• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I know this has been discussed in other threads, but I spoke to a police officer today that I know and he said in the county I live in -- Vanderburgh -- the LTCH shows up when they run your driver's license. He said all folks who apply here are tracked locally -- even the ones that are denied. So in other words, if I were to get pulled over here in either Evansville or in the county, the police officer would see I have a LTCH when they run my license. Pretty interesting.

BTW, this guy is super nice and really supports gun rights for everybody. We spent some time today comparing his AR-15 to my SIG 556.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    As a matter of fact I did!

He works 2nd shift and lots of extra security stuff. He's a great, down to earth cop that loves guns. We're going to go shooting next week some time if we can get our schedules to match up.

Fenway -- this is a great site BTW!

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    That is interesting information.

I think it makes sense: gives the officer some indication of the person they are going to encounter.

Traffic stops have to be one of the most dangerous events an officer can be routinely involved in.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    I would assume this would only happen if you applied for your license through Vanderburgh county. Unless the county is buying the database from the state, I don't think someone from say, Indy would show up as LTCH in their system.

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    While listening to the scanner I have heard local officers ask the couny dispatcher if they could run a persons license to check if the had a valid license to carry after they stopped a vehicle with a handgun in it. Each time they were told no. Maybe the smaller less funded agencies don't have this capability???

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    As of last summer anyway, when Brownsburg town PD ran your DL or plate, it didn't show up.
    I just happen to know that.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I used to hate that when I lived in Michigan. All permits were linked to your license plates so they knew before coming up to the window that you had a permit.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I'm actually surprised that the state government hasn't implemented a system statewide regarding LTCHs. It just seems like everything we do goes through three layers of government. It would be interesting to gather up a statewide database on which counties connect the LTCHs with the driver's license.

hunter480

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Coatesville, In.
    I used to hate that when I lived in Michigan. All permits were linked to your license plates so they knew before coming up to the window that you had a permit.

I understand not being happy with that information linked to your drivers license, but still.......

Besides a domestic dispute, a routine traffic stop is likely the most dangerous situation a law enforcemnt officer can encounter. Now, I know you`ll say, that because you`re a good guy, i.e. you have a lawful permit to carry, the bad guys won`t, what good does it do-but even at that, if I were an LEO, I`d want that kind of information available to me.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Just thinking out loud here...

Couldn't the Sheriff Department of Police Department turn the information (since they handle the first portion of the permit) to the local dispatch office? The dispatcher could then enter into the system. I think my law enforcement friend told me it was handled locally.

I know you can run background checks at the Civic Center here on anyone in Vanderburgh County -- but only in Vanderburgh County. Maybe it is tied into this system.

Top Bottom