• ...and so much more!
  • bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    I don't own and really know much about AR's. I'm looking at possibly jumping into the platform with the upper Palmetto has on sale and a complete lower or the complete M&P 15 Sport.

My question is on the M&P 15 Sport. I keep seeing people talking about these AR's not having a dust cover or forward assist. Looks like it's debatable whether either or necessary. My question is, can't either of these two items simply be added easily on the cheap if so desired?

Aren't these the items in question? If so, we're talking about less than $20 (w/o shipping) and some time to install?

AR-15 Ejection Port Cover Assembly

AR15 Forward Assist Assembly

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    No they can't be added because the place those parts would be installed doesn't exist on the upper. Its not that they just don't put those parts on the rifle, there isn't a place to put them.

See, no place to add the cover or the forward assist.

811036_01_lg.jpg

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If it's just going to be a range rifle, there is really no need for either. In my opinion, those two items where intended for a combat environment. I was seriously considering the S&W, until I inherited my Bushmaster.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    If it's just going to be a range rifle, there is really no need for either. In my opinion, those two items where intended for a combat environment. I was seriously considering the S&W, until I inherited my Bushmaster.

This was my understanding as well. Unless you plan on getting your gun extremely dirty, and not cleaning it regularly, you shouldn't need them. The dust cover was only to keep dust and debris away from the action, and the forward assist in the event that crap did get in there and hindered the action from closing completely you could assist the gun by pushing on the forward assist, basically forcing it closed.

The likelihood that the average gun owner would find himself in NEED of either one is questionable. I'm sure the die hard former military type would probably insist their AR's have them. I don't think I'll ever need them since I don't plan on going into serious combat.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    This was my understanding as well. Unless you plan on getting your gun extremely dirty, and not cleaning it regularly, you shouldn't need them. The dust cover was only to keep dust and debris away from the action, and the forward assist in the event that crap did get in there and hindered the action from closing completely you could assist the gun by pushing on the forward assist, basically forcing it closed.

The likelihood that the average gun owner would find himself in NEED of either one is questionable. I'm sure the die hard former military type would probably insist their AR's have them. I don't think I'll ever need them since I don't plan on going into serious combat.

Just add to what you posted. I have nearly 1,000 rounds through my Bushmaster, and have yet to detail clean it. The most I have done is clean the barrel, and spray the bolt with a little gun scrub and some rem oil. If you shot a lot in sand or dirt filled environments, and it used as you MBR. Then I would consider the FA and DC. Hell, in the service we qualified at a Navy base that was right on the beach. On a windy day, sand was blowing everywhere. I never once had to use the forward assist. Of course it was not the desert either, but still.

Top Bottom