• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Considering doing a M16A4 clone build. Any suggestions for a barrel? I know 20", and I'm thinking maybe a Wylde chamber, but 5.56 NATO would suffice. Kinda would prefer parkerized versus stainless, but maybe nitride/melonite would be ok. What about profile? Brownell's has Criterion barrels (never heard of them) in both HBAR and "Hybrid" (light) profiles. $270 for either.

Suggestions on the A2 stock would be good too. I picked one up from Midway about a year ago and it was terrible, but I can't remember what brand it was. Ended up returning it and getting a fixed Magpul stock for that build.

Any help would be appreciated.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Considering doing a M16A4 clone build. Any suggestions for a barrel? I know 20", and I'm thinking maybe a Wylde chamber, but 5.56 NATO would suffice. Kinda would prefer parkerized versus stainless, but maybe nitride/melonite would be ok. What about profile? Brownell's has Criterion barrels (never heard of them) in both HBAR and "Hybrid" (light) profiles. $270 for either.

Suggestions on the A2 stock would be good too. I picked one up from Midway about a year ago and it was terrible, but I can't remember what brand it was. Ended up returning it and getting a fixed Magpul stock for that build.

Do you want a "clone", or something similar? Cerebus pretty much outlined it!

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I'm leaning clone, at least as far as looks, but would still be ok with the NATO chamber. I would prefer the standard hand guards over the railed system too. Any thoughts on a good make of barrel as described by Cerberus?

Thanks for the feedback.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana

might try here for furniture U.S. Collectors Ordnance - USGI M16 A1 handguards buttplates and pistol grips

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis

Traildust surplus in Bloomington has -real- unfired USGI m16a4 barrels for a decent price. $140 ish if I remember right.

The surplus in Bedford has them too.

they come with an F marked FSB

Both will have A2 but stocks too, plus the A2 guards and a butt ton of other GI parts

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    If you keep watch on the Knight's Armament site you might be able to buy the M5 RAS "seconds" for $150.
    I'm not sure how often that deal comes along anymore. They show out of stock right now.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Holy cow! Thanks for all of the info/leads folks. Much appreciated. I wouldn't mind having the FN gun complete, but plan on building this one. Look forward to digging through some surplus parts!

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Oh, and yeah, I'm thinking I like the A2 hand guards versus the KAC rail, but still waffling a little. I don't plan on hanging any doo-dads on the rails, so don't think the added weight and cost is worth it.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Speaking of A4 rifles, I noticed that G&R Tactical has the Colt AR15A4 in stock. I thought those had dried up, but maybe there was another run of them lately.
    The Colt was actually a little less than the BCM A4.
    They also have complete 20" FN uppers.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Yeah, I saw that barrel at Brownell's. The price is good, especially since it comes with other parts. I wonder who makes it.

FN has barrels in stock, but they are $380. I don't mind putting money into the barrel though.

I would like to check out Traildust and Bedford Surplus, but that would be a 2 hour drive for me. Might make a good Saturday trip some time.

Top Bottom