlights or weapons mounted lights will be necessary?

sjstill

Master
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    I've shot in low/no light on this range a couple times. With ambient light, you can get decent hits out to 10 yards. Past that, a handheld/WML is very helpful. I believe the longest shot will be 15 yards.

sjstill

Master
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Jackson,

It will be timed. Still trying to sort out exact rules. There will be movement, drawing from the holster for those so inclined. Range will be closed to the public, since we will be downrange and dark. Will definitely be a cold range. If you have any ideas for this, we welcome input.

Wish I had taken better pics of Awerbuck's Mirage target, that would be a hoot for this type of shoot....

Jackson

Master
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I seem to recall that Frank Sharpe (View Profile: Glock21 - INGunOwners) has a pretty good copy that he's used in his classes. If you contact him he may be willing to give details of its construction. I recall only the basic setup. It would take some time for me to put something like that together.

I am not a huge fan of cold ranges, but everyone has an insurance company to consider. :-) I guess I was picturing something along the lines of an IDPA match but in the dark. I could see some division between hand-held and weapon-mounted lights. Or not. I'm not picky about that. If you got really crafty you could make it somewhat scenario-like. You get woken up from a comfy sleep and have to move across the house to save your two kids encountering people along the way. (Then if you were really really mean, you could introduce potential background issues on the other sides of "walls", but that probably isn't realistic for a competition.)

I don't know much about setting up competitions. I've only been to a handfull.

sjstill

Master
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    You know, I have tonight's USPSA match on my mind, and it's a cold range. I'll double check with the boss and find out for sure.

I've worked just about every Saturday since '02, so I've never been to an IDPA or IPSC match. It sounds like a good idea to model this shoot along those lines.

I'll get in touch with Frank, thanks for the info!

sjstill

Master
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    1st stage will be 15 rds.

2nd stage 20 rds.

3rd stage 15 rds.

Drawing from the holster at the beginning of each stage. Expect reloads!

If you don't have a suitable flashlight, no worries, I'll bring a spare.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Good stages, fun targets, challenging shooting. Great practice in the dark, and there are not a lot of places where you can get that. I hope this becomes a regular thing.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Some questions to reflect on if you shot the match tonight:

Did your gun run?
    Did your light work?
    If you used a handheld light how did that go? It is called strong hand only shooting and it is hard.
    How much of an advantage was your laser if you had one?
    Did your ammo smoke very badly?
    Did you have any fun?
    Did you discover anything?

Feel free to share.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom