• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Range report! Today my son an I went to Bass n Bucks Range. I tried out my scope mounted M14A for the first time, an took the scoped Garand along too.
    The Garand held its zero from last time, shooting a little to the left...why I hadn't adjusted before this shooting I don't know. The M14 found its zero quickly at 55 yds...then at 110 yds it started to drift left....my mount was getting loose!!! I really torqued the knobs down an after re-zeroing it stayed tight for the rest of the time....I think before shooting next time I will take off an lock tight the living daylights out of them. At 110 yds I got 2 shots 1.25" high an right, an one shot .25" high an right 2"....making for a 2" 3 shot group. Was using German 92' MEN 7.62 ammo. A guy I talked to thought that was pretty good shooting with milsurp. I then shot at the 210 yd target sombody had left up using the 200 yd. circle on the BDC cross hairs....it hit way high...so used the cross hairs for the 110 yd. After about 5 shots my son said I got about a 5" group around the bullseye...I used a piece of wood with a V slot for a rest, but nothing supporting the butt. Next was the 350 yd. target...but my son got me to try the gong that was human size with a head. I put the cross hairs on the head an the 200 yd circle of the BDC cross hair on the body....Bang!..........gong!!!....YES!!! Then my son said I had hit the ground an it bounced an hit the gong...I don't care i killed it!! So I put the next circle on it which is the 300 yd circle an was nailing it most of the time, although I had to aim to the far left side. since I was hitting high an alittle right at 110 yds I dropped 4 clicks an 2 left an then went to the 540 yd. target. That was a lost cause, the dirt was to wet an had no ideal where we were hitting.....so we went to the 740 yd target...a couple shots later I decided you had to put the very bottom of the cross hair just as it becomes fatter (duplex type) about 2' high of target....I never hit the 10" gong, but sometimes we could see some wet dirt kick up close....My son then fired it an the second shot hit the gong an kicke it around.....he was happy! The German ammo seems to be more accurate thn the greek HXP ammo for the Garand, I got a 5" group at 110yds with it an last time out got about a 11" group at 210 yds....someday I will start to reload for the Garand an I'm sure the accuracy will improve alot.

M14A Fed. Ord. USGI 1961 HR barrel ME.8
    Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40 BDC scope 179.0
    Generation 3 scope mount 28.00
    Scope rings 4.95

M1 Garand 1955 HRA ME 2.0
    S/K scope mount & rings 105.00
    Tasco 3-9 scope over 30 yrs. old

picture.php

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Good report. The M14 are pretty notorious for problems with scope mounts. I have the Sadlak mount and it is extremely solid and they have a good rep for customer service. They are expensive though.

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    I too have the problem with scope mounts coming loose. In 200 rounds last weekend threw my M1A I had the scope base come loose 3 times. This is another reason why I am switching to the Troy MCS for my M1A.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    If you actually managed to have the bullet hit the ground and then bounce up and hit the gong, I'd say that's even more impressive.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    If you actually managed to have the bullet hit the ground and then bounce up and hit the gong, I'd say that's even more impressive.

Ha....I'll remember to tell my son that! I just looked at my mount, after tightening it I made marks an it had not loosened, however I was able to tighten one knob by a good 1/8"....my son believes its not coming loose, but that soft bolts were used an they are stretching......since this was a 28.00 mount we believe is came from China, so I'm going to hardware store an buying a couple hardened or stainless steel bolts, then locktiteing them down for the next shoot. I also had sanded the crap out of a new wood handgaurd to get it to fit without touching the barrel or lower stock. after shooting it was touching the stock in a couple places so did just a little more work on it for perhaps a smidgen better accuracy...?

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I have used the Sadlac mount for the last two years and have never had an issue with it coming loose. As stated above they are expensive. but they are worth the money.

Top Bottom