• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    More stupid group think. Any USGI weapon WWI or newer will stand up to MUCH more abuse then you could ever think of dishing out. 1911, Carbine, or whatever. These weapons were put thru HELL and back time and time over. Most of these were run hard, put away wet, used to paddle canoes, hammer tent pegs..... and all manner of abuse a GI could dish out. Why not, uncle sugar just handed out more if they wore out.

I would trust my life to USGI before any gun store special taticool gun!

I can only guess that people are afraid to shoot GI 1911s because they are getting so damn expensive. I say shoot them until they break, replace what breaks, and then shoot them a hell of a lot more.

I mean I guess if it's unissused or near that there is some collecabillity and those should be put back. But if it's a mixmaster, shoot the living hell out of it.

threegen.jpg

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I don't think this group was actually recommending not shooting the weapon. :dunno:

We're kind of all in violent agreement about getting to the range early and often!:ar15:

maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have two ibm carbines one is 3954118 and the other is 3883471 both are correct with round bolts adjustable rear sight and type 2 barrel bands. they great fun to shoot and my kids love them. I have owned many carbines and the best advice I can give is to stick to the usgi carbines.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    yes assembly and disassembly without that little tool takes several strong men and a little stud monkey. well worth the money (sarco has them)

Thanks, I'll have to check again, the last time I tried to order one they showed they had them then e-mailed me that they weren't available.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Thor I found these just now. Hopefully this isn't the same place you just mentioned.
    I've bought from them in the past and all went well.
    I hadn't looked at parts and accessories for several months and.....of course the prices have increased.
    If you have trouble finding a bolt tool send me a PM and I can get it put together for you.
    I'm not sure where you are but likely you could mail it to me.

Sherluk Marketing & Trading

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I took the IBM out and ran 50 rounds through it this afternoon. What a nice little rifle. Sure, it's not as accurate as an AR and you cannot tack on all sorts of tacti-cool parts, but it really is a handy rifle. Not to mention, it's just plain fun to shoot too.

Last edited:

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I took the IBM out and ran 50 rounds through it this afternoon. What a nice little rifle. Sure, it's not as accurate as an AR and you cannot tack on all sorts of tacti-cool parts, but it really is a handy rifle. Not to mention, it's just plain fun to shoot too.

I love 'em. Just a all around great gun to shoot. My gun bucket list includes the M2 version.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Glad you took her out! I really enjoy mine. They're very good at what they were designed to do. They were never meant to have the range or accuracy of an AR, but at 100 yards or less, they're plenty accurate. :)

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I have a arsenal refurbished 43 Winchester that I gave $200 for about 25 years ago. It has the adjustable sight (staked about 7 times too) and flat bolt. Nice shooter, puts the little 110 grain pills right where it is pointed. My 15 yr old son loves it and he knows it will be his someday. He wants a Garand, M1A and Springfield 1903 to go with it... he best get a good paying job is all I can say.

My FAL is my goto if necessary, but I wouldn't feel bad handing the carbine to the boy to watch my back. He likes shooting it more than the SKS that is my main backup.

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    My M1 would start out flipping the brass forward , which I thought would be handy if in a fox hole or in a trench .

As it warmed up , the brass would move back , back , back ... until the brass would hit me in the forehead

hot brass would land on top of my glasses and burn me right were my eyebrow is .

Then I knew it was time to move on and shoot a different gun . :)

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Glad you took her out! I really enjoy mine. They're very good at what they were designed to do. They were never meant to have the range or accuracy of an AR, but at 100 yards or less, they're plenty accurate. :)

I was forced to shoot an M-1 Carbine at 200 yards. The range was full and the only available spaces for my sons and I to use were the long range ones. I had the idea that I would do poorly at that range because my eyes have a few years on them and I have been near-sighted since I was 12. I just assumed I would not be able to see well enough at that range, even with contact lenses, to even hit a man-sized silhouette. Using an M-1 Carbine, I figured it would be a poor day of shooting and my military trained boys would have a good laugh at dear old dad's civilian marksmanship.

We mounted two bull's eye targets, one above the other, and I blazed away. I fired the initial mag slowly, with my eagle-eye-Marine son spotting for me, while his National Guard big brother (well, older brother— the "baby" has four inches and 50 pounds on older brother) used the scope on my 10/22. I was spot on with the windage; but while I was aiming at the top target, I hitting the bottom one—about 6-8 inches low if memory serves. Older brother asked a few questions and adjusted the rear sight on the carbine. Second mag yielded a 4" spread. It met my standard for good shooting, I could cover all holes with my hand.

Yes, I was seated at the firing table with elbows supporting the carbine, but I could hold a hand-sized group at 200 years! I call that great accuracy for M-1 Carbine. I agree, it probably will not do what an AR can do at 3-400 yards, but it is good to go at 200 even in the hands of old fart with bad eyes!

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I was forced to shoot an M-1 Carbine at 200 yards. The range was full and the only available spaces for my sons and I to use were the long range ones. I had the idea that I would do poorly at that range because my eyes have a few years on them and I have been near-sighted since I was 12. I just assumed I would not be able to see well enough at that range, even with contact lenses, to even hit a man-sized silhouette. Using an M-1 Carbine, I figured it would be a poor day of shooting and my military trained boys would have a good laugh at dear old dad's civilian marksmanship.

We mounted two bull's eye targets, one above the other, and I blazed away. I fired the initial mag slowly, with my eagle-eye-Marine son spotting for me, while his National Guard big brother (well, older brother— the "baby" has four inches and 50 pounds on older brother) used the scope on my 10/22. I was spot on with the windage; but while I was aiming at the top target, I hitting the bottom one—about 6-8 inches low if memory serves. Older brother asked a few questions and adjusted the rear sight on the carbine. Second mag yielded a 4" spread. It met my standard for good shooting, I could cover all holes with my hand.

Yes, I was seated at the firing table with elbows supporting the carbine, but I could hold a hand-sized group at 200 years! I call that great accuracy for M-1 Carbine. I agree, it probably will not do what an AR can do at 3-400 yards, but it is good to go at 200 even in the hands of old fart with bad eyes!

That's some excellent shooting in my opinion, especially considering vision constraints.
    Many of these old Carbines still have good shooting barrels.
    The longer I shoot eye strain sets in and my vision blurs. This really doesn't take long to happen. I have to rest my eyes for a bit.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Thor I found these just now. Hopefully this isn't the same place you just mentioned.
    I've bought from them in the past and all went well.
    I hadn't looked at parts and accessories for several months and.....of course the prices have increased.
    If you have trouble finding a bolt tool send me a PM and I can get it put together for you.
    I'm not sure where you are but likely you could mail it to me.

Sherluk Marketing & Trading

Thanks for the link and the offer! Luckily I had a spare and am not in a rush to fix the broken one...but I will keep this in mind.

Top Bottom