• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    Picked up my first Garand a few weeks back. Collector grade 5-55. Looking at picking up some accessory pieces over time to add with it. I'm aware of the usual issued pieces, sling, bayonet etc.
    One that caught my eye is the grenade launcher sight and adapter. Prices seem reasonable. Questions are :

How did the Grenade launcher work / what round propelled the grenade ?
    (not that I plan on launching any in the future, I have ringing in the ears already :D)

What other interesting, Garand related collectable pieces have other members found, rarity, price range ?

Any REAL Army surplus stores around that have WWII / Korean war items like this ?

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I've seen the grenade launcher muzzle mount for around 75.00, then you buy blanks, believe they have to be a certain type of blank. I bought a practice dummy round at INDY 1500 for around 18.00....just for show. I believe there is a sight that mounts on the side, you would have to drill the stock and I don't think you want to do that.....in the war who knows if they used them....I had a M203 in the Army that had a sight system***,na.....instincts, just fling em out there and adjust...fun times.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I think the launcher at the muzzle has different lines....ea. line represent how far the grenade would travel......check gun broker.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-sSqK3pCmE[/ame]

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    So a blank cartridge was used, makes sense. Neat video Gunner, thanks!
    Your correct on not wanting to drill the stock. I think I'll just have buy the sight as a collection piece.

Did some searching and the launching adapter was termed an M7 and the practice grenade was M31.

Last edited:

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Over the years there were 3 grenade launching cartridges, which were different than a blank. I don't pretend to know anything about them but it's safe to assume that they were loaded to safely fire a heavy grenade versus a blank that just made noise.
    There really isn't a lot of accessories for a Garand that come to mind other than a few obscure things that you never actually see.
    A canvas case would be a nice accessory to have, and an M1950 parachutist weapons drop case.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom