• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Some of you may recall my previous thread about attending The Bulletproof Mind: Tactical Mindset for Armed Citizens seminar by Lt. Col Dave Grossman in Columbus, OH last year.

I have been in communication with Col. Grossman and I am committed to bringing him to central Indiana next year. I haven't worked out the details but it WILL HAPPEN.

I sent him a letter and he responded almost immediately with an email and we conversed back and forth several times.

When I noticed that he will be in town on April 18th giving a presentation to the Indiana Board of Education called, "Safe Schools and Healthy Students", I asked if he would have time to meet with me. He agreed to have a quick dinner if he can work it into his schedule...this absolutely floored me. Calling him a busy man would be an understatement. He is on the road 300+ days of the year. He is flying in on 4/17, giving his presentation on 4/18 and flying out on 4/19 to South Padre Island, Tx to give a presentation to the US Marshals Service and yet he said he'd be willing to meet with me. This just goes to show what an incredible man he is. He is a retired Army Ranger, a Pulitzer Prize nominated author whose works are required reading for the [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]U.S. Marine Corps Commandant[/FONT], a former psychology professor at West Point and an in-demand speaker, yet he is willing to make time to meet with me. I believe this is because he is passionately committed to what he does.

In order to allow others to get an idea of who he really is, I asked if he'd mind if I shared some of our email conversation and he agreed. I also recommend going to the below links and listen to him in his own words. It only touches on how passionately he believes in helping the Armed Citizen learn to better prepare mentally for a violent confrontation:
    Chris,
    Dave Grossman here w/many thanks for your kind note re "Dave Grossman CCW Sheepdog" training in Indiana.
    Chris, I'd be honored to work with you as equal partners in this worthy endeavor, my brother sheepdog.
    Here is the basic plan for the "American Sheepdog: Bulletproof Mind for the Armed Citizen" presentation, and below that I have an outline of the actual presentation...

I would love for us to do something ... in your area. My "American Sheepdog: Bulletproof Mind for the Armed Citizen" class is (as you know) very much like my law enforcement class, but I have saved some of my best material for this audience, using historical quotes that reinforce the "**** on golf" theme...

If you haven't already done so, you can go to www.GetBulletProofMind.com and look at the short promo video to get an idea (or to give others an idea) of what I am teaching. You can also go to www.PatriotTraining.org to see some of the work I am doing in California. We had over 350 at our last presentation. I am partnering with US Concealed Carry Assn (USCCA, a great outfit), and they are doing a great job of helping us to get the word out about these presentations....
    As I said before, I am committed to bringing Col. Grossman to Indiana. I will keep you all informed about how this progresses. I hope that this has sparked your interest. For those who cannot wait and are willing to travel, he is giving his The Bulletproof Mind for the Armed Citizen seminar in Cincinnati on October 13th, 2012. I do not know the details but I will be going for sure. Every chance I get I will go to hear him speak.

I hope you will attend his seminar either in Cincy or when he comes to Indiana or both. I also hope it changes your views and life as much as it did mine.

Sincerely,
    Chris

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I may be able to assist in scheduling a facility for the event in Indianapolis. I have some other events in the making right now, but they are more geared to beginning shooters, welcoming newcomers, and helping people with a fear of guns to get over it.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I will be there.

When you see him ask him if he's published any more research articles with rabid anti-gunner "researchers" and if he's really pro gun or anti. Now that he figured out he can make money from "civilians" maybe he's pro gun now.

Article excerpt

Pediatr Ann. 2001 Feb;30(2):87-94.
    How many more Columbines? What can pediatricians do about school and media violence?

Strasburger VC, Grossman D.
    Source

Division of Adolescent Medicine, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Ambulatory Care Center Three West, Albuquerque, NM 87131-5311, USA.

WHAT ROLE DO GUNS PLAY?
    [Authors' note: VCS is strongly in favor of stricter gun control laws, DG is strictly neutral.]
    The United States is unique in its apparent love affair with guns. No other nation in the world allows access to such firepower. As a result, no other nation suffers as many deaths from firearms (Table 1). A child growing up in the United States is 12 times more likely to die of gun violence than is a child in any of 25 other industrialized nations. Three-fourths of all murders of children younger than 14 years around the world occur in the United States.12
    When today's parents were growing up, the media were less violent, guns were not as prevalent in society, and guns were less lethal. (It should be noted, however, that only 2 of the recent school shootings involved high-tech weaponry: a Tec-9 in Columbine, and a 50-round magazine in Springfield.) Therefore, if a violent or disturbed adolescent did want to "start trouble," most often the worst that happened was a fistfight or a stink bomb in the lavatory. We believe that it takes the confluence of three factors (guns, violent media, and disturbed adolescents) to create school disasters.
    The history of the Tec-9 semiautomatic pistol (the type used by the two Columbine killers) is a textbook illustration of the difficulty gun control activists currently face.4,10 The Tec-9 was originally built by Intratec in 1980 and sold for less than $200. It contained a 32-bullet clip that allowed it to be fired faster than a conventional 6-shot pistol. In 1989, California banned it. In 1991, the District of Columbia did likewise. The manufacturer renamed the weapon (Tec-DC9) and added a nylon shoulder sling to get around the ban. In 1994, Congress banned both the Tec-9 and the Tec-DC9 by name, but existing weapons were allowed to stay in circulation and be resold. Soon afterward, Intratec introduced a similar model, the AB-10 (AB standing for after ban).13

Pediatricians should be aware that there is widespread support for gun control, even among gun owners,14 and that no federal gun control law has ever been overturned on the grounds of the Second Amendment.15,16 One author has noted that simply reclassifying guns as a consumer product would have a profound effect on public health because, currently, the sale and manufacture of guns is subject to less stringent regulations than is the sale of teddy bears.17 Similarly, a recent Federal Trade Commission report suggests that when violent visual imagery is marketed to children, it might need to be regulated as well. 18

The above are not the sentiments of somebody who is pro-gun and supports those being a "sheepdog".

One of the solutions, besides getting rid of violent video games:

When faced with even a single school massacre (eg, Dunblane, Scotland), other countries have imposed severe limitations on the public's ability to own handguns or semiautomatic weaponry. One columnist has suggested that because the Second Amendment is so controversial, it should simply be repealed and rewritten.45 Just as the invention of weapons of incredible firepower has caused a reinterpretation of the Second Amendment,46 violent media marketed to children and adolescents might result in a reinterpretation of the First Amendment, at least in terms of regulating commercial speech. Recently, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission issued a report accusing the entertainment industry of marketing violence to young people.18 The crucial question is, how many children and adolescents are American adults willing to sacrifice for the socalled right to bear arms? I loved this last line.

This was back in 2001, maybe he's on our side now or didn't really read the manuscript and just wanted the publication for his CV.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    I may be able to assist in scheduling a facility for the event in Indianapolis. I have some other events in the making right now, but they are more geared to beginning shooters, welcoming newcomers, and helping people with a fear of guns to get over it.

Thanks! I appreciate the offer of help and if you'd send' me your email address, we can discuss off-line. See my email below.

Also, I got the quote from his Bio from his website, "...[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He is the author of On Killing, which was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize; has been translated into Japanese, Korean, and German; is on the U.S. Marine Corps Commandant's required reading list; and is required reading at the FBI academy and numerous other academies and colleges..."

Perhaps it has changed status and it's not been updated on his website.

Sincerely,

Chris
    [/FONT]

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've met him a few times and sat through two of his seminars. I'm glad to hear that he is offering something similar for armed citizens. His "bulletproof mind" made a lot of sense when I first listened to it but after being involved in a shooting I listened to it again and it absolutely floored me.

It should be strongly recommended to anyone who plans to carry a weapon for self defense. The decision on whether or not a person is capable of taking a human life needs to be seriously considered before they find themselves in that position as there is no time to consider it during a conflict.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Yes, I am trying to be aware of this and avoid being at a location that has a school. I need to be extra careful should a church be available because if it has a day-care, I believe this is considered a school for the Gun-Free School Act.

I will be trying to find either a civics hall (Lions, KoC, Elks, etc), a hotel, or other large seminar room.

If anyone runs or knows of a location in central Indiana (doesn't necessarily have to be Indy), please email me. at the address below.

Thanks ahead of time for any/all help.

Sincerely,
    Chris

Just try and not do like they did in MI and schedule it to be held in a NPE (school in this case.).

Paul Gomez

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    You guys live in Indy. You ought to try and line something out with Paul Whitesell. The best of Grossman's material is derivative of Whitesell and Futrell.

www.DocWhitesell.com

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=272pjrSaVKs[/ame]

Last edited:

Brian@ITC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Richmond, IN
    I’ve seen Grossman and he has some really good stuff. I’ve got his books and cds. I cannot say enough good about them! If you get a chance to go, DON’T miss it!!!

Thanks Paul for the share. I’m going to look into them myself.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I've seen Grossman, IMO he's as good as it gets. I last traveled to Cleveland and spent the night in order to see him. If he comes to Indy..that's a kiss! I highly recommend him. Well worth the time and effort.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Dinner with Dave

Well, the stars and planets aligned and I was able to have dinner with Colonel Grossman and his right-hand-man and S3, Chris. It was a great honor.

Dave was as personable as could be and we had a great discussion about many topics.

Dave is committed to bringing his American Sheepdog: The Bulletproof Mind for the Armed Citizen to central Indiana. And I am committed to being his boots-on-the-ground to make it possible.

I am working with Chris to iron out the logistics. I am thinking somewhere around this time next year; late March to early April. I am looking to find a venue that will suit his needs. He suggested I initially look at finding a church around town. I think this is a possibility and have been speaking to a couple of friends about this. It needs to be one without a school and I think without a daycare, since I think they are considered "schools" in the eyes of the Feds.

If anyone is in charge of a venue that would be willing to work with me, please email me at: chris@TrainToBeSafe.com.

It's going to be terrific.

You can get a feel for Dave by watching this short interview he did for the US Carry Concealed Association and by visiting his website: www.Killology.com.

More to come as things unfold....

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Well, the stars and planets aligned and I was able to have dinner with Colonel Grossman and his right-hand-man and S3, Chris. It was a great honor.

Dave was as personable as could be and we had a great discussion about many topics.

Dave is committed to bringing his American Sheepdog: The Bulletproof Mind for the Armed Citizen to central Indiana. And I am committed to being his boots-on-the-ground to make it possible.

I am working with Chris to iron out the logistics. I am thinking somewhere around this time next year; late March to early April. I am looking to find a venue that will suit his needs. He suggested I initially look at finding a church around town. I think this is a possibility and have been speaking to a couple of friends about this. It needs to be one without a school and I think without a daycare, since I think they are considered "schools" in the eyes of the Feds.

If anyone is in charge of a venue that would be willing to work with me, please email me at: chris@TrainToBeSafe.com.

It's going to be terrific.

You can get a feel for Dave by watching this short interview he did for the US Carry Concealed Association and by visiting his website: www.Killology.com.

More to come as things unfold....
    What about a college campus' lecture rooms....no laws, just school policies which only affect students/faculty

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Thanks for the suggestion.

However, for this first time I am going to try to hold it in a place where there will be less likelihood of any problems. Colleges (aka schools) may cause issues that we (meaning me) don't need to contend with. Of course, these are the exact places that need to hear Grossman's message but they may be less than open to it.

It's going to be hard enough for me to get this thing of the ground without having to contend with the "open mindedness" of the average college population.

Of course, after a successful event, when this is an annual occurrence, then we can hold it any dang place we want!!!

I think a church or civics hall (Lions, American Legion, etc) may be the best bet. Hopefully it will be a little lower cost than having it at a hotel or convention center.

I spoke to a wonderful lady at Buckeye Firearms Association in Ohio, they are the folks that put on the one I went to last year in Columbus, OH and the one this year in Cincy. She was very helpful but scared the hell out of me with all the logistical stuff that needs to be done as well as the up-front costs.

I am still committed to bringing the Colonel here by this time next year. It will happen.

Stayed tuned and if you can help, please let me know.
    I need help/advice with:
    - Planning an event such as this
    - Finding a venue that:

• will accommodate 200+ people
    • preferably has wireless audio capabilities (Dave is a very mobile speaker)
    • has capabilities to have visual display. IE: Overhead projector
    • has a space for refreshments to be served (coffee, etc)
    • has a space for booths to be set up for any sponsors
    • other helpful stuff for such an event

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    an help, please let me know.
    I need help/advice with:
    - Planning an event such as this
    - Finding a venue that:

• will accommodate 200+ people
    • preferably has wireless audio capabilities (Dave is a very mobile speaker)
    • has capabilities to have visual display. IE: Overhead projector
    • has a space for refreshments to be served (coffee, etc)
    • has a space for booths to be set up for any sponsors
    • other helpful stuff for such an event

He's going to need to show PowerPoint presentations too, so you'll need a Projector. I don't remember if he played any videos, but I think he did, so you'll need to be able to play computer audio as well.

Maybe another microphone for Q/A sessions also.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Thanks!!! I don't recall him doing PowerPoint or playing videos at the one I attended but perhaps he has variations. I do have a projector, should he need one, so I think I am good there.

I think his S3 indicated I'd be given a list of needed equipment. I just need to make sure the venue can support it all!!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom