• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My M&P 2.0 Pro Series has some serious texturing on the backstrap. I'd say it's about 8/10th of the sandpaper Talon grips. It works great but carrying it eats my shirt and can leave a good scrape on my forearm if I swipe it with some force.

What would be the best method to take some of the bite out of it? I'd assume sandpaper but what grit? Or is there another way to slowly take the texturing down until I find the happy medium?

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    My M&P 2.0 Pro Series has some serious texturing on the backstrap. I'd say it's about 8/10th of the sandpaper Talon grips. It works great but carrying it eats my shirt and can leave a good scrape on my forearm if I swipe it with some force.

What would be the best method to take some of the bite out of it? I'd assume sandpaper but what grit? Or is there another way to slowly take the texturing down until I find the happy medium?
    Laser :-D

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John

Perhaps try something temporary first e.g., adhesive tape or moleskin on the backstrap. Sanding might be considered a defect, if at some point you would want to sell the gun.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Maybe carb cleaner or acetone on a rag to soften the polymer enough to just press it down a bit?

Or how about a heat gun to soften it. then wearing a leather glove hold and squeeze the area to slightly flatten the texure in select areas.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I ran a fine grit sandpaper on the sides and front of the grip. I have a CT grip that replaces the backstrap.

Practiced on the small insert to see what I thought I wanted it to feel like.

Not only was a tearing my skin and shirts but the texture is so rough that I found my shirt riding up, thus ruining the concealed portion of my carry.

For what it's worth my old carry rear sights were too sharp and tore me up so I took a small fine file to the edges.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Thread 'DIY Rubberized grips' https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/diy-rubberized-grips.502711/

Try this it works great.

Edit:
    Another idea I just had was to try a qrt of Flex Seal and use a small brush and paint it on where you want it use a heat gun to speed drying put masking tape on areas you don't want it getting on if you don't trust your hands and or eyes.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Thread 'DIY Rubberized grips' https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/diy-rubberized-grips.502711/

Try this it works great.
    Thanks. I beat you to that by about 6 years.

I know this is an option but I wanted to see if if knocking it down a bit.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Thanks. I beat you to that by about 6 years.

I know this is an option but I wanted to see if if knocking it down a bit.
    Try some fine sandpaper and lightly go over it until it's where you want it. Like auto body sandpaper. Try a few different ones to see which one works best.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Perhaps try something temporary first e.g., adhesive tape or moleskin on the backstrap. Sanding might be considered a defect, if at some point you would want to sell the gun.
    Back straps on an M&P should be swappable, so if it doesn't pan out just get another backstrap (though it should have a couple of others in different sizes anyway)

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Top Bottom