• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    WP_20160303_001.jpg See photo of crack on right side, just below the feed lip. The gun has less than 600 rounds through it. I have 11 twenty round PMAG 20's and some PMAG 25's for my AR-10A. All 600 rounds have been spread out through them all. Even assuming that I used this ONE magazine for all 600 rounds, I'm thinking it shouldn't have failed with this many rounds over the 18 months since I purchased this rifle/magazines new from the dealer.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Magpul will make I right. Another thing to consider/remember, mags are an expendable item, and they do need replaced.(though this one seems to have failed early)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm not sold on Pmags but I have a few and they've run fine. Are you keeping them fully loaded? If so, are you using the dust cover to take pressure off of the feed lips?

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I do not care for polymer mags.
    That's just me.
    YMMV

I get where you're coming from, but I look at it the opposite way. Having bent or dented many USGI mags to the point of uselessness, I now prefer polymer. Either can fail, they just fail in different ways. As mentioned, they're disposable.

You make your choices and take your chances.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I get where you're coming from, but I look at it the opposite way. Having bent or dented many USGI mags to the point of uselessness, I now prefer polymer. Either can fail, they just fail in different ways. As mentioned, they're disposable.

Agreed. That's why I have both. I actually prefer USGI(Colt, NHTMG, Okay) aluminum nowadays, but I have an equal mix of both.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

I've bent up enough metal mags that I just use Pmags now. I haven't had a failure with any of mine yet, but as I stated earlier, I have seen three or four with cracked feed lips at work.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I'm going to call Uncle Sam and complain about all these crappy steel and aluminum Surplus M14 and M16 20 to 50 year old magazines that i have that have never had split or cracked lips.. Low bid junk...

Maybe those plastic magic magazine lips need some Abrevia rubbed on them.
    But you have to apply it as soon as you see a crack appear..

Top Bottom