• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm going to need some more media soon. Has anyone tried this brand. I like the fact it comes with the polish already added. Also, I'm using corn cob media that came with my tumbler. Is there really a difference between it and walnut media in terms of how well it cleans?

Mephitical

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Lebanon
    I have both walnut and corn media, but have not tried the Lyman. From my personal experience the corn seems to polish better than the walnut. It may be the types I'm using and I haven't used any others. I generally use the walnut to clean cases after they're deprimed or after lubing rifle cases. Then I will throw any cases I want real shiny into the corn media.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Patriot - I have about 50lbs of media here. Stop by sometime and I'll give you 10lbs. No need to buy that stuff. And get a cheap bottle of liquid car wax. It's the best polish on the market.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Untreated corn cob takes a long time and does not really remove the scorched powder residue. Corn cob blasting media is untreated. It works great of you add some polishing grit, like the Dillon case polish. Grafs, Midway, Lyman, Hornady and many other have some type of polish to add. Like Andrew said, cheap liquid car polish works for him. Walnut media is the same way, it really works best with some type of polish. It seems that walnut media gets that reall fine dust pretty quick. The only benefit I enjoy about walnut is it makes my garage small like my grandmother is baking deserts.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    I was never a fan of metal polish due to the abrasive qualities of the polish. Anything you put on the case ends up in the barrel. The thought of putting an abrasive in a barrel I waited 6 months for seems ludicrous. I just leave it in there a little longer and it will do the same job with untreated corn cob. If it's got gunk on it, just add a couple oz's of mineral spirits to remove the residue.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    cheap bottle of liquid car wax. how does that work, you just soak it or something?
    You add a little bit to your media in the tumbler, close the lid, run the tumbler with just the media/polish for about 10 minutes. This spreads the polish around. Then add your brass and run the tumbler as you normally would.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Mineral spirits is a good solvent, but mineral spirits in corn cob, vibrating. As the vibrations start to warm things up, doesn't that open the door for spontanous combustion? Not rying to give you grief, but I would be worried about burning down my house.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I've used liquid rubbing compound for years without any issues. Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't understand how car wax would work. Can someone explain?

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Even cheaper here
    Econoline 526040G-40 Blast Media, 40 Lbs, Corn Cob, 20/40 Grit

$26 Shipped. Can't beat it, even with a stick.

That's what I use.

I use the Frankford arsenal brass polish as an additive, mostly because I had a bottle of it lying around. Car polish works too. Just a tiny bit goes a long way.

I like corncob because it's less dusty than walnut and gives the brass a better shine. It does take longer though.

I'm using the Frankford brass polish as well since it came with my tumbler.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I was thinking of using the Frankford tumbler, with the corncob media. Sounds like it helps to use a little polish with the media. How much polish is recomended putting in with he media?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The frankfort case polish has mixing instructions on the label. I do not remember them, but it is like a few spoonfuls per lb of media. I just squirt some in, run it a few minutes, and add the brass. It does not seem too scientific. I think the deal with liquid car polish is cleaner/wax. The polishing grit is already in with the wax.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Mineral spirits is a good solvent, but mineral spirits in corn cob, vibrating. As the vibrations start to warm things up, doesn't that open the door for spontanous combustion? Not rying to give you grief, but I would be worried about burning down my house.

It's never caused an issue in the 15 years I've been doing it. It's such a small amount that it really doesn't smell things up. I doubt the tumbler gets the brass up to 100 degrees on a hot day. No offense taken, we're all here to share ideas and expand our knowledge base. It's how we become better at what we do.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Meister, Thanks for clearing that up, does the little bit of mineral spirits keep the dust down? I think if I try a tiny bit of spirits, I will move my tumbler, as it now sits right next to the furnace and hot water heater.

Top Bottom