• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Not a huge fan of these "this gun vs this gun" comparisons, but need to hear some feedback on both of these because I may be selling one of my other guns to pick one of these up. I have a Beretta 96 in .40 and a Beretta 92 in 9mm. Kind of a waste almost to have both, even though I love both so may sell the 92. I was told recently at a handgun training class that my hands are smaller so I should get something a little smaller than a Beretta, so the M&P 9mm or Ruger SR9 are some that were recommended. I have shot the M&P in a compact and enjoyed it, but I would get it full size. Have not shot the Ruger SR9. Feedback on both would be most appreciated.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I had an MP9 full size and it's a great handgun. I have put at least 2000 trouble free rounds through it. It's more accurate than most shooters and eats anything, even steel cased.

I say had, because after my wife shot it the first time she gave me that million dollar smile and said "what are you gonna shoot". Soooooo, it's now hers and I went out and bought an MP9c.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I've shot both and would take the M&P any day of the week. The Ruger is a decent gun, but the M&P outshines it in ergonomics, sights and trigger pull. I'm also not a fan of the Ruger's manual safety and "mailbox flag" loaded chamber indicator.

My :twocents:

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've shot both, and liked both. The Ruger was more comfortable for me, however, and I actually like the trigger. I also like the thinner grip on the Ruger. I've got well over 1k through mine, and yes, it eats steel case ammo just fine, as well as anything else.

I'd try to get a chance to shoot both and pick the one that feels best to you. I think they are both well made guns from two great American companies that are very reliable and rugged.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Between those two I would go with the Ruger but that is just my personal preference. I do not like anything about the M&P pistols. Not bashing them as I have seen them run and run well, just not my cup of tea. I have shot an sr9c a few times and the sr9 once and they both felt pretty good to me. There were a couple minor things that I did not care for, but I still much prefer it over an m&p.

Like several have stated before me, if at all possible see if you can get some trigger time in with both of them and see what feels best to you. Both are great guns and either of them would serve you well, just have to find which one you like best. Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Like the look and feel of the m&p but I was hesitant of the polymer frame since I have had some in the past and did not like them. But, after shooting one those fears went away. I am curious about the sr9 frame. Is it plastic or...? Thought I read somewhere that it was glass fiber or something? Seems like it would not be very sturdy.

Knuckle Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    NWI
    I can only speak to the M&P. I shot .40 in both full size ( a few weeks ago) and c model (this weekend) and are both pretty sweet to shoot. They also have the backstrap options to adjust to hand size, for what its worth.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I've shot both and would take the M&P any day of the week. The Ruger is a decent gun, but the M&P outshines it in ergonomics, sights and trigger pull. I'm also not a fan of the Ruger's manual safety and "mailbox flag" loaded chamber indicator.

My :twocents:

I completely agree here with all but one comment (and of course this is all just person preference) and that would be the out-the-box trigger. I think it just feels better on the Ruger. Little less travel, and not as spongy as the M&P. I also, completely loathe that huge red obtrusion they call a loaded chamber indicator.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I like Ruger, but their triggers are usually not great, and their quality is usually equal to their price, which is fair. Full disclosure, I own the Ruger P95 and LCP, but never touched an SR9 though.

M&P's, of which I just bought a second full size after loving the compact, are a supreme value for $400-$500. It is almost like getting a Cadillac for the price of a Buick. I have other more expensive pistols that I like, but None are as accurate and quick and easy to shoot, so they have all become second best to my M&P's.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Not a huge fan of these "this gun vs this gun" comparisons, but need to hear some feedback on both of these because I may be selling one of my other guns to pick one of these up. I have a Beretta 96 in .40 and a Beretta 92 in 9mm. Kind of a waste almost to have both, even though I love both so may sell the 92. I was told recently at a handgun training class that my hands are smaller so I should get something a little smaller than a Beretta, so the M&P 9mm or Ruger SR9 are some that were recommended. I have shot the M&P in a compact and enjoyed it, but I would get it full size. Have not shot the Ruger SR9. Feedback on both would be most appreciated.

I'd say shoot em both before you decide. and then get the one you want. I chose the MP 9mm Pro (5" barrel) because it fit my hand perfectly. My brother bought the SR9c, because of how it felt in his hand. You really can't go wrong with either one.

On the MP's, make sure you try all 3 backstraps. They make a world of difference.

I've got about 6,000 rounds through mine....only problem I have ever had was with a worn magazine release...S&W fired me off a new one that arrived in 3 days. Gun works like brand new now. S&W customer service is outstanding.

ike1018

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have only handled the SR9c, but have shot the M&P. I didn't like the ergonomics of the SR9 myself, love the ergos of the M&P. I have Glocks right now 19/26 and am seriously considering making the switch to the M&P9c/Shield because of the ergonomics, and more natural point of aim for me. Recommend minimally handling both, ideally shooting both.

Top Bottom