• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gearhead101

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Picking up a M&P 9 Pro Series this weekend. A friends (another INGO member) father in law is selling his with a low round count and some extras for a great price so I couldn't pass it up.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Picking up a M&P 9 Pro Series this weekend. A friends (another INGO member) father in law is selling his with a low round count and some extras for a great price so I couldn't pass it up.

Congrats to you, and a great choice I might add!

May you have as much fun and enjoyment from your M&P9 Pro as I've had from mine.

pro9hst.jpg

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    Any suggestions on plinking ammo and PD?

PD I'm partial to Speer Gold Dots. Almost any reputable brand will do, it's just usually what you pick up first.

Plinking, I get the crappiest crap I can get my hands on, because it's cheap and affords a lot of practice. i.e.: Tula or Wolf

And on the argument of the M&P, Glock, and XD. I would put the M&P in the top tier and the XD below it. The XD has some strange ergonomics, a grip safety that nearly ruins it for me, and dry firing all three, the XD feels...slow.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Any suggestions on plinking ammo and PD?

The M&P9 Pro has a 1 in 18.75 twist rate, which means that your best bullet stability will be with 115g and 124gr bullets. By comparison, the CZ75 has a 1 in 10 twist rate and the Glock G17/G19/G34 have a twist rate of 1 in 9.84. All of these pistols do quite well at stabilizing 147gr bullets, and can over-stabilize the lighter bullets. The XD line of pistols use a 1 in 16 twist rate, and also tend to favor lighter or faster bullets.

My advise would be to stick on the lighter side of the 9mm bullet weight spectum, and buy several brands to see what your M&P9 Pro shoots best. If you load your own, I would also stay with lighter bullets, unless you want to drive some 147's really fast.

I am convinced that quite a few complaints about M&P 9mm accuracy issues have more to do with improper bullet selection than it does with the pistol itself. Some folks seem to think that if it shoots well from my Glock, then it should shoot well from my M&P... That simply isn't the case. You really have to choose your ammo based on your specific pistol.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Great info - I never knew my pistol twist rates. Can you explain 'over-stabilize' for me?

In terms of rifles, a too fast twist rate will over-stabilize the bullet, and the bullet will stay tipped up on its downward trajectory. This can have a very noticeable effect on accuracy over longer distances.

In terms of handgun distances, there is another negative effect on accuracy. This effect happens when a bullet changes from the mechanical center of gravity provided by the confines of the barrel, to its own center of gravity once it leaves the barrel. When the bullet leaves the barrel, it is not traveling like a laser beam, but rather in a cork screw pattern as it spins toward its destination. The utmost in accuracy is achieved once a bullet is fully stabilized, and the cork screw pattern is the tightest. Any increase in rotation past stabilization can only exaggerate the cork screw effect as the bullet takes on its own center of gravity. This negative impact on accuracy may not be as acute as the rifle range example, but it is still a negative.

gearhead101

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the info! I've been the Winchester 100 rd white boxes can be had at Walmart for $20 so that'll probably be my plinking ammo. PD I'll be doing trial and error to see if my gun likes one over the other between gold dots, hornady and a couple others.

krvincen

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    May 20, 2011
    Osceola
    Ive owned all three, and feel as though you really can't go wrong with any of them. The key is to find which you shoot better as grip angles vary amongst them, as well as the length of trigger reset. For me, after nearly 20 years of owning nothing but glocks (I started with the first gen pebble grain 17) the first time I fired my friends m&p I sold my G22 and bought an M&P .40. Just fits my hand best, grip angle suits be better, and trigger reset seemed shorter which I liked alot. They are all great pistols!!

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    I'm still loving my 3 9mm Xdms. I have two compacts - one black and one stainless/black and one full size with a stainless slide and OD frame. By far these are the easiest shooting guns I've ever owned and I've owned and carried a LOT over the last 20+ years.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Probably Police/Civilian street combat....I don't have any numbers though. I wonder if the XD/XDm has had much Police adoption? This should be public record I'd think.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Have you had a chance to shoot the XD yet? I noticed that you and I don't live far from each other. I would be willing to meet with you to let you shoot my XD9SC if you are interested. It's my EDC and I'm quite pleased with it.

Top Bottom