• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SafeHomeFT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Dillsboro, IN
    Any other rural instructors seeing low attendance for classes? I have had to cancel my last few classes due to lack of attendance. I wasn't sure if this is because I am not getting word out, summer activities, economy, or what the reasoning is.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Advertising ideas also welcome.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Nope. So far classes seem to fill early. Seems to be a lot of interest training right now. This might change.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Location is a big factor!
    Facilities
    Price/Value
    I have to agree, some people are claiming ammo and such but training classes at HHRP have been full and I have members and non members asking if HHRP is going to up the training schedule.

If I could partner with a reputable person/training facility I'm sure we would be hosting more 1-2 day training events.

But This also has to be planned usually a year in advance and students at least a quarter in advance to get vacation, ammo, gear ect.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I know a few of us have seen good enrollments in classes, but some of the rest of us have have a dearth of students this year. I'm sure the ammo situation and the economy in general are playing a role, but there are probably other factors as well.

It could be that the market is oversaturated at this point, at least in some localities. Some of it is location and what I think it an odd (and relatively recent) trend for people to reject training opportunities that are not adjacent to their back yard. Some people will not drive more than 5 minutes from their driveway for the best training available, and some will drive a couple of days to attend a class of their choice. In years past, the latter was more common.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    I have no idea how to read it. I had my busiest month ever in June, and this weekend I have no one signed up. Courses are either packed or empty, it seems.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    For me ammunition availability has been a factor.

Since ammo availability has been inconsistent/sporadic, I wouldn't be surprised if training attendance has also been inconsistent/sporadic.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    It would make sense that the high round count courses are affected by the ammo situation.

Basic classes such as NRA courses are probably more affected by market saturation of instructors, as well as those other things that have been mentioned.

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    I'm sure ammo is a factor. One thing no one has mentioned is material...are you offering the right stuff, especially for repeat customers? I have stopped training with my original, local, instructor because he has run out of new material. I have to travel for it more often than I used to.

Food for thought anyway. He lost a really good customer by not growing himself.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Appleseed casts a pretty big net. There have been a little under 1200 events so far this year nationwide and the numbers we collect suggest that shoots near urban areas routinely do better. The events near the large urban centers in California sell out every time. The shoots it Manhattan sell out every time. The only event location that is rural that sells out every time is Bedford, Indiana. Still, that being said, Seeds at Nashville and Evansville have sold out.

We have data that suggests ammo is still part of the issue particularly in rural areas. No way for us to fix that. Wolf sponsoring the Atterbury shoot was big. I asked how many of the 40 would not have attended if the ammo had not been free and only 3 of 40 people raised their hands. I suspect a little fibbing on that one since we had never had more than 20 shooters there before.

Location ammo and individual rep. seems like a big part of it.

Plisken

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Under the radar
    I would say it has a lot to with the economy and the availibility of ammo. People arent lettin go of their $$$$ to easy nowadays. Just my opinion.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Just finished compiling the June numbers, and, for the first half of 2013, we are at 2.5 times what we were in June of last year, which was 1.5 times the first half of 2011. So far, 2013 has been a record year, and we have had to add additional sections of Handgun I during the week.

Typically, business slacks off a bit in the summer, and, while the July and August classes aren't packed, yet, business is quite brisk.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Any other rural instructors seeing low attendance for classes? I have had to cancel my last few classes due to lack of attendance. I wasn't sure if this is because I am not getting word out, summer activities, economy, or what the reasoning is.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Advertising ideas also welcome.

Wow. A lot to bring up/think about in a single thread. There's entire degree programs for this segment of business.

I would suggest that you take a long hard look at your classes/curriculum which you offer along with your level of experience which you can utilize in your offerings. Identify the "type" of people which would seek out that sort of training. Then consider your location and the potential availability of that level of training in the region. (ie if you're in a rural area not only will the population be decreased but the number of people who seek out professional instruction on introductory firearms training will be less too because people in such area often grow up around guns or know others who are well educated and willing to share in knowledge for free) Even if they aren't as knowledgeable as they like to think they are, American consumers are all about the best deal. If they think their "uncle Bob" is knowledgeable then they'll see little value in paying for an introductory safety course.

From there you'll also need to consider immediate competition in the area, their prices, curriculum, the little "extras" they offer, etc. All of this together then will give you a very high level idea of how your offerings stack up against the competition nearby and what sort of pricing you can expect to achieve given the available market.

This will also give you an idea of how to advertise. I always recommend public outlets such as Twitter and FB. It's the easiest and cheapest way to reach the potential of millions of customers. Of course, that goes without mentioning how professional you can conduct yourself against criticism and in general. PR capabilities can make or break businesses, especially smaller ones. So, this is one area I typically recommend hiring someone to handle the marketing of your business and social media accounts because this is yet again a whole other factor of education which many small businesses fall short on.

My wife could give you FAR more detailed information as to the math behind it all, but it's not always necessary as long as you get the concepts behind it. I research more of the "social" side (public relations, communication, sociology, psychology, social impact, etc.)

Hope this helps some.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom